Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can you swim?

I'm a T4 and can swim fairly well. I stick to the breaststroke and elementary backstroke as I get too much water up my nose doing the back crawl and I struggle with breathing with the front crawl.

I didn't think I could swim until I said 'fuck it' and signed up for a lesson at my rehab's pool and fitness center. Things went swimmingly my very first day. I was able to tread water and do the breast stroke right away. For the next 5 sessions we tinkered with using floaties and foam pads on my torso and feet trying to help me do the front and back crawl, but eventually gave up.

I can't tell you how good it feels to be able to not only swim with friends, but to be able to go out on the water on a boat, canoe, kayak - whatever - and not have to be afraid of falling in. Even if you can't swim-swim, knowing you can tread water or float on your back for just a few minutes can give you a lot of confidence.

I haven't gone swimming in a lake without a vest yet - I'm a little nervous about not having anything to grab on to if I get in trouble. But I do waterski now, so that's a start. And I used to do laps in by building's pool for about one hour every week, so I'm somewhat confident I could make it to shore if someone dropped me in the middle of a lake and ran away.
    Last edited by brian; 09-12-2011 at 05:00 PM.

I'm not your mother Brian, but you should never waterski or go out on a boat without a vest. That includes able-bodied persons too. You never know if you could be injured or otherwise incapacitated if there is a mishap on a lake or river while boating. A vest may be un-cool for some people (not saying it about you), but it makes the difference between life and death all to often.

We have had fourteen people drown in the lakes and rivers around here in just two months. They were all able-bodied and good swimmers as was reported in the news. None of them were wearing life vests and got caught on snags under the water line.

You just never know.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

You must be a hit at parties.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    So sorry, my bad. I promise to no longer give a flying fuck about you or your safety since it offends you so much.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Foul. Unnecessary roughness! (I knew watching all that football would pay off one day.)

Dude, when you're right, you're right. She's right. I can't claim to always wear a life vest, but I do at least sit on the cumbersome POS. (In the Caribbean...I should practice what I preach.) At least those ppl should wear a knife to cut themselves free. Won't help if they are knocked unconscious or caught in a riptide tho.

...and have little sense of humor or sarcasm.

Kisses!
    Last edited by brian; 09-13-2011 at 01:04 PM.

I did exactly what you did, Brian. I said screw it, scooted to the end of the board and threw myself in. I sank fast and hard. What I did I wouldn't call swimming, it was more like survival. Had my upper body not been as strong I would still be at the bottom.

Believe me, I don't mind throwing caution to the wind at times, but I think others should know that "we" aren't necessarily buoyant.

Dave

Yup. If someone threw me in a pool, I could swim to survive. After my injury, I just started to swim by only using my upper body. My legs just dangle in the water as I swim with just my arms. I found that it was actually faster to swim with only my upper body when I was in rehab for my SCI back in 2006.
    I love swimming, because it helps with pain and spasticity a lot. Its also soothing on joints. I go swimming at the local health club 5 times a week (including joining in an aqua aerobics class that is for disabled adults). There are 3 of us at aqua aerobics who use manual wheelchairs, due to SCI's, the rest have problems like MS, arthritis, fibromyalgia, and stroke recovery.