Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: what kind of cushion are you sitting on?

Originally posted by Paul Nussbaum:

By working with a physical therapist we were able to find the right cushion.
    I guess we play our cards hoping to meet up with a good therapist. The first wedges I had never stayed put and were not large enough. I think those were the ones that normally can be added to the jay through Sunrise medical. These last ones I got I like much better. Live n learn I guess.

TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MY MOJO

Originally posted by Lizbv:

Originally posted by *Andy*:
    Hey Liz, could you describe just what that 'fluid overfill' is like?
    Its extra gel, in addition to the normal amount the Jay cushions come with. It makes you sit higher in the chair a little so you may want to consider that (depending on your level) and your chairs back height, it could affect your balance possibly? I like having it, I feel like it helped a lot over the normal amount of gel Jay's have. I think I'm using my third Jay cushion; the other cushions just had regular fill. Your insurance should cover your cushion, no? Things are so expensive

Maybe I'll try one when it is time to get another one. Right now I see only about 1/2 inch of gel to get to the seat pan after getting off of my cushion, kind of think I would like to see a bit more distance maybe so that I am guaranteed full floatation. I also wonder what is happening to the fluid suspension for those times that I slouch in my chair as well. Yeah, my insurance would cover this, but I hate dealing with the process of letters of necessity, dealing with dumbass S&P 'therapists', etc., so I just spring for this stuff myself. If it is a larger $$ purchase I go through the process otherwise I like to save myself from those hassles. Maybe I'll just try mailing my insurance a reciept, but I kind of have a feeling how that would turn out.

Originally posted by Lizbv:
    Hey Liz, could you describe just what that 'fluid overfill' is like?
    Its extra gel, in addition to the normal amount the Jay cushions come with. It makes you sit higher in the chair a little so you may want to consider that (depending on your level) and your chairs back height, it could affect your balance possibly? I like having it, I feel like it helped a lot over the normal amount of gel Jay's have. I think I'm using my third Jay cushion; the other cushions just had regular fill. Your insurance should cover your cushion, no? Things are so expensive

Maybe I'll try one when it is time to get another one. Right now I see only about 1/2 inch of gel to get to the seat pan after getting off of my cushion, kind of think I would like to see a bit more distance maybe so that I am guaranteed full floatation. I also wonder what is happening to the fluid suspension for those times that I slouch in my chair as well. Yeah, my insurance would cover this, but I hate dealing with the process of letters of necessity, dealing with dumbass S&P 'therapists', etc., so I just spring for this stuff myself. If it is a larger $$ purchase I go through the process otherwise I like to save myself from those hassles. Maybe I'll just try mailing my insurance a reciept, but I kind of have a feeling how that would turn out.
    andy, getting a cushion should be simple. i get a new stimulite every year. just call your dme dealer tell them what u want, they will then get a script and letter from your. doner
    my dme deler just orders it when i call, i have it before they ever get paid. shouldnt be a big ordeal. cushions are easy

Roho,low profile, very good.High maintanance.

I am using the Airpulse PK from Aquila Corp.

I have had Major problems with pressure sores but this cushion has solved these problems very well. I actually had a very bad pressure sore when I got my PK and actually disappeared while sitting on the PK!

The PK is also very stable because the cells inflate and deflate in a pattern that keeps you steady and stable in your chair.

I am a T8 Complete and I feel very solidly seated in my PK.

Its not cheap but it beats the heck out of surgery!

The only thing I don't like about the PK is that the pump could maybe be a bit quieter - It's not really loud but if you are not used to it is bothersome at first.

Winners never quit and quitters never win!

Life's a peach.. so Get One!

Roho Low profile. Very comfortable. Cushion covers wear out quickly when washed often.

j2

Still alive

I use a Stimulite Classic Cushion, the Roho or gel
    cushions don't let your rear end breath and make me sweat, not good ... here is some more info

The Stimulite Classic Wheelchair Cushion is a lightweight, maintenance-free wheelchair cushion that provides excellent pressure relief. It offers the added convenience of machine washability, making it ideal for the incontinent user. The multi-layered honeycomb provides internal contouring for stability and uniform weight distribution.

# Multilayered honeycomb provides internal contouring for uniform load distribution.
    # Side bolsters give added support.
    # Lightweight--less than 3 pounds.
    # Machine washable and dryer safe.
    # Accommodates an optional incontinence pad.
    # Total ventilation through the use of perforated honeycomb that circulates air and evaporates moisture.
    # Breathable cover and side vents for complete ventilation.

ROHO Low real light!