Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quads who use hoyer lifts?

Question Quads who use hoyer lifts?

What kind do you use? How easy is it to get the sling out from under you in the wheelchair?

I've been sitting on mine for 20 yrs. which worked okay while my roho was softer. Now it's firmer and it's cutting into my skin.

I've tried to get the sling out from under me before & it messed me up too much to stay in wc.

I need to find the easiet one there is and any tips you you can share.
    Thanks! Mona

I currently use the u-shaped sling that easily slides in and out from behind and beneath me. For about 10-12 years, I used the mesh type that stay under you, but one year when I got a new chair I also received a new hoyer and new sling. Love it as its easy to use and you needn't leave it under you all day. Here is a site showing the type of sling I'm using now.
    http://www.phc-online.com/U_Slings_f...ts_s/18063.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I currently use the u-shaped sling that easily slides in and out from behind and beneath me. For about 10-12 years, I used the mesh type that stay under you, but one year when I got a new chair I also received a new hoyer and new sling. Love it as its easy to use and you needn't leave it under you all day. Here is a site showing the type of sling I'm using now.
    Thanks Scott! Is that the whole thing? What supports your back? It wraps around your legs right? Any part under your bottom? How much?
    Sorry so many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Sorry I found my answers by scrolling down.

I will read on. Thanks!

Scott do you tilt your chair before getting in it? I like to be the way back in my wc leaning forward just a little. Can't figure how I could do that in this. I think your bottom hangs & your knees come to your chest. Right? thanks

Are you actually using a Hoyer (brand) mechanical mobile floor lift, or are you using that term generically? Hoyer makes several models, and except for the Advance, I never recommend them. There are better companies and lifts on the market now days. If you are using one of the old Hoyers with the chains, get rid of it!! Those things are dangerous and have been recalled.

Only in rare circumstances do we ever recommend sitting on any sling when in your wheelchair. They can cause major pressure ulcers, and pretty much take away most of the pressure reducing properties of any decent wheelchair cushion.

If your PCA or other caregiver gently pushes on your knees when lowering you into your chair you should be well back (all the way) in the chair. Unless the sling is too big, your knees and hips should not be flexed much more than 90 degrees.

Use of a U-shaped sling that supports you under both thighs and around your back (and head if needed) but leaves the buttocks open make getting a sling on/off in the chair much easier, and also allows you easily to use one for getting on/off a commode or shower chair. Here is an example. Virtually all the mobile floor lift companies make a version of a sling similar to this:

Notice how there is no sling fabric actually under the buttocks in this version:

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-01-2011 at 08:39 PM.

What about the Surehands Body support sling. I'm looking at one myself.
    http://www.handimove.com/pages/us/pr...s-body-support

Mona, if you go to that link and scroll down, there is an actual picture of how you sit in the sling...the trick is to cross over the leg area...left leg part of sling hooks on right and right hooks on left, yes butt is exposed but with them crossed you aren't gonna fall through...our lift is a six point and the loops have 4 different colors and depending on I guess either weight or comfort gives you the opportunity to sit in the sling different ways...we experimented and use green-purple-green...we also recline the chair a bit and I get in the back and use the handles that are on the back of the sling and pull my son into place...takes practice...once in the chair I uncross the leg part simply lean him forward (taking chair out of recline) because the sling is made to fit at the base of the back it is easy to remove because your not sitting under it... I do have an extra one I can send you to try out...I "retro fitted it"...lol...took it to a seamstress and had that fake lambs wool sewed into area's to protect his skin more...send me your address and I'll get it in the mail, it is a size large tho...let me know...judy

KDL's posted picture is what I was talking about...I should have used thighs instead of "legs in trying to explain how we do it...good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    Absolutely no way I'd use that. I can assure you my wife would slide through until her knees were shoved into her face. Under the arms like this is much safer: