Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pregnancy and cp

Smile pregnancy and cp

Ok so I did a pregnancy test and I'm pregnant

So umm yea what effect is this going to have on my cp?

And I no parents who have cp and non cp kids

Cyfskid,

CP is not a hereditary condition. It's true that most risk factors for CP involve things that, when they go wrong, tend to go wrong shortly before, during, or shortly after birth. But that doesn't necessarily mean that your risk of giving birth to a child with CP is significantly elevated if you have CP yourself.

Known risk factors for CP (and many other conditions) include prematurity and low birth weight. Therefore, the standard pregnancy lecture applies here: don't smoke (I've read research that suggests that children of smoking mothers are, on average, smaller at birth than children of none-smoking mothers). Eat well, which means enough, but also healthy and varied. You're literally eating for two. Don't drink alcohol, and avoid medication as much as you can (many drugs are known to increase the risk of various birth defects).

As for the effect on your CP: I have no clue, but I'd imagine it won't be a walk in the park. I would advise an epidural during birth, not because I necessarily believe in avoiding labor pain, but because I think it will make your spasticity worse, which might in turn inhibit a smooth birth (and that, of course, comes with it's own set of issues, including but not limited to -- you guessed it -- an increased risk of CP due to an oxygen shortage).

Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    CP is not a hereditary condition. It's true that most risk factors for CP involve things that, when they go wrong, tend to go wrong shortly before, during, or shortly after birth. But that doesn't necessarily mean that your risk of giving birth to a child with CP is significantly elevated if you have CP yourself.
    yea i no that http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=163077

Known risk factors for CP (and many other conditions) include prematurity and low birth weight. Therefore, the standard pregnancy lecture applies here: don't smoke (I've read research that suggests that children of smoking mothers are, on average, smaller at birth than children of none-smoking mothers). Eat well, which means enough, but also healthy and varied. You're literally eating for two. Don't drink alcohol, and avoid medication as much as you can (many drugs are known to increase the risk of various birth defects).
    Thanks im going to be gettin that alot

As for the effect on your CP: I have no clue, but I'd imagine it won't be a walk in the park. I would advise an epidural during birth, not because I necessarily believe in avoiding labor pain, but because I think it will make your spasticity worse, which might in turn inhibit a smooth birth (and that, of course, comes with it's own set of issues, including but not limited to -- you guessed it -- an increased risk of CP due to an oxygen shortage).
    Your a guy right?

Nope. Not a guy.

And start folic acid to prevent spida bifida.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Get a good OBYN
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Not sure if anyone has said, but Congatulations !! Get the best advice you can, eat right, be positive, have a great pregnancy, and a healthy baby.

Nope. Not a guy.
    sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    And start folic acid to prevent spida bifida.
    Its on the shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    Get a good OBYN
    I plan to
    Quote Originally Posted by rebajane View Post
    Not sure if anyone has said, but Congatulations !! Get the best advice you can, eat right, be positive, have a great pregnancy, and a healthy baby.
    Thanks

You seem to have everything under control Don't gain too much weight either, I did every time and it was a nightmare.

Congratulations with the pregnancy
    TH 12, 43 years post

I posted this thread about 10 mins after seeing the little blue line appear