Thread: Suppose to reduce NF-κB activity

Wise? - My scam alarm is ringing, but I'm also curious?
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

One of the most effective blockers of NF-kappa-b is methylprednisolone, by the way, and I don't think that there is any evidence that the drug is useful for chronic spinal cord injury. It is beneficial only when given shortly after injury, i.e. within 3 hours preferably.

There have been many claims of anabolic steroids having beneficial effects on spinal cord injury. I have never been convinced that it improves neurological function. Anabolic steroids may increase muscle bulk but may have deleterious side-effects on heart and the endocrine system.

Wise.

Scam alert???

But for overall conditions related to SCI would this be a good product to try. Is Roskamp Institute a good institution? They seem to be working for a cause similiar to ours.

Roskamp chart

One example of an anti-inflammatory agent that can inhibit NF-B and whose molecular target appears to be known is aspirin or sodium salicylate (Grilli et al., 1997). Aspirin is one of a class of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSADs) that have commonly been thought to act via inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis (Weissmann, 1991). However, aspirin has also been shown to block NF-B activity by preventing IB degradation after stimulation by phorbol ester, TNF or LPS (Kopp and Ghosh, 1994). Even if the specificity of aspirin for inhibition of NF-B has been disputed (Frantz and O'Neill, 1995), it is a quite effective blocker of NF-B induction. Aspirin and sodium salicylate specifically inhibit NF-B nuclear translocation by preventing IB phosphorylation and degradation (Pierce et al., 1996). Recently, Yin et al. (1998) have shown that aspirin can directly bind to and inhibit the kinase activity of IKK by reducing its ability to bind ATP. Other NSADs, such as tepoxaline, defereoxamine, and ibuprofen, are also able to inhibit NF-B (Kazmi et al., 1995; Palayoor et al., 1998; Ritchie et al., 1995). Of particular interest, ibuprofen has been used as a growth suppressor for human colon cancer and to sensitize prostate cancer cells to ionizing therapy (Palayoor et al., 1998).

http://www.rfdn.org/inflammaging3.html

- Hi Felps - Please don't misunderstand me, - I've just become hypersensitive .. I didn't mean, in any way, that you were promoting this..
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.