Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Next Generation

The Next Generation

I am living in an empty nest. I cannot say its great yet. In fact I cannot say anything is great so in reality anyone who has anything great to contribute needs to step right up. It seems like lately all I do is clean up the remnants of growing up for my two. Today I paid a lady a bunch of money to teach my daughter to drive and get her drivers license. The teacher asked her what she was studying at college, as she is one week into her freshman year.

Keep in mind this is a kid who I have dragged to events all over the place to raise money and awareness of the need for research and a cure for paralysis. Keep in mind that I was paying little attention to how much attention she was paying....

The instructor asked her what she was studying at her school. She was filling out a form but said "Neuroscience". The teacher's eyes got big and and asked Jax what she was going to do with it. Jax looked up and said calmly with intention:" I am going to cure paralysis."

I got chills. Children listen.

Mary
    1FineSpineRN

Hi "1 Fine Spine RN,"
    One of the many "I must have done something right," moments you will have to enjoy and savor now that your kid(s) has/have taken another step toward becoming (an) independent, responsible adult(s).

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Fine Spine RN View Post
    The instructor asked her what she was studying at her school. She was filling out a form but said "Neuroscience". The teacher's eyes got big and and asked Jax what she was going to do with it. Jax looked up and said calmly with intention:" I am going to cure paralysis."

Mary
    WOW..That moved me to tears....I bet she will too ..congratulations for raising such a fine young person.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Wow. Mary! I hope Jake grows up someday.

Your daughter needs to watch the Mama video by Tupac Shakur. You will both love it. I'm not a Tupac junkie but this song is -whoa-.

The kid who is crashing on my couch thanked me yesterday; I figured it didn't get any better than that. Man, he worked his tail off this a.m. to repay a $50 debt.

Blog Entries
    Mary,

Is this the same remarkable daughter I met at Jim's fundraiser? I'm tearing up too. Please give her a hug and a high five from me.

I still really would love to see you.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Mary,

Is this the same remarkable daughter I met at Jim's fundraiser? I'm tearing up too. Please give her a hug and a high five from me.

I still really would love to see you.
    Randy

Yes my only daughter..you did have dinner with her that night!! I want to see you too!
    1FineSpineRN

I am living in an empty nest. I cannot say its great yet. In fact I cannot say anything is great so in reality anyone who has anything great to contribute needs to step right up. It seems like lately all I do is clean up the remnants of growing up for my two. Today I paid a lady a bunch of money to teach my daughter to drive and get her drivers license. The teacher asked her what she was studying at college, as she is one week into her freshman year.

Keep in mind this is a kid who I have dragged to events all over the place to raise money and awareness of the need for research and a cure for paralysis. Keep in mind that I was paying little attention to how much attention she was paying....

Mary
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Mazel tov !! Or as jody would say "cool beans" ! I'm really glad you got to enjoy a proud kid moment Mar - you done good !!

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Empty nest is hard until you work through the feelings of aloneness. Now you need to find something for yourself that is yours alone. Hobbies, or volunteering to get you out into the community more. Maybe date a little, nothing serious.

It is hard to adapt to the empty nest. I know. I'm still doing it with a boomerang child. I use the empty space to do my quilting and art projects.

It is good to see your child doing so well, but heartbreaking to have the empty nest.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Mary
    Mary, she will cure spinal cord injury. Wise.