Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: what kind of cushion are you sitting on?

what kind of cushion are you sitting on?

I am just curious as to what people are sitting on and what the options are. what are the pros and cons of your cushion? I currently have two different cushions. I have a deep contour gel seat by Jay. It weighs a bazillions lbs compared to my varilite evolution.. but, my I seem to have better balance in the deep contour. does anybody know of maybe a blend of the two benefits from each of these? light weight and good positioning? does anybody have any experience with these ?

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

I'd like to know as well.

I have a deep J2, which I use most of the time. Additionally I have 2 Rohos, which are great for pressure relief, but suck for positioning & transfers. The J2 is more comfortable, and I use it so I hang off the rear of it an inch or two, thus providing a little more dump. I'm pretty close to bottoming out b/c this inherently pushes the gel forward, but I watch it, and haven't had any skin problems. A lighter solution would be welcomed though.

p.s. what do you use when driving, if you transfer, especially for trips 2hrs or more?

Maybe the Varilite evolution works better if you take out more air? And take away that hard thing in front of it. I don't know how much sensation you have, but that hard thing in front is painful.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.

I use a MaxPro from Independence Technologies:
    link
    It is a modified air cushion. Has little air bags. The deep cushion has 7 chambers that you can add/remove bags from to adjust positioning. It only weighs about 3 lbs.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

i have been using supracor stimulite classics for about 8 years now, only ways 2pds or less. its honeycomb, so any moister goes through. best part just throw it in washer and dryer. i have near normal feeling in my butt area, and i can say its actually comfortable.
    www.supracor.com
    jay gel cushions are imo old technology thats dated. makes little sense to run a 18 pd ultralight with a 10pd cushion

scott- when driving I just sit on my regular car seat. every so often I'll push up on the door and console for a pressure relief. (obviously when I'm not in motion )
    I don't have normal sensation in my butt. It does start to "hurt" when I've been sitting to long though. when I sit for an extended period of time on the varilite it most def starts to hurt sooner than when on the deep contour.(jay2 same thing) it may be "outdated", but other than the weight I pick the good ole gel cushion over my varilite most days. matter of fact, the only time I sit on the varilite is when somebody else, other than myself, is going to be loading my chair (i.e. my dad or bf throwing it in the back of their trucks) I just feel more stable in the jay2.

Woman from Europe- are you talking about the valve on the varilte? if so, I hate that thing too. it doesn't get in the way of my comfort. but, I hate the thing sticking out the side of my cushion. I have a varilite back as well. but, on it I tucked the valve in. I never adjust the amount of air in it, so no need to bother with it.

mcduff- thanks for the link. I've never heard of those. but, they spike my attention for sure. which one do you have?

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

Amanda

The Varilite Evolution is filling itself up with air every time you don't sit on it. You should take out the extra air every time you use it. I use to take out a lot or else I feel like I sit on a baloon. I hate that thing sticking out too but I like the cushion. I have a Jay Extreme and it is painful after a while And I have tried a Vicair and it was so painful, like needles in my a.. But I am difficult because my sensation is strange.

Amanda, I have the 4" version. I started out on the 3" which felt good, but I didn't get enough leg support. Couldn't fix it due to my footrests alreadhy too close to floor, didn't feel like going to bigger casters to get more clearance.

Worked out for the best anyway. I got a baclofen pump and now my legs want to flop out on me. With 3 front sections to the cushion, I can keep more "outside" pressure to keep my legs off the legrest downtubes.

Anyway after my rambling, the 4" causes a little more grief in transfers for me but I'm getting used to it. I can always remove some more bags to lower I guess. I also lean left a little so I have more in the left rear compartment.

One thing, these people only sell to endusers. No DME middleman which caused me some problems since I was replacing a cushion that was included in my chair purchase. Money shuffling kinda stuff. This could make it kind of tough to get demos. I got demo'ed at my outpatient rehab.

They are proud of these things $$$ so make sure you like it first.

McD

Originally posted by woman from Europe:

The Varilite Evolution is filling itself up with air every time you don't sit on it.
    WFE, unless I am mistaken, if you have the valve closed it should not refill when you get off it. Maybe you are not getting the valve all the way closed after adjusting it?

McD

WFE, unless I am mistaken, if you have the valve closed it should not refill when you get off it. Maybe you are not getting the valve all the way closed after adjusting it?

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"[/QUOTE]

I close the valve after I have taken the air out and it feels ok. But still it is full again in the morning. My ergoterapist told me it should be that way. I don't know. I have tried so many and I don't like any of them because they are all painful after som hours.