Thread: University of Louisville success shows embryos unneeded

University of Louisville success shows embryos unneeded

It is interesting how success in adult stem cell research is being used as a club against embryonic stem cell research.

http://www.kypost.com/2002/aug/15/guest081502.html

U of L success shows embryos unneeded
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guest column by Michael Janocik

The Right to Life Educational Foundation of Kentucky enthusiastically congratulates the University of Louisville on its recent success in the field of adult stem cell research. We are hopeful about its potential to cure Parkinson's and spinal-cord injuries. U of L scientists will now add their achievement to the long and growing list of discoveries attesting to the possibilities of adult stem cell research.

We are elated by this progress, but not surprised. For years we have championed the potential therapeutic benefits of adult stem cell research as a morally acceptable alternative to embryonic stem cell research, which destroys the lives of tiny human beings.

It is noteworthy that U of L's achievement is reported in the wake of the human cloning battle in Frankfort, in which the university played a prominent role in defeating anti-cloning legislation. The pro-cloner's argued that banning human cloning would force Kentucky universities into the last century and hinder them from attracting top-drawer scientists and limited research money.

Yet apparently, without human cloning technology, U of L has stepped into the future with some of the finest scientists in the country. This is the first of many ironies.

While the pro-cloning lobby was deceiving Kentucky legislators that it is necessary to allow human cloning, some of its own scientists, just 50 miles away, were pursuing successful alternatives which demonstrate that it is not.

While the Courier-Journal of Louisville was reporting that the universities would lose research money if Kentucky banned human cloning, research on adult stem cells at U of L was advancing and has now garnered considerable public and private funding.

While the an editorial in the Louisville newspaper was rebuking "anti-abortion extremists" for destroying hope, the hope of adult stem cell research was flourishing, and now there is hope to cure Parkinson's and spinal cord injuries without destroying human life.

While pro-cloners were searching for results to buoy their "therapeutic cloning" speculations, real advances in stem cell research occurred within the walls of their own institution.

While cloning sympathizers were mocking pro-lifers as uncompassionate zealots for trumpeting the morally acceptable alternative of adult stem cell research, scientists at U of L were investing their compassion and resources into that which those "zealots" proposed.

As remarkable as it is, U of L's success is only one of hundreds of promising adult stem cell discoveries all around the world.

Nevertheless, its triumph is still muted with the caveat, "but scientists believe the embryonic stem cells hold more promise." Never mind the fact that embryonic stem cells have never developed, let alone been extracted, from cloned human embryos.

The bioethical debate surrounding human cloning and embryonic stem cell research compels us to consider at least two important things:

•Â* First, that adult stem cell research provides a feasible, even superior, morally acceptable alternative to human cloning research.

•Â* Second, the debate has nothing to do with abortion.

Pro-cloners persist in characterizing the debate as the compassionate scientific community against the "anti-abortion zealots." The strategy is as hackneyed as it is cowardly - turn your opponents into monsters so you can ignore their arguments. Admittedly, they have employed it with some success, but in the end the strategy must crumble: As U of L's success shows, the truth does prevail.

Pro-lifers recognize, respect and defend every human being's inalienable right to life.

It should come as no surprise that those who respect human life in the womb do so also in the laboratory. We know that an assault on any innocent human life is an assault on every human life.

Our human dignity requires that we strive for solutions that respect the inestimable value of every human being. If we fail in that endeavor by employing a utilitarian philosophy in the service of killing some to help others, we will have revoked our claim to freedom and equality.

As the front of human cloning is opened in the war on human dignity, it is tempting to despair that we have forfeited those claims. But U of L's success gives us hope that we can achieve great things while respecting the right to life of each human being.

We urge U of L to relentlessly pursue the morally superior avenue of adult stem cell research and we want nothing less than a complete restoration of the health of those who live with unspeakable suffering. By rejecting the utilitarian seductions of human cloning research we will go a long way toward the restoration of our dignity.

Michael Janocik is the assistant director of the Right to Life Educational Foundation of Kentucky.

pro-cloner

I my self totally disagree with this guy. I think that by not allowing us the option to at least explore the benifits of cloning in sci repair, that, that is revoking our claim to freedome.
    I watched that show on TLC last week called "Creating a Human" or something, and that among other things makes me believe that we not only should, but have to learn and master the art of therapudic cloning. It seems to me this is the next step for our society to become more advanced in our abbilities to repair the damage being done to us on a daily basis. For the past one hundred years we have been devloping new ways of causing various dieases and injuries. Now lets find the BEST way to fix them.
    I don't see whay he says that abortion doesn't enter into the debate.
    To me if abortion is legal then embryonic steem cell research and application should also be legal.
    If you think about abortion is far more discusting. My girlfriends best friend had an abortion simply because it is cheaper then birth control and she cant stand condoms.
    That is f-ing sick! And you know she is not the only one.
    Another guy I know was telling me about how he kows that he has gotten at least five girls preganant and all have had abortions.
    I think that PRo-Lifers have realized they can not win the anti-abortion debate and have moved on to an easier target then young healty teens and and pre-thirty year olds.
    All those who aren't as able to stand up for what they feel is their right.
    No pun intended.
    Am I totally off base here or what?

University of Louisville inked a deal with a company to develop stem cells and other cell transplant technology that are obtained from the nasal mucosa of adults (it is part of this whole thing about transplanting nasal muscosa) but unfortunately there were very few details in the published reports. I have talked to some of the people at University of Louisville (we work with them on their spinal cord injury model) but don't really know the latest. I do know that they are planning a clinical trial. So, this is good news even though it is being used to bash cloning and embryonic stem cell research. I think very highly of the group at the University of Louisville. Wise.

"Another guy I know was telling me about how he kows that he has gotten at least five girls preganant and all have had abortions."

Before he gets snipped to prevent anymore mayhem maybe your friend could donate a few of his squiggleys to the cause?

"Our human dignity requires that we strive for solutions that respect the inestimable value of every human being. If we fail in that endeavor by employing a utilitarian philosophy in the service of killing some to help others, we will have revoked our claim to freedom and equality."

So why do we have wars?

"If the wind could blow my troubles away. I'd stand in front of a hurricane."