Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Central Pain a somatization syndrome

Is Central Pain a somatization syndrome

Well, you are going to have to take your pick this month. We have a continuing publication of articles implying that somaticization (mental distress transferred to body pain) is the key but we also have some studies showing that central pain is a real as rain.

FOR THE MIND/BODY TEAM

You have heard the joke about the terrorist who disguised himself as a woman by wearing a burka, but then felt compelled to begin hitting himself with a stick. The mind/body team thinks of central pain something like that.

Neopterin is a marker for interferon gamma, a cytokine by which some psychiatrists think a person can induce pain in themselves. Let us link this to the mind/body thinking. Neopterin is UP in pain somatization. They did not include those with central pain, but then, those of us with pain are all the same, aren't we? Low back pain=agonizing dysesthetic burning, right? Hey, we're lucky. We could have some paralysis or something really bad. "Here, let me help you with that door, but shut the freak up about your stupid pain, nobody cares".

FOR THE CENTRAL PAIN IS REALLY BAD TEAM

We also have some researchers showing that brain derived neurotrophic factor will cause a very long hypersensitization in the dorsal horn (where pain travels) Oddly, the dose is not related to severity. Once .003 nanograms of BDNF are injected, the neuropathic pain will remain for at least 42 days, which matches the 42 day duration in an intentionally induced mechanical pain model in rats. Increasing the dose does not increase the pain. BDNF is UP in central sensitization, due to genetic upregulation. It comes from the glia which surround neurons. It is not a one time deal In central pain, the glia keep making it. They also keep making more glia. (4x increase in neuropathic central pain)

We also have scientists who claim to have found a zinc finger (linker transcription factor) called Sip-1 which controls the sensitivity of dorsal root ganglion neurons (pain neurons in the dorsal horn). These act by affecting sodium ion channels. (recall that Bryan Hain at Yale discovered fetal sodium ion channels produced in central pain--the research funded by Christopher Reeve, no doubt coached by our beloved Wise Young)

Then there is the recent finding that in central sensitization pain, there is spatial increase in the theta wave in the brain, as it travels from the thalamus to the cortex. Such changes in thalamocortical oscillations are related to calcium ion channels.

So central pain is either what we maladjusted individuals are doing to ourselves, OR it is due to a genetically controlled channelopathy which manifests with increased BDNF and other neuroinflammatory chemicals in our brains and cords.

As you sit, either imagining your dysesthetic burning which you have caused, or as you sit wondering if there is ANYTHING, ANYTHING AT ALL you could possibly do to STOP or EASE the pain, you may want to decide where you stand. Is this something you are doing to yourself (in which case, I would recommend stopping it) OR is this a real disease. If you conclude you are actually burning, having lancinating jolts, muscle pain and other unbearable suffering (rather than just punishing yourself), then you might want to write your elected congressmen and ask them to fund pain research at NIDCR, pain unit.

Personally, I hate everything about Central Pain, and I am noteworthy for having NO CONTROL whatsoever over my theta wave (my mother-in-law will swear to this), so my money is on the likelihood central pain is a disease. Disease means we need to cure it, ie spend money for research. And if I need a psychiatrist it is for anger management at other psychiatrists who claim I am making this up.

P.S. Please no posts asking me to make this information simple. It isn't simple. However, if you first write ten letters to your elected congressmen, I will attempt to make it simple. If you write a hunded letters, I will explain the meaning of life, which meaning is probably pretty obscure if you have bad central pain. No matter what you do, I am unable to explain what women want, unless those women have central pain--they want the pain to stop.
    Last edited by dejerine; 08-31-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dejerine View Post
    Well, you are going to have to take your pick this month. We have a continuing publication of articles implying that somaticization (mental distress transferred to body pain) is the key but we also have some studies showing that central pain is a real as rain.

Neopterin is a marker for interferon gamma, a cytokine by which some psychiatrists think a person can induce pain in themselves. Let us link this to the mind/body thinking. Neopterin is UP in pain somatization.

We also have some researchers showing that brain derived neurotophic factor will cause a very long hypersensitization in the dorsal horn (where pain travels) Oddly, the dose is not related to severeity. Once .003 nanograms of BDNF are injected, the neuropathic pain will remain for at least 42 days, which matches the duration in an intentionally induced pain model in rats. Increasing the dose does not increase the pain.

We also have scientists who claim to have found a zinc finger (linker transcription factor) called Sip-1 which controls the sensitivity of dorsal root ganglion neurons (pain neurons in the dorsal horn). These act by affecting sodium ion channels. (recall that Bryan Hain at Yale discovered fetal sodium ion channels produced in central pain--the research funded by Christopher Reeve, no doubt coached by our beloved Wise Young)

Then there is the recent finding that in central sensitization pain, there is spatial increase in the theta wave in the brain, as it travels from the thalamus to the cortex. Such changes in thalamocortical oscillations are related to calcium ion channels.

So central pain is either what we maladjusted individuals are doing to ourselves, OR it is due to a genetically controlled channelopathy which manifests with increased BDNF in our brains and cords.

As you sit, either imagining your dysesthetic burning which you have caused, or as you sit wondering if there is ANYTHING, ANYTHING AT ALL you could possibly do to STOP or EASE the pain, you may want to decide where you stand. Is this something you are doing to yourself (in which case, I would recommend stopping it) OR is this a real disease. If you conclude the latter, then you might want to write your elected congressmen and ask them to fund pain research at NIDCR, pain unit.

Personally, I hate everything about Central Pain, and I am noteworthy for having NO CONTROL over my theta wave, so my money is on the likelihood central pain is a disease, not an imaginary friend.
    Well, if CP is an imaginary mate, I wish they would find a way for me to get an imaginary divorce. Not like I haven't survived a few real ones.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

If it is imaginary....I want my job and my life back!

Amputation of my legs is a consideration and I am serious. I only have it below the knees and I don't know how people live with it who have in larger areas of the body than me. I sympathize, empathize, and whatever else with them....

Its not imaginary...they can shove that notion straight up their ass!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Thanks Dej. Your humor at the end is great. I wonder what I would get for 1000 letters. I am currently concerned with ERs changing their policy about patients coming in with intractable pain and they are going have POLICIES in place about not treating people with IV or IM narcotics. It worries me if and when I get my next intestinal obstruction and there is one thing that will relieve the suffering - dilaudid. To get labeled a drug seeker would be brutal. This anti-opiate phase may be difficult to weather.

I am sitting now trying to live a normal-ish life waiting for the stake up the butt later today. I don't think I could wish this upon myself.

I hope the pipeline from DM neuropathy where there are big bucks, produces something that helps. You can write all these letters, but there just aren't enough people with CP for pharma to make it worth their while. I have friends in the pharma business and that is what it boils down to. Cost of investment versus cost of sales. Next time, Dejerine, try to get a more popular medical condition........

As someone who suffers from central pain, one of the most irritating things about the somatization theory is that CP's manifestations often come as such a surprise - no one could dream up its strange, nearly unbearable character, or the odd locations where it appears (never to leave again).

I can personally relate to the research showing that the dose of BDNF does not need to be large in order to produce this pain - in my experience, the most minor incidents (and for some, I am not even able to pinpoint an event) can precipitate periods of utter anguish. Central pain is never silent...ever. It is completely beyond the control of the mind, by any definition of consciousness.

Arndog,

More popular medical condition? NOW you tell me. Pain being the number one item for medical dollars spent, I thought I had a winner. All this moaning and groaning just to get sympathy, and now I have to look for a new disease. Popular disease de jour. Something common you suggest. How about physiologic musculoskeletal disproportion (ugliness). No? How about essential obesity? Aging? PTS over the bailout?

You want payment for 1000 letters? I thought I got professional courtesy.

Would you go for molecules of air from the exact same atmospheric ecosystem that Justin Bieber uses? A steel molar crown guaranteed to keep you out of the MRI machine? How about a boilerplate standard version of an IME.

Here it is:

Chief complaint alleged PAIN
    FAMILY 45 yo Metrosexual WM
    HEENT no one is perfect
    LUNGS Breath sounds audible and chest nl to percussion and auscultation, I suspect.
    HEART No clinically significant ventricular tachycardia. Rhythm pretty regular.
    NEURO Normal, more or less. Alleged cord trauma not evident on plain film or faxed TSA exam.
    ORTHO All joints present and accounted for.

IMPRESSION Boo Hoo on the pain. Healthy and able to do the hardest quarry work, lava sampling, or lead mining nonstop in all temperature extremes with little or nothing to eat or wear, regardless of radiation levels, or proximity to earth's core. No absolute reason to exclude him from THE BATCHELOR, American Idol or Keeping Up With the Kardashians.

Plan: submit this IME ASAP for payment.
    Last edited by dejerine; 09-01-2011 at 02:16 AM.

omg. no, my mind is not creating this. it didn't exist in any shape, form or extremity before injury despite any stress. what a bunch of numbskulls (pun intended). i wish to hell it was my mind. then i'd have some hope. i didn't even know what hit me when neck broke. didn't have time to be depressed by pain, thought it was going away. i thought that for at least 2 yrs. i'd like to put these numbskulls in this pain and tell em, hey, just your mind.
    Last edited by cass; 09-01-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Dej - thanks for cracking me up - you are hilarious. Love the PE. I would change the Chief Complaint to - "alleged" Pain to go along with "alleged" trauma to SC. Everything is only 'alleged'. Especially with an individual who 'alleges' oral mucous membrane pain - never heard of that so it can't be real........

Arndog.

You should see some of the "I am vitally concerned about America's Health" form letters I get back from Congressional aides. Now THEY are funny. Harkin from Iowa is the only one who ever said anything real.
    Last edited by dejerine; 09-01-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Since I spent years being sent to a psychiatrist because some docs decided the neuro problems I had (like not being able to walk and losing the use of my hands) were all in my head and not because a big ol' malignant tumor had invaded my spinal cord, it makes perfect sense that my neuro pain is all in my head, too. Imaginary tumor, imaginary pain. QED.

dej, your posts make me laugh, cry, and get really pissed off all at once. And I love you for it.

BTW, when my hundredth letter goes out, would you explain something other than the ultimate meaning of life, the universe, and everything to me? Given that pain -- neuropathic in humans and mechanical in rats -- will be present for at least 42 days after it's intentionally induced, I'm satisfied that Douglas Adams already covered that.

The info Arndog is hearing from his friends in big pharma has inspired me to investigate if/how CP can officially be designated an "orphan" condition, which would enable any drug company who develops an effective treatment or cure to have the cost of researching and bringing the drug(s) to market offset under the Orphan Drug Act.
    Last edited by thehipcrip; 09-01-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar