Thread: Pradaxa

Pradaxa

Our dr. Mentioned that this drug might be a good idea at some point since bob will have to be on coumadin for the rest of his life. Is this drug really a good alternative. No testing required sounds I ticking.

Hi,
    There was much excitement when this medication first came out, especially related to the "no monitoring required."
    I would speak with your clinician, as this med is used only in certain medical diagnoses and not for all disease states requiring anticoagulation. It is also significantly more expensive than coumadin, though some argue that money saved by no bloodtests, etc outweighs the additional costs.

This drug is relatively new and the fuull side effects and information is not necessarily out yet. I recommend you speak with your clinician and pharmacist, who can guide you in the right direction for your individual case.

You can get much information if you search this medication. Also, lets see if others have direct experience.

AAD

During my last physical my primary care physician and I discussed using Pradaxa instead of warfarin/coumadin to reduce the risk of stroke associated with atrial fibrillation. I am 66 years old and on medicare with a good supplement and part D (drug) coverage.

My Part D Plan covers Pradaxa as a branded medication, which shifts more of the total cost to me than a generic. My cost would be $250 for 90 day supply of 75 mg pills or $1,000 annually. The total cost charged to Medicare, which determines when I hit the doughnut hole, is $600 for 90 days supply or $2,400 annually. The doughnut hole starts at $2,840. My other medications already put me at the edge of the doughnut hole.

Medicare Part B covers the protime blood tests at no copay, so I have no dollar savings from not having the blood tests to offset the substantial drug copay. Currently warfarin costs me $3 for 90 day supply of 3-2mg tabs a day or $12 annually and the total cost to Medicare (and the doughnut hole) is $50 for 90 days supply or $200 annually.

A big problem for both patients and Medicare from advances in oral medications is the cost savings from Part B can not be used to help cover the drug costs in Part D.

All the best,
    GJ