Thread: How do you know if your allergic to a catheter/foley?

How do you know if your allergic to a catheter/foley?

I have always gotten the same kind of catheters/foleys, but seem to get dysreflexia when I use a new one. I'm just not sure if maybe I'm allergic to the type of foley that it is. It's silicone coated, and I have never gone outside the box.
    God is good

It is rare to have an allergy to catheter materials other than latex. Most often a latex allergy will apply to all types of latex: catheters, gloves, rubber bands, latex balloons, etc. etc. etc. Rash is common, but hives, breathing problems, itching, throat swelling and even anaphylaxis and cardiac arrest are not unknown. Also, many people who develop latex allergies also develop allergies to bananas, kiwi fruit, and avocados. Does that apply to you?

Cystoscopy may reveal swelling or other lesions from your catheter. Have you had this done recently?

Have you tried a pure silicone rather than just a silicone coated catheter? Rochester makes one that is fairly soft. Many others are too stiff and that alone can cause AD.

Are you taking an anticholenergic medication? This can help to prevent AD related to catheter manipulation (like changing).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Also, many people who develop latex allergies also develop allergies to bananas, kiwi fruit, and avocados.

(KLD)
    How interesting. Is there a known chemical common denominator?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

During video-urodynamics, I could see a 'shadow' of the foley bulb ... it was irritating my bladder so I switched from latex to silicone tipped. It was supposed to stop leaking, but it didn't work, lol.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

This organization has lots of information about latex allergy, including cross-allergies to foods: http://latexallergyresources.org/

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It is rare to have an allergy to catheter materials other than latex. Most often a latex allergy will apply to all types of latex: catheters, gloves, rubber bands, latex balloons, etc. etc. etc. Rash is common, but hives, breathing problems, itching, throat swelling and even anaphylaxis and cardiac arrest are not unknown. Also, many people who develop latex allergies also develop allergies to bananas, kiwi fruit, and avocados. Does that apply to you?

Cystoscopy may reveal swelling or other lesions from your catheter. Have you had this done recently?

Have you tried a pure silicone rather than just a silicone coated catheter? Rochester makes one that is fairly soft. Many others are too stiff and that alone can cause AD.

Are you taking an anticholenergic medication? This can help to prevent AD related to catheter manipulation (like changing).

(KLD)
    Thanks!!! I don't have any kind of food allergies that I'm aware of, and I am not taking anything to help with the AD. I'll look into anticholenergic though. Also, could the way I wear it cause the AD maybe?
    I don't use an extender. I insert the foley and fill it to the 30cc(or less,20cc, for a 30cc ballon) then the bag is connected right to the foley. it normally goes to about my knee where I strap it on and the bag is on the inside of my leg to about 4-5 inches from my ankel (depending on the size of the bag).
    I don't always get AD, so that's why I'm confused. but most times I do...
    God is good

Try wearing your leg bag on your calf instead. You may not be getting enough dependent drainage and urine could be backing up in your bladder (or worse).

(KLD)