Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any accountants/cpas here?

One of my best friends works as a higher up in HR and loves her career and is paid handsomely. She works in a team-like environment, mixed with men and women, still in an office like situation but interacts with new people/hires etc as her commodity instead of the numbers you'd be dealing with in accounting. Also, there are usually tons of levels in corporations or companies for advancement, and although some of the work is computer based, alot is still interpersonal social-work 'esque'...

I don't know if that's any help to you, but I know the reasons you are falling out of love with sw is the exact reason I know I couldn't do it as a career. The reason she likes her job is that 90% of the time she's dealing with people trying to advance or get ahead just like she is.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

You'd make most going the BIS route, if money is the trump. I was in your position, and that's what I chose. Designing and coding software, etc., can be fun as projects come and go, and you're not always working on the same thing. Most places would probably let you telecommute a couple days a week from home. Good luck November, I know it's hard to pin it down, what we want in our life regarding a career. But I was recruited, that's what made up my mind. I guess I took the path of least resistance. Or something.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Hey, Keep in mind that your major doesn't make or break your career. Also, these majors are not an "either-or", they aren't (or don't have to be) choices at the exclusion of the other.

Given that you are not exactly clear or confident about what you want, I'd say do whatever requires the least additional course requirements, cuz the more you keep changing, the more you're unnecessarily adding courses and delaying graduation.

I would also strongly encourage you to do internships as an elective, with whatever direction you go, be it business or socalwork or psych.

I was thinking that you might be limiting your idea of 'social work' with more clinical or direct service stuff. Unlike a psychology degree, I think a SW degree is more applicable to many different areas of work, from public to private sectors, though both don't give you much but minimal background/training with an undergrad degree.

With SW, you don't have to do just counseling or anything related to benefits etc. Many can be business related, from management, organization, policy to financial, or work doing fundraising, lobbying, philanthropy. People with business degrees can work in non-profits and other social service related organizations too, even accountants. So whatever you decide, just remember that you won't be 'locked' into some path you might not be happy with in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I would also strongly encourage you to do internships as an elective ...
    I consider this the single best piece of advice that can be given to anyone considering a career targeted course of study.

Novi, don't sweat making a wrong decision. As long as you give it a little thought, you won't regret any degree. If you resist the pressure to get any prominent accounting gang tattoos, you can always switch fields rather easily.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 09-09-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Novi, don't sweat making a wrong decision. As long as you give it a little thought, you won't regret any degree. If you resist the pressure to get any prominent accounting gang tattoos, you can always switch fields rather easily.
    Foolish is right, however there is a tried and trusted test for assessing your aptitude for accountancy.

When talking to people do they have a tendency to drop off?

Do accounting gangs have tattoos like $$

Or do they say "Mo money Mo trouble"?

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    Hi November
    Your indecision sounds similar to mine when I was your age (though I went to school and had a career before my SCI).

I was a Sociology major and, as I approached graduation with a BA, I started realizing you don't get a job as a sociologist with just a BA. I decided to go ahead and get my degree in Sociology since I was so close but then to switch to a degree in Public Administration for my Masters (I got the GI Bill to help me pay for school).

Under the Master of Public Administration program, I focused on "Budgeting and Policy Analysis" [another focus would have been Accounting which is what I should have pursued]. After graduation (which included an internship which was very valuable), I got a job in local county government and worked my way up to Budget Officer and ultimately the Chief Financial Officer for the department. However, not having a degree in Accounting always made my job much more difficult than it otherwise would have been. Accounting is really valuable if you can do it. After I got a job as Budget Officer, I did take a couple of Accounting classes. I got good grades, but they were much more difficult and time consuming than other courses I had taken.

Your number 2 option sounds quite good (Bus maj/accounting, psyc minor). With that you could get a job in the private or public sector.

In the public sector, the job would be a desk job with lots of sitting (don't know if you can sit for long hours). You could also focus on learning tax preparation and work from home and any hours you want.

Re your observation about Social Work (I worked for a Health and Social Services Department), I had a friend who had been a Social Worker and had the same frustration. She would provide people with a plan to get their life together and go back two weeks later to see how it was going and, it was going nowhere. [Your profile doesn't indicate if you are in a wheelchair or not - if so, that would make client home visits very difficult since most clients will not have "accessible" homes].

You are going the right direction. Good luck with school.

As you begin taking classes, you may find something that really interests you that you never thought of before. Be flexible.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Do accounting gangs have tattoos like $$

Or do they say "Mo money Mo trouble"?
    More like $? and "Yo money No trouble"
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    More like $? and "Yo money No trouble"
    Ours has "Accountants do it with double entry" tattooed across her chest

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Ours has "Accountants do it with double entry" tattooed across her chest
    "Cash Basis Baby"
    Foolish