Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost a month from my sister's injury

It may be that nothing more can be done from the acute care standpoint, but she still needs a good rehabilitation program that will prepare her to live life out of an institution and get on with living while maintaining her health.

The Shepherd Center is in Atlanta, not Miami. In Miami there is a SCI rehabilitation program associated with the University of Miami at Jackson Memorial, but I would recommend the Shepherd Center over that one. Other possible centers in the USA that you may want to explore include the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC), Craig Hospital (Englewood, Colorado), and the Kessler Institute in New Jersey.

(KLD)

Hi Cielo,

I'm a C1-2 and just want to offer encouragement and prayers, and potentially useful information. SCI Nurse KLD is of course correct that your sister needs specialized SCI rehab (preferably at a center KLD mentioned). But I also want you to know that life as a C1-2, even with a vent and no function return, CAN still be good.

I was injured in 1997 and my family (and later me) couldn't find much info on life as a C1-2, or with high-level paralysis and a ventilator. So when I learned about my condition and we learned good ways to do things, I started my website to share such info. Our ways aren't the only good ways, but perhaps you'll find the info useful.

Here's my website:

http://www.lookmomnohands.net/

This page has topics regarding life with an SCI (especially high-level quadriplegia):

http://www.lookmomnohands.net/Life_with_an_SCI.htm

And I wrote this for SCI support groups:

http://www.lookmomnohands.net/My_Ful...ort_Groups.htm

God bless!

Bill Miller
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

P.S. you mentioned hoping your sister could eventually breathe on her own.

That could depend on whether she gets a little back (I'm told C3 is the level at which breathing can come back). But she could also be a good candidate for a Diaphragm Pacing System (DPS). We discuss the DPS and related issues in detail here:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=134394

God bless!

Bill Miller
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Hi guys,

Sorry for not keep you up to date lately but I don't have to much to say : she still in rehab, but not for too long. She had one issues with her left lung and because of this she was almost 2 weeks back in hospital but now things are looking much better.
    Unfortunate, her friend didn't managed yet to find a place where she may stay after rehab, mostly because of her dependency of the vent...
    Bill, before the lung problems, doctors discussed about that pacemaker but I don't have any news about how things are in this moment.

Thank you very, very much for your support and prayers.

I hope that you will be able to find a good place for your sister to stay after rehab, Cielo, that her lungs will continue to improve and that she will have ongoing progress in her rehabilitation.

Hi guys, I just want to send you our appreciation for your prayers and support.
    Unfortunately, my sister left this unfair world for a better place.
    Because of her lungs problems she lost her consciousness on Sunday and never recoved. Her brain suffered permanent damage and the doctors declared her as "brain death". They followed her wish yesterday and removed life support machines.
    Rest in peace our super girl.
    Please, say a pray for her soul.

So sorry to hear that
    may she rest in peace

I am so sorry, Cielo. Thank you for letting us know.

Cielo, so sorry for the loss of your sister . I had been reading the posts and was hoping for better news. We never know when our time is and having SCI gives me a better understanding how precious every day is not to mention the challenges every day has.

I know your sister must have known how much you were trying to help her and it was obvious how much you loved her. Much peace to all.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

So sorry Cielo. What a cruel fate.