Thread: Pissing Accidents

Pissing Accidents

So... As a paraplegic, if you had ONE accident per day would that make you feel 1. Happy- like yay it's only one or 2. WTH- something must be wrong?

Trying to gain some perspective. Before botox bladder injections 2 months ago, my husband was having accidents every 1-2 hours. Then after the injections, they stopped completely. Now, he's having one a day and I can't decide how we're supposed to feel about it.

Any thougths appreciated. PS> It's him having to deal with the accidents so why do I feel so ticked off about it???

Botox does not work for everyone. Have you discussed with his urologist? Is he taking any other anticholergic medications currently? At what cath volume is he leaking? Perhaps he needs to cath more often.

Meanwhile, he can wear an external condom catheter to contain the urine until he gets this under control working with his urologist.

(KLD)

Hi "ging1218,"
    If I was experiencing one bladder accident a day, I would consider it totally unacceptable (I am C6/7 complete).

How does your husband manage his bladder? Has he had recent urodynamics studies and a complete urinary tract work up lately, i.e., renal ultrasound, cystoscopy etc? Does he take anticholinergic medications like oxybuytinin?''

If you can be a bit more specific about these accidents, those of us who read the thread might have some more concrete ideas to pass along to you and him.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-02-2011 at 07:09 PM.

We have. He's a great urologist but not easy to get in touch with. He has accidents an hour and half to two after cathing. When he caths it's usually 300cc to 400 cc and he goes every 3-4 hrs. He's also on some kind of other bladder control medicine. At his previous appt, he was leaking after holding only 5-8 ounces of liquid. I'm thinking surgery is in our future.

I guess that having one accident a day is a big improvement over having one every 1-2 hours. But in my opinion, one accident a day is still a lot! It sounds like the botox worked to some degree, but not enough to completely restore his quality of life, bladder-wise.

I have an SP (suprapubic) catheter, and it works really well for me. I got it shortly before botox for the bladder started being more widely used. I might have tried botox first, if it were available then. That being said, I went from leaking every hour to only having accidents for a "reason" now with the SP cath. I will have an accident pretty much only when I have drank a lot and then forgotten to empty my leg bag, when I have spasms from a UTI, or when I have kink in my tube causing the flow to be blocked. So maybe a few times a year will I end up having an accident.

I commend you guys for trying botox. It has certainly helped a lot of people (and it DID improve your husband's accident rate). Is it possible that he needs a "booster" or the botox, since your message implied that it worked better previously? But I don't think you're out of place feeling frustrated that he's still having daily accidents. I hope you guys find a solution soon!

Quote Originally Posted by ging1218 View Post
    At his previous appt, he was leaking after holding only 5-8 ounces of liquid. I'm thinking surgery is in our future.
    Did his urologist have any comments or insights about the leaking that was occurring at this "previous appointment?" Does your husband have frequent urinary tract infections?

Temporarily your husband may want to consider wearing a urine drip collector pouch to help keep dry longer. I have used both when I was cathing and prefer the coloplast design and fit.

http://www.coloplast.es/ecompany/gbm...a?OpenDocument

http://www.athomemedical.com/Male-Gu...-Collector.asp

I too have gone to a suprapubic catheter and find my quality of life much improved over cathing every 4-6 (and at the end, every 2 hours) hours around the clock. This is a very easy outpatient community medical procedure. A leg bag is worn to collect urine and I know that is objectionable to some people.

Before I went to a suprapubic catheter, I used an indwelling foley catheter. The indwelling catheter might be an interim option while your husband is weighing his options.

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    I agree with GJ, a foley and leg bag is a very simple (and effective) temporary fix to the leaking problem. I have not had problems with UTIs using a foley, but many people do, so it may or may not be a good long term solution.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Sounds like me. I leak like crazy. I am using condom cath with a leg bag. I cath every 3ish hours or depending on amount of liquids drank in 24 hour period. I have found that caffeine(soda, coffee, tea, and yes even chocolate) seem to make the leaking way worse for about 8 hours. Also alcohol makes me leak a lot for about 8 hours too. I am going to go in for Botox in about 2 weeks and give it the ol' college try. But if no big changes occur than I will stick these damn condom caths back on.
    Good luck and try to cut all caffeine and alcohol. It sure helped me. Sucks, but it works.

good news

wearing a leg bag sucks. i dont even consider it an option. I was just like your husband so i got botox injects, and it worked great for 1 month, then my second injection it worked great for 3 months, I got my third 5 months ago and I can go 4-5 hrs without leaking, even drinking a lot of water. I would go get another injection if i was your husband, after every botox injection it seems as if the bladder responded to it 2x better.

Quote Originally Posted by cjmackay View Post
    wearing a leg bag sucks. i dont even consider it an option. I was just like your husband so i got botox injects, and it worked great for 1 month, then my second injection it worked great for 3 months, I got my third 5 months ago and I can go 4-5 hrs without leaking, even drinking a lot of water. I would go get another injection if i was your husband, after every botox injection it seems as if the bladder responded to it 2x better.
    Absolutely NOT my experience with Botox. I am C6/7 quad, complete...external catheter for about 15 years, then intermittent catheter (CIC), and finally had to go to a supra pubic catheter in June 2010. I first tried Botox in 2006, in my CIC days. The first injection of Botox worked very well for about 8-9 months. The second one worked for about 6 months. Three and four were not worth the effort or expense. The supra pubic has been great since I am not tethered to ICI.

"T-tension," I am not following your post...from where are you leaking with a condom catheter and a leg bag? I wore a condom catheter and leg bag for many years and with the exception of blowing a condom catheter off on a rare occasion, I never "leaked." How do you cath "every 3ish hours or depending on amount of liquids drank in 24 hour period?" Do you use one of the penis tip catheters or one of the "cath through" catheters?

All the best,
    GJ