View Poll Results: Are Avocados/Guacamole Good or Bad for you?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good For You

39 88.64%
  • Bad For You.

5 11.36%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guacamole Debate

I thought the same thing as DD but upon doing a bit of research I stand corrected - see here - http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...odspice&dbid=5

So as always - all things in moderation - but the fat in avocados is the good fat ! Actually I'm going to eat more of them now that I know what I know for the anti-inflammatory benefits and the breath thing - who knew !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Didn't realize there were so many responses already when I posted this - didn't mean to be redundant - but for the record I L O V E MEXICAN food

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

From the California Avocado Growers Association website:
    http://www.avocado.org/

- What are the total carbs and calories in an avocado?

The total carbohydrates of an avocado (serving size 1/5 medium [30g/1oz]) is 3 grams or 1 percent of the daily value.

The total calories of an avocado (serving size 1/5 medium [30g/1oz]) is 50 per serving (35 calories from fat).

There is more at the website on the nutritional breakdown.

1/5 of an avocado is a very small portion, so moderation is the watch word and it is hard to judge how much of an avocado you are eating when you scoop a big dip on a corn chip, no matter how it is prepared. View avocados and guacomole as a condiment not a side dish.

Go to the website for everything you ever wanted to know and avocados and then some.

All the best,
    GJ

If you eat healthfully the majority of everyday, you dont really need to restrict the food that are high in calories, such as avocado, almonds and on and on (the foods that are nutritionally good for you). I also eat quite a bit of wild salmon which is high in fat. It is the people who eat everything that need to consume even healthy fats in moderation. I eat avocados all the time, nuts, salmon, etc and i dont gain weight. The person that eats the average american diet will.
    Last edited by marycsm77; 09-02-2011 at 12:08 PM.

I voted good for you, but only if you make your own, as the store bought seems to have a lot of additives that are no bueno.
    avacado because of the skin is usually safe from pesticides.
    kinda expensive here.

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    Didn't realize there were so many responses already when I posted this - didn't mean to be redundant - but for the record I L O V E MEXICAN food

Obie
    NL and I have always enjoyed Mexican food too, and growing up in Phoenix, we ate a lot of it, but it seems harder and harder to find really good Mexican food in restaurants. Maybe our tastes have changed...but it just seems no matter what you order, it all tastes the same.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    NL and I have always enjoyed Mexican food too, and growing up in Phoenix, we ate a lot of it, but it seems harder and harder to find really good Mexican food in restaurants. Maybe our tastes have changed...but it just seems no matter what you order, it all tastes the same.

All the best,
    GJ
    That is what I loved about NM, Colorado, and Arizona...you could find a different taste. I can't seem to get around everything tasting the same anymore. I got used to red/green chilis...
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Larry just loves to argue!!!

When I want peace and quiet....I just say "you are right". Whether he is or not

I am learning LOL
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    Larry just loves to argue!!!

When I want peace and quiet....I just say "you are right". Whether he is or not

I am learning LOL
    I do not like to argue, I love to debate.

Here's another one.........why is it necessary to order Cheese Sticks with Pizza? Isn't that redundant?? Tonja loves to order cheesey bread with pizza and I just don't get it..........
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Rivers flow north? WTF? Larry, the mighty Mississippi and the Gulf of Mexico would like a word!

I suspect you're probably right, ocean currents tend to flow north. Yet when You scubadive (wrong) off the coast of Louisiana, your body will wind up in Florida.

Or your tank might. Your body will be sharkbait by then most likely.

Shit. I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. Never Mind!