Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm trying to learn Spanish guitar music...

I'm trying to learn Spanish guitar music...

I've been on a German kick for a few years but now I want to try to explore the more emotive side of the traditional guitar, and that means Spain! Some of the greatest: Torres, Sor, Tarrega, Segovia came from Spain. If it wasn't for the Spanish influence it's doubtful guitar would be what it is, today.

I'm reeeealy hoping to shed the 'mechanical' nature my playing adopted studying Bach so intensely. While appropriate for most German guitar music, I need to learn to relax, scowl less, and develop more soul.

Here's what I've got so far, prelude to Lagrima by Francisco Tarrega. I've been recording myself recently to put some pressure on, to help with performance anxiety.

It's just the internal mic on the iMac and Photo Booth but it does the trick! Hope you like it!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Unhappy

I lost use of my fingers with my C-6 neck injury @ Virginia Beach... beach... 8 years ago. Since that time I can not play my guitar. I used to play Segovia, Tarrega ...Asturias...Adelitas...Habanera's...all gone

Btw....I can not open your link....Good luck anyway!
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Nice playing... I play a little myself. I play mostly Country-Blues, Ragtime type stuff but I try all kinds of playing. Lately I have been working on some Celtic finger picking songs...

For Spanish guitar watch some old videos of Charo... Coochie coochie!

charro is who I think of when it comes to spanish guitar.
    heres another clip if her doing the song she was doing first time I saw her when I was 9
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfVf7...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    I lost use of my fingers with my C-6 neck injury @ Virginia Beach... beach... 8 years ago. Since that time I can not play my guitar. I used to play Segovia, Tarrega ...Asturias...Adelitas...Habanera's...all gone

Btw....I can not open your link....Good luck anyway!
    That really sucks, comad. Sorry to hear about your injury. I picked up my SCI here, too. I'm about 50-60 measures into Asturias/Leyenda, right about when it turns into a real knuckle buster for me with the Cmajor7 at the 8th fret and the high e with the pinky. I'm playing a short scale guitar right now, 630mm, and I'm still struggling with the stretch and the following tremolo measures. One day. (And thanks for letting me know the link was broken!) Cheers, Dale

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    charro is who I think of when it comes to spanish guitar.
    heres another clip if her doing the song she was doing first time I saw her when I was 9
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfVf7...eature=related
    Man, she rocks MalagueƱa! She really plays it fast! There are tons of versions on youtube, too. Very cool.

I like!

btw, was the lighting on purpose??

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I like!

btw, was the lighting on purpose??
    Thanks! No, the lighting wasn't a consideration. The sun was beginning to set and just off to my side, next to the computer desk, is a large west facing glass window.

daleB, that was really lovely, thank you so much for posting, and please post any more pieces you've recorded. i think your idea for overcoming performance anxiety by doing this is brilliant.

i'm not a guitarist, so am wondering if you're using the shorter necked guitar because it's better suited to the wheelchair?

comad, i don't mean to pry, but do you have any residual extension/flexion in any of your fingers? i'm asking because, like you, i had to give up my instrument (piano) post-injury, (C5-6 incomplete). i really missed playing piano. by chance, i saw a harpo marx movie clip, where he was playing a melody on the harp using only his right index finger--and he extended his wrist outward to place his index finger on the string. that was an 'a-ha!' moment for me, because i knew i could at least do that. i rented a small irish harp and started playing melodies using just my rt. index finger.
    because the harp strings are vertical and the height of harp can be adjusted and arms supported on either side, i think it could be a good tool for sci hand therapy, esp. if you enjoy playing music.

here's a link to a few small, well-made and affordable harps built with sturdy flat bases that could easily be attached to a tray table for hand therapy use:
    http://www.stoneyend.com/lap-harps.php

i've been using the harp for 40 years now for occupational and mental health therapy ; ) and although i haven't regained the full use of my hands, i have developed much greater finger strength and dexterity and more extension and flexion in all my fingers.
    it's instantly rewarding to pluck a string and hear the note, and that motivates me to keep at it.

dale, you've inspired me to try to find a way to post a clip of playing a small harp with my quad hands technique. i'll see if my teenaged son can
    help me with the tech details.

comad, if you can bend your wrist to extend even one finger that you can place on a string and contract to pluck the string, you might be able to enjoy making string music again and surprise yourself with what happens.

lee1, i like to play celtic tunes also; wouldn't it be fun to have a cc musicians ensemble and play skype music sessions once in a while?

of course, if using hands to play isn't possible, then singing is an ideal music making option too and terrific respiratory exercise.

Thanks for taking the time to listen. Glad it was nice to you! I love harp music, thanks for that link. Never tried one, but always wanted to. I use this short scale guitar for a bunch of reasons, but you guess it, mostly related to the size being easier to manage for my over used hands and fingers. The body is also ~3/4 the size of a standard guitar. Much easier to manage from a chair. (It was built using a copy of the dimensions from a guitar made in 1856 by Antonio de Torres, one that luthier Kenneth Hill had in his shop for a repair. He then remade it as a double top, lattice braced classical guitar the same size. I feel blessed to be able to play it, it sure is lovely, even though I'm a sucker for anything made from wood and strings, to make music!)

I'd love to see some harp playing, if you (and your son ) can manage. That sounds pretty, cool. I'm sure lots of other people would love to see that too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crashbang View Post
    daleB, that was really lovely, thank you so much for posting, and please post any more pieces you've recorded. i think your idea for overcoming performance anxiety by doing this is brilliant.

i'm not a guitarist, so am wondering if you're using the shorter necked guitar because it's better suited to the wheelchair?

comad, i don't mean to pry, but do you have any residual extension/flexion in any of your fingers? i'm asking because, like you, i had to give up my instrument (piano) post-injury, (C5-6 incomplete). i really missed playing piano. by chance, i saw a harpo marx movie clip, where he was playing a melody on the harp using only his right index finger--and he extended his wrist outward to place his index finger on the string. that was an 'a-ha!' moment for me, because i knew i could at least do that. i rented a small irish harp and started playing melodies using just my rt. index finger.
    because the harp strings are vertical and the height of harp can be adjusted and arms supported on either side, i think it could be a good tool for sci hand therapy, esp. if you enjoy playing music.

here's a link to a few small, well-made and affordable harps built with sturdy flat bases that could easily be attached to a tray table for hand therapy use:
    http://www.stoneyend.com/lap-harps.php

i've been using the harp for 40 years now for occupational and mental health therapy ; ) and although i haven't regained the full use of my hands, i have developed much greater finger strength and dexterity and more extension and flexion in all my fingers.
    it's instantly rewarding to pluck a string and hear the note, and that motivates me to keep at it.

dale, you've inspired me to try to find a way to post a clip of playing a small harp with my quad hands technique. i'll see if my teenaged son can
    help me with the tech details.

comad, if you can bend your wrist to extend even one finger that you can place on a string and contract to pluck the string, you might be able to enjoy making string music again and surprise yourself with what happens.

lee1, i like to play celtic tunes also; wouldn't it be fun to have a cc musicians ensemble and play skype music sessions once in a while?

of course, if using hands to play isn't possible, then singing is an ideal music making option too and terrific respiratory exercise.