Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do these types of income effect SSDI?

How do these types of income effect SSDI?

Do any of these types of income have an affect on SSDI assuming you are already on SSDI? I know that you can earn a certain amount, but assume that you exceed that amount. I am looking for source of income that are not considered 'earned income'. I believe that is the correct term.

1) Having a website and earning 'ad revenue' (blogs, whatever)

2) Selling items through Cafepress.com or similar

3) If not directly involved in selling on Cafepress or whereever, getting paid (Once or for each sale) on other sites (cannot find it now). This would be more like a royalty.

4) Selling Apps for iPhones, Androids, or Win 7 Mobile through their stores and and getting money for each download.

Looking for informed opinions, not just opinions. Everything would have to be on the up and up, not funny business, to much at risk.

Hope this is clear.

http://www.cafepress.com/

Incase you are not familiar with how this works. You can set up an account, create design(s), and sell stuff with those designs through the website. You never actually handle the merchandise, the website handles all the printing, shipping etc. You set the price, the websites takes their cut, you get the rest.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Since SSDI is based on having worked and contributing enough quarters to qualify it makes no difference what you make or have on the side. If you are talking about SSI that is an entirely different ball game. You would have to pay taxes on your earnings if high enough, but that is all.

...extra earnings CAN effect your SSDI. In my case I believe that after 800 per month my benifets will be adjusted.My understanding was tat any taxable income will affect your payments.....definately check into it further !

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Since SSDI is based on having worked and contributing enough quarters to qualify it makes no difference what you make or have on the side. If you are talking about SSI that is an entirely different ball game. You would have to pay taxes on your earnings if high enough, but that is all.
    If I understand what you are claiming, I do not think it can be true. You could get on SSDI, then get a $100K/yr job and still get SSDI?? I don't think so.

http://www.ssdrc.com/blog/2008/02/wo...ity-is-it.html

Tdirt,

I am not sure where I heard it, but I think 'earned income' is the important term. Stuff like rent, interesting income, investment income, inheritances, etc do not count. Wages, salary, and ?? do count. The question is, what is considered earned income?

Thanks
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-MN View Post
    If I understand what you are claiming, I do not think it can be true. You could get on SSDI, then get a $100K/yr job and still get SSDI?? I don't think so.

http://www.ssdrc.com/blog/2008/02/wo...ity-is-it.html

Tdirt,

I am not sure where I heard it, but I think 'earned income' is the important term. Stuff like rent, interesting income, investment income, inheritances, etc do not count. Wages, salary, and ?? do count. The question is, what is considered earned income?

Thanks
    No, I wasn't implying that you can get SSDI and work too at a high salary. What I meant was that earned income such as from bank accounts, cert. of deposits, and stock market (not that anyone needs to worry about that these days) are perfectly safe. Money made in other than employment should be safe, although I suppose if you push the margins too much on selling things the argument could be made that is the same as working.

Quote Originally Posted by tdirt View Post
    ...extra earnings CAN effect your SSDI. In my case I believe that after 800 per month my benifets will be adjusted.My understanding was tat any taxable income will affect your payments.....definately check into it further !
    For SSDI ---- As I understand it any taxable EARNED INCOME after a certain amount can affect your Disability Payment. For every dollar over that certain amount they remove some from your payment. Not dividends or capital gains.

The problem is if you earn over a certain amount you may not be disabled anymore.

Educate yourself!!!!!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    For SSDI ---- As I understand it any taxable EARNED INCOME after a certain amount can affect your Disability Payment. For every dollar over that certain amount they remove some from your payment. Not dividends or capital gains.

The problem is if you earn over a certain amount you may not be disabled anymore.

Educate yourself!!!!!!!
    This is yhe biggest misunderstanding that gets people in huge repaybacks. People PLEASE read the redbook. It is on the ss website.
    If you earn overthe sga, which is 1000 right now. You lose your whole check. Not a portion of it, the entire check.
    If you pay taxes on these sales it is earned income.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Joe-MN, any of what you propose would still be taxable income and would affect SSDI once a certain level is reached and exceeded. AddieSue is correct. Make friends with the SSA Red Book.

Of greater concern than income earned is what the additional earnings can do to Medicare health insurance. Unless you are on a policy through a partner/spouse, you stand to lose health benefits if earning beyond a sustained income amount.

I understand what you are looking for, but you have not found it yet. Talk to your financial adviser versed in all things dis before risking income and insurance bennies.

Hope you find what you love to do and a way to protect yourself financially.

AddieSue and LaMem are correct . It is worth spending time on the SSDI website. It is very readable and understandable.

There is a TWP (trial work period) that is there to encourage you to attempt work without risking your benefits. It is for 11 months. You can earn as much as Bill Gates and they will continue to pay you your benefits for those 11 months. If you stop at that point, no harm, no foul. You can go back on your monthly benefits. If you continue to work, and make over 1000/mo (SGA- substantial gainful activity), which I assume Bill Gates salary does, you won't receive your SSDI check any more AND you can do that for 32 months and STILL change your mind if you can't SUSTAIN your work effort and you can go back on your SSDI benefits, no harm, no foul without getting a dreaded reevaluation. Now if you go over the 32 months and on the 33rd month and you just can't continue to work, now you have to reapply anew. So it is a good system to try to get people to try working again.

It is my opinion that it isn't good to try to 'game' the system and earn money on the side and not report that. It is not living honestly. Just my opinion ! ! :-)

Thanks for all the replies.

As stated in my original post, I am looking for sources of income other than 'earned income' relative to SSDI. I am not going of go off SSDI. So I am looking to determine what exactly is considered the opposite of 'earned income', i.e., 'unearned income'. Everything I have seen says you can have as much 'unearned income' as you can get your grubby little hands on.

- I am not trying to 'game the system', as I also stated in my first post.

- So far I have not found any actual documentation/explanations that explicitly addresses the types of income I stated in my original post. My assumption is that unless explicitly stated otherwise, they would be considered 'earned income'. The royalty is the one, I think, most likely not to be considered 'earned income'.

A couple of links that help a little on definitions:

http://www.workworld.org/wwwebhelp/unearn.htm

http://www.babutlawssd.com/Articles/...Benefits.shtml