Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any accountants/cpas here?

Any accountants/cpas here?

Are there any members that went to school to become accountants/cpas?
    I used the search function which produced minimal results.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

What would you like to know?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Career related questions. What the job is like for someone with a sci especially?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Career related questions. What the job is like for someone with a sci especially?
    Depends on what job you do. The traditional path with a large firm is going out on audits as a young grunt, then working your way up into supervision and then a partnership. That last part is mostly a sales job. You might run into problems with field work. Clients want auditors to be invisible and not get in the way. They sure as hell aren't interested in providing any accommodations.

Government hires a lot of desk accountants. Every agency has a bunch.

I studied accounting to support my own business interests. But I did work as a state accountant for a year to see what it was like to have a paycheck job. I liked the work, but hated the office environment. I quit when I found myself thinking one day that if I stepped in front of a bus, I wouldn't have to go to work anymore. Never regretted the decision to move on.

There are lots of uses for the degree and even more uses for the knowledge. But think about what you want to do before committing to the study. It's a lot of work.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

November, here's an article you might find interesting.
    Foolish

Nov, are you planing on grad school with this or as a (new) major now?

nov, I lasted in an accounting firm for 6 weeks. boring as fuck. if you're good with serious repetion, then you can be successful, but if not............
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

I'm an accountant, although not a traditional one working at a firm. I work for a large furniture manufacturer, so I guess I'm more of a Controller. I work directly for the CFO of the company.

I whole heartedly agree with fiesty, I spend most days going from spreadsheet to spreadsheet, with my eyes crossed by the end of the day.

I also can almost NEVER take off at the beginning of a month, because I am responsible for closing out the monthly cycle in our system.

The degree was a LOT of work, but I wouldn't trade it for anything, most days anyways, I'm an introverted person, so me and my spreadsheets get along just fine so I don't necessarily have to deal with people LOL

I'm very torn regarding my degree and career.

Let me start out by saying that I've been studying social work. Because of availability of classes and schools I transferred and switched to psychology with a minor in business. The plan was to be a social worker which would most likely require graduate school. Voc Rehab will only pay for a portion of graduate school and pell grants only cover undergraduate. Also, where I'm living, everyone in your household (me) can't be a full-time student. This is drawing my degree out a great deal as it is. I want to just be done with school and start my life.

I have always secretly known you can't do much with just a BA in psychology. People warn me. When I started this whole process I also didn't have pain issues and the fatigue that comes with everything was suppose to go away... so I was willing and able to go through with my school plans.

The psych and sw courses are becoming repetitive and boring to me. I'm not sure I even want to "help" people anymore for a living. It really is physically and mentally draining. I already help people in my life with all the ins and outs and agencies...except I don't get paid to do it. It's frustrating also to see people that won't help themselves or use knowledge I give them. It feels like a waste of my time and energy. At times I just feel I have nothing more to give. It's hard though because I'm a social person and people tell me I have a good personality and attitude and am perfect for the helping professions. Another worry is that I'll get burnt out before I've even started. I use to think helping people in the same situation as I'm in would be great. An example would be working at Craig Hospital. The problem with this and other careers helping people like me is that I feel then that I never get away from it all. I've dealt with Voc Rehab, Social Security, etc for years and though this means I have a wealth of info to give to others, it also means I'm tired of it all. I don't want to spend 8 hrs working and dealing with problems and agencies and then come home to my own; my world revolving around these things.

Maybe I just have dollar signs in my eyes. Although sw pays not so great, the benefits especially if I worked for the state would be decent. Problem is that a lot of those jobs locally are being transferred or going automated. Regarding a business degree, we have corporations I could do various things for. Or even possibly work in human resources so I'm still working with people.

So I've been looking at possibly 1. switching my major and minor around so business is my major and I could then have a minor in organizational psychology. Another option I'm looking at is 2. getting a comprehensive degree in business administration with options being: accounting, accounting cpa path, finance, managenment, business information system, marketing/entrepreneurship.

I know having this injury, people need to either make really good money and benefits, work only part time and still draw SS and keep health insurance (can't rely on that to be there forever), or do nothing at all and struggle (don't want to struggle at all). I have this one chance to have my education paid for. I'm not sure I can find employment in sw and psych after it's all said and done. I also worry about being able to do a 9-5. Pain and fatigue are something that are not going away (I truly admire those that can just go, go, go). Ideally working from home when necessarily would be best.

If I need/want to change my path...now is the time to do it as I can use many of my credits for various degrees.

Any suggestions/thoughts? I normally loathe sharing personal information, but really need help from those that have been there/done that.
    Last edited by november; 09-08-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Have not been there/done that. I do think you'd be great in HR. Your sweet lil voice could support ppl and fire them in the same day.

Agree w/ the risk of burnout in s.w. when you live the life already. Better relegated to volunteerism, so you're not drained beyond all usefulness.