Thread: Vessel unblocking ...

Vessel unblocking ...

"Dr. Young, is spinal cord blood supply at and near the lesion an issue in chronic SCI that could affect the effectiveness of therapies designed to stimulate axons to cross the lesion, or the integration of tissue grafts, or the ability of otherwise viable axons to transmit signals?"

Arturo,

To my knowledge, the injured spinal cord actually has more blood vessels and presumably flow than normal cords, unless the cord is compressed, tethered, or in a narrow spinal canal. The answer to the latter is of course decompression and untethering of the cord. If one looks at the injured spinal cord of both animal and human spinal cords, one often sees many more blood vessels than normal cords.

Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on Aug 18, 2002 at 08:41 PM.]

I forget - is tethering visible on MRI, or mylogram CT?

Alan,

Most MRI and CT scans are static images whereas tethering is a dynamic phenomenon. Some neurosurgeons can tell from MRI or CT scans whether a patient has tethering (I am not one of them). To really see tethering, you have to see the spinal cord in movement. This is actually possible with today's technology because they can get images of your spinal cord in different positions. What you need to to find is a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon who believes that tethering is important. When they believe, they will go that extra step to see.

In earlier postings, you said that you had a small syrinx and was consulting with neurosurgeons concerning your condition. I was sitting in the Ronald Reagan Airport (in Washington DC) airport a day ago and saw Dr. Ed Benzel whom I respect. Why don't you give him a call and see what he thinks. Send him an email:

Edward C. Benzel, M.D.
    Director of Spinal Disorders
    Department of Neurosurgery
    9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44195
    Patient Office: 216-445-5514, Appt. 216-444-5670
    Admin. Office: 216-445-6797, Fax: 216-445-6878
    http://www.clevelandclinic.org/neurosurgery
    email: benzele@ccf.org

Wise.

You're close, Dr. Young. I said that the most recent doctor thinks it might be a syrinx. Previous doctors (including Hendler of Mensana Clinic, if you've heard of him, though he's not a neurosurgeon), and the radiologist at the MRI place have said the open space is where the damaged cord was, and hasn't changed size over the years. But I appreciate you remembering at all, considering how busy you are and how many people you interact with on this site.

I did have his colleague (pain doc) ask that doctor how's he'd treat it, if it was a syrinx. His answer matched the treatment you recommended in another thread (shunting only if the syrinx can't be collapsed by freeing the cord.) I was glad to hear that - I don't like shunts (a former neighbor had hydrocephalus. All his shunts did was clog.)

I'll e-mail Dr. Benzel. Thank you.