Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Icon Product Shots

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    The ability to open or close wheel spacing/base on the fly would come in very handy for me. I'm hoping to find something in the bicycle aftermarket world that could do the same thing as the clamps on the front of the Icon and the camber tubes but be 'quick release', like some of the bike seat post clamps I've seen. I can imagine there'd be a margin of error for setting how tight the clamps are, too loose and you might buy yourself an endo, but a reasonably competent user might get really nice benefit from of a 'tool-less' wheelbase/width adjustment. I know I would. Now, if I could just work on the 'reasonably competent' part I might have something.
    They're standard seat tube clamps for a bike - designed on purpose so that you can go shop for the quick release ones from your local bike shop. As much as possible, we tried to make the adjustments tool-free. There's a lot of overlap on the front end tubes and the frame, and the clamping force needed to keep them in place is pretty low, actually - our tolerances are super tight on the tube-in-tube stuff that we do, which gives a pretty luxurious margin of error.

(Yeah, crappy luck about the competent thing)

The ability to open or close wheel spacing/base on the fly would come in very handy for me. I'm hoping to find something in the bicycle aftermarket world that could do the same thing as the clamps on the front of the Icon and the camber tubes but be 'quick release', like some of the bike seat post clamps I've seen. I can imagine there'd be a margin of error for setting how tight the clamps are, too loose and you might buy yourself an endo, but a reasonably competent user might get really nice benefit from of a 'tool-less' wheelbase/width adjustment. I know I would. Now, if I could just work on the 'reasonably competent' part I might have something.
    Does your wife know you are contemplating another chair?

I wouldn't be too concerned about the "facial plantaritis" factor if the clamps were too loose. In my limited experience with the prototype, I found it is actually harder to shorten the wheelbase than it was to lengthen it. I was able to shorten it by pushing very hard against a wall with the clamps completely released. Lengthening the wheelbase is where one could potentially get into trouble. I discovered a technique that allowed me to pull the front end out while still sitting in the chair. I would not recommend others attempt it because if one pulls too hard or extends it out too far, the front end could come out of the frame which could get ugly. I should add that there is more than enough tubing to achieve any reasonable length one would want.

Come to think of it, another "do not try this at home" disclaimer may be in order...
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 09-15-2011 at 11:24 PM.

I've ridden my 'other chair' without the front end, just as a joke, but it's do-able! The Wife is actually excited about the prospect of the Icon. One chair that could potentially replace 3. Comfy and adjustable like the GT, as light as the Mg, suspended and innovative like the M1. Those are each of the main reasons I use those chairs and they all apply to the Icon. Not to mention the Mg is bent, the GT is fixin' to fall apart, and the M1 is in pieces holding down my bedroom closet floor! . A new chair is in order...

Yes, my impression of the prototype was the same. The production unit is going to be even better, with little - if any - doubt in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Does your wife know you are contemplating another chair?

I wouldn't be too concerned about the "facial plantaritis" factor if the clamps were too loose. In my limited experience with the prototype, I found it is actually harder to shorten the wheelbase than it was to lengthen it. I was able to shorten it by pushing very hard against a wall with the clamps completely released. Lengthening the wheelbase is where one could potentially get into trouble. I discovered a technique that allowed me to pull the front end out while still sitting in the chair. I would not recommend others attempt it because if one pulls too hard or extends it out too far, the front end could come out of the frame which could get ugly. I should add that there is more than enough tubing to achieve any reasonable length one would want.

Come to think of it, another "do not try this at home" disclaimer may be in order...

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Good timing on these comments - I'm getting in more photos from our shoot last week, here is a series that shows some of the reconfigurations possible.

Attachment 42000

From left to right, we first put the chair into a configuration with the seat slammed as low as possible in the rear with a lot of seat angle, the COG moved way back, and the overall length as short as possible. Then we moved the whole seat up in space, reduced the seat angle, moved the COG forward by a couple of inches, and reconfigured the overall length to about the midway point. In the last image, we raised the seat to the max height, took out all of the seat angle, moved the COG to almost zero, and made the overall length as long as possible.

If you look carefully, in the first photo, the back angle is pretty much at a 90, in the second, it's reclined a little bit, and in the third, it has some positive angle on it. In the third photo, the seat is actually higher in the back than the front - this is also by design - in the market testing that we did, we had a couple therapists point out situations where someone might need a seat that's higher in the back than the front.

I'm liking what's behind door number 2! Looks just about right. Question: is the available suspension travel different for each configuration?

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I'm liking what's behind door number 2! Looks just about right. Question: is the available suspension travel different for each configuration?
    It's the same - because the shock always travels in the same direction, it engages in the same way too.

The one thing that changes is how much air you need in the shock, which is affected by all of the reconfigurable elements, but probably the most by the COG - as the COG moves in relation to the shock, the mechanical advantage over the shock changes too. Sitting directly on top of the shock requires the least amount of air - that's why it's so hard to give a firm answer on how the shock should be pre-set in terms of air.

Essentially, any change that shifts the weight of the rider in relation to the shock will affect the air pressure required to achieve the ride desired.

Ok Jeff where can I see one in person in Calgary?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    It's the same - because the shock always travels in the same direction, it engages in the same way too.

The one thing that changes is how much air you need in the shock, which is affected by all of the reconfigurable elements, but probably the most by the COG - as the COG moves in relation to the shock, the mechanical advantage over the shock changes too. Sitting directly on top of the shock requires the least amount of air - that's why it's so hard to give a firm answer on how the shock should be pre-set in terms of air.

Essentially, any change that shifts the weight of the rider in relation to the shock will affect the air pressure required to achieve the ride desired.
    Jeff what about SCI-OTR's observation that it was very hard to push the castor/footrest in, is the adjustment going to be difficult? I ask because I really liked your idea of shortening the wheelbase for some stair climbing and pulling it back out again at the top. Struggling to make the adjustment wouldn't be so good.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Jeff what about SCI-OTR's observation that it was very hard to push the castor/footrest in, is the adjustment going to be difficult? I ask because I really liked your idea of shortening the wheelbase for some stair climbing and pulling it back out again at the top. Struggling to make the adjustment wouldn't be so good.

SCI-OTR was in the hand-made model, AND NOT FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS! That's officially the last time I leave him alone with anything precious to me.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but the machine made production model actually has better tolerances, and is even smoother and easier to adjust.

Based on you f*#ing maniacs, we're currently scrambling to design in a safety catch to prevent the front wing from being extended too far out while someone is in the chair.

Bunch of jerks - like we didn't have enough to do already.

@swimcrankpush
    - call Bob Farley at Motion Specialties - they're bringing in a demo in October. PM me if you can't find his contact info online.

Jeff, I realize the following might derail your current business model, but given how rapidly and efficiently you and Christian are able to go from paper idea to assembly line production, maybe you two could crank out a cure for spinal cord injuries. At your earliest convenience, of course, but before I'm too old (or too dead) to enjoy it.