Thread: thinking about switching from 24" to 22" tires

thinking about switching from 24" to 22" tires

i am about to order my third chair. i have been looking over the options and just wondered if 22" wheels would make it easier to get around in tight spots and be a little more out of the way for transfers.
    I am a T-12 and have good hand/arm strength and i spend 90% of my time in my house taking care of 3 1/2 year old twins. I need all the maneuvering advantages I can get.
    I already did the search and saw the old posts, but just wondered if anyone had anything to add? 3/4 of what i have learned here has been from reading new posts and say "hey!, me too!"
    Last edited by smirking1; 09-06-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling nazi's will come get me

I had 20" on my chair and it messed up my shoulder. tore legaments in my shoulder. Now the 20's just sit around. my OT moved me to 24's. less strain my my shoulders. what type of chair do you have and whats the camber? dementions?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    shorter wheels will make it harder to get around, you'll get little range in the push. if you want a more maueuverable chair, shorter narrower frame with smaller casters will help if you can work with that.

Quote Originally Posted by smirking1 View Post
    i am about to order my third chair. i have been looking over the options and just wondered if 22" wheels would make it easier to get around in tight spots and be a little more out of the way for transfers.
    I am a T-12 and have good hand/arm strength and i spend 90% of my time in my house taking care of 3 1/2 year old twins. I need all the maneuvering advantages I can get.
    I already did the search and saw the old posts, but just wondered if anyone had anything to add? 3/4 of what i have learned here has been from reading new posts and say "hey!, me too!"
    22" wheels is not the solution, they are to little,if you need is a maneuvering inside house chair look for 3-4" casters, rigid and light frame, thin tyres, and probably the most important, as more camber more agile the chair will be turning.

22's arent good unless you are 5 feet (or less) tall.