Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antler Velvet

Antler Velvet

www.doctortalk.com/royal_velvet.php Has anyone tried this? Dr. Young, would you know anything about this?

Quackery

Dietfraud.com comments:

Somehow, their webmaster has stopped typing. I wonder if he ran out of things to say. Basically, agri-business's "scientists" had encouraged thousands of ranchers to raise elk for their antlers, and then the market fell apart, and they had to find some North American, or European suckers to buy the stuff. I wonder if Alberta had a seacoast, if they would have farmed for sea lion or narwhal penis parts to help rescue their ranchers? Secondly, the researchers at places like the U. of Alberta had to do something to prove to that taxpayers that there are uses other than ravaging the land for money. Somehow they didn't want to make another mistake, like other agricultural booboos. Hey, it doesn't pollute, it doesn't destroy the landscape, and if the elk antlers fall off by themselves, they might make great Christmas tree ornaments. Maybe since the Great One has a contract with Tylenol and Budweiser Beer, he might be headed back to Edmonton to stand on the steps of the police department for another few million dollars, eh?

Check the mission statement carefully, and ask yourself one question, how could the university allow the use of it name, research, logos, etc. to sell something that has not been proved to do anything that dozens of companies claim? If you were the President of the University of Alberta, what would you say?

- Joe

Thanks Joe but....I was asking specifically about the claims in the above link and I wasn't interested in whether or not it was useful in dieting.

Bullsh*t

OK, sorry. Well, let's think about this a bit. Every year deer, elk and moose shed their antlers and grow new ones. The "velvet" is living vascular tissue that covers the new antlers while they are growing. When growth is done, the velvet sheds off the antlers.

Antlers are made of a hairlike material called keratin, as I recall from my days as a biology major in college. Antlers most absolutely do not have any nerves in them, they are dead tissue like fingernails and hair. As there are no nerves in antlers, I would find it extremely suspicious that anyone would claim that antler velvet has nerve-growth hormones or chemicals in it. Would be like claiming that powdered fingernails can stimulate nerve growth.

Makes no sense at all unless you are desperately seeking a cure. People who make claims like this should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

- Joe

Maybe...

I am desperate Joe. Desperate enough to ask any question I think will help in my son's recovery. Please understand this, when my son was injured 7mths ago, I was told nothing about therapies, trials... that might have helped him. So I just try not to leave any stones unturned, ok? Hopefully he won't be in a chair as long as you have and I won't have to ask any more BULLSH*T questions.

The everything and the kitchen sink approach to spinal cord injury is not going to be successful, in my opinion. This is because regeneration is a carefully balanced and delicate phenomena. Every factor may have multiple effects. For example, it is well known that neurotrophins cause apoptosis of cells when applied at too high a concentration. This was what Dennis Choi aptly named the "dark side" of neurotrophins. Likewise, if you recall, CSPG may be good for joints and articular surfaces but it inhibits axonal growth. Many of the factors oppose each other. A cocktail with too many ingredients doesn't work. Wise.

Thanks Dr. Young. That's all I need to know.

Sorry for misunderstanding

Jway:

My sincerest apologies. I was not attempting to imply that your question was bull, and I certainly understand you situation and the desire to do whatever you can to assist your son.

My anger and the bull comment were directed at the people who prey on the hopes of people by making completely false and unsubstantiated claims about everything under the sun being the next sure-fire cure for AIDS, SCI, and the common cold. Some people are absolutely shameless in the things they will say and do to cheat you out of your money.

You are certainly right to be interested in these things, and you are doing the right thing by coming to a source like this board to get answers. Now that you know some bullsh*t scumbag company out there is making outrageous claims about a worthless product being a cure for SCI in order to rip you off, aren't you a little mad, too?

Someday there will be a cure. But it won't be ginseng roots or bear gall bladders or any other worthless junk lying around in someone's backyard. It will be through the difficult and often thankless work of people like Dr. Young.

- Joe

No problem Joe and thanks for your response.

" Now that you know some b*llshit company scumbag company out there is making outrageous claims about a worthless product being a cure for SCI in order to rip you off, aren't you a little mad, too?"

Actually, I kind of feel sorry for people like this. I would have been mad if no-one answered my question and I went ahead and purchased, only to find out later...know what I mean?

I did email the guy and ask him to direct me to the "Very promising clinical studies..." that he claims are ongoing. If anyone is interested, I'll post his response, if there is one.

jway2002

Your son, if only 7 mos post injury, is still in spinal shock; who knows where he'll be in another 6 mos to a year, as his body recovers. In the meantime, and not knowing anything about his injury, what you CAN do is to prepare your son for upcoming therapies by getting him relatively healthy and strong. Take him to a naturopath and get him on some healthy supplements, get him in some form of exercise, get him off the myriad of prescribed drugs -as best as possible- and do your research so you know the problems you are and will be confronting,
    and what's coming down the line. And if you haven't yet, read Luba's book!

Sure you're desperate, but that's no excuse for sitting and waiting for others; not that you're doing that, I can't say of course, but informing yourself and preparing now, mapping strategies while your son heals is about all you can do. And don't wait for your doctor/therapist to bring you a damn thing, YOU become the doctor, the guy who is informed, dig? Good luck.

vgrafen