Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: what kind of cushion are you sitting on?

WFE,
    Took this off the Varilite webpage, sounds like you and your therapist are correct. Kind of strange, why would they make you adjust every time you get on it? Oh well, what do I know.

4. Valve for Adjusting Air Volume
    A two-way valve allows air in and out of the cushion, allowing for an individual fit every time. Begin with the cushion fully inflated. This can be done by weight-shifting laterally or unweighting the cushion by transferring off the cushion with the valve open. Next, close the valve. Sit on the cushion and open the valve, allowing air to escape. Close the valve when you are sitting on approximately ½" (13 mm) of air and foam. The more air that is let out, the more stable the cushion becomes. With repetition, this process will become second nature and provide the end-user with a perfect fit every time!

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

Amanda, Jim also uses a Jay2 deep contour and when pressure mapping was done, it was perfect, absolutely all blue on the screen. and it keeps his legs in alignment, which helps with hip issues, I think. But he is C5, doesn't transfer independently. he has never had even a red spot on butt, even though he had a bedsore from hospitaliztion at time of accident and stays up for 12 hours/day. And we have peace of mind knowing that he won't bottom out from air leaking or readjusting air pressure. Seems every thing is a trade-off, but you can't be too careful with your butt.

The Gel-Tech looks a little thin to me-only 1.5 in depth, no contouring. May be good for someone with sensation.

The Gel-Tech looks a little thin to me-only 1.5 in depth, no contouring. May be good for someone with sensation.

I have had a Jay for 21+years and have yet to have a preasure sore. Yes they are heavy, Yes they are old tech, but they WORK!! But as far as cussions goes it is usually what works for you.

I have two Jay cushions, a Comfort Mate cushion that is foam, and the cushion I like the most is from the Comfort Company. It has gel in it and it is about 3 inches high in the front and it drops to about an inch in the back. I feel more comfortable in my chair with the added tilt, but it does not distort the way I am sitting and to the onlooker, they probably could not see any difference.

http://www.comfortcompany.com/

PN

I have to use a coxynx cushion. It's got a V cutout for the tailbone area. If I don't use it I have pain for Hour's! still have to lean forward to keep all my weight off my tailbone.

Doug

Paul, those cushions from Comfort co. look interesting. Couple of questions please:L
    1. which one do you use
    2. how thick is it
    3. is it good for a 12 hour day with just tilt for repositioning

Thanks, I had never seen anything about this company. My brother is C5 and has balance issue, looks like these would help with that and keep legs in alignment. Debra

My ass is parked on a Jay 2 gel cushion. I figure if it is for someone with "a high risk of pressure issues", it should be good enough for my squirmy paranoid of sores self. I mapped one out once and the computer said it was ok apparently. Now what would be cool is some sort of portable mapping device or blood flow meter that you could put under your butt and leave it there to see when and if you need a pressure release or not.

I have always used a low profile Roho cushion. Don't know what it would be like to sit on anything else. I move around alot but I don't do all that pressure relief.I get that from the roho and movement. I'm a complete para.
    I am waiting for my Varilite back. You told me about it. I hope I get use to it. I have always had just a cloth back.

And hey, I got my TiLite WC with spinergy wheels. But I'm not sure about these solid tires, therefore I might have to change them.But, I soooooo happy.