Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do these types of income effect SSDI?

Dumb and easily answered question I never can keep straight, but is SSDI considered earned income? or affect the sga?

Quote Originally Posted by warchi81 View Post
    Dumb and easily answered question I never can keep straight, but is SSDI considered earned income? or affect the sga?

Warchi81, I do not know what your situation is, so cannot answer your question. Try poking around in:
    http://www.workworld.org/wwwebhelp/sga.htm

to see it that answers your question. I think alot depends on if you are on SSI or SSDI.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

SSDI is SSDI It is not income so I am not sure I understand your question.
    SGA is the amount of money you earn from working a job.

SSI on the other hand is very strict and totally different than SSDI.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Actually, the amount you earned may or not reach the level of 'sga'. SGA is substantial gainful activity' which is a # the SSA program comes up with- I think it is 1k/month. ' The amount you earned' may be below 'sga'. I started working for SSDI and I am getting a crash course on acronym speak in the wacky world of government. They don't speak English.

SSDI payment is earned income in the sense that you have to turn around and pay federal income tax on the money you receive. But it isn't included in the 'earned income' figure that goes into deciding if you are making more than the earned income limit which currently is a grand a month.
    Last edited by arndog; 09-07-2011 at 11:27 PM.

So I'm still confused??? I currently get $950 a month from SSDI. So does that money apply to my SGA??? or is that completely seperate? The 2011 SGA level is $1000 a month so If I were to get a part time job I couldn't make over $50??? Can somebody set me straight before I get into trouble and miss out on benefits

I have no personal experience with SGA. I am willing to recount what I have learned reading posts here. The best source of authentic information is the Redbook.

It is not clear to me if you're receiving SSI or SSDI. SSDI is the disability insurance payments you get from Social Security after paying Social Security taxes for 10 years or 40 quarters. You could also qualify for it if you were disabled before 23 and one of your parents dies. SSI is supplemental income payment from Social Security if you have no other source of income.

If you are on SSDI and start working, you can continue to receive SSDI as long as your new work income is less than SGA. The SSDI is not counted toward SGA. Please look into the Redbook to see how long you can continue to do this. Also note that SGA can be offset by work-related expenses. So, in effect, you can earn more than SGA as long as the final amount after reducing the income by work-related expenses is below SGA.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    noticed that there is some confusing info in here, just a little clarification on this part:
    We count only the wages you earn from a job or your net profit if you're self-employed. Non-work income such as pensions, annuities, investment income, interest, capital gains and other government benefits are not counted and will not affect your Social Security benefits
    -from the ss website.
    Last edited by jschism; 09-13-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: add