Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discrimination in the workplace?

No ulterior motive that I know of...I work for a local city government, which to me makes the fact that they are discriminating even worse! I think they just don't like having to bend to someone else's rules...they don't like that I do need accommodations and that they have to provide them. I work with a bunch of politicians...that should say it all!! I will start documenting their comments. Great idea!

I make the comment quite often that my physiatrist doesn't live in the real world. He's a great doctor except for when it comes to my work issues. His answer is always more accommodations and the more accommodations I need, the more harassment I get at work.
    I'm not sure if it's a power struggle with him or what! Whatever his problem is, he's not making my life any easier!!! That said, I still would never consider going to another physiatrist. He really is a great doctor who knows his stuff!

I don't WANT to do my bowel program at work. I had gone to my physiatrist to ask him to put me off work on disability. I feel like I'm not able to care for my body and bowels properly because I'm working. After 8 years of fighting my bowels they still want to go during the day so I end up eating Immodium like candy at work because I already get so much grief about time spent in the bathroom and because I can't always make it to the bathroom in time. That is causing some health issues now so I figured it was time to stop working. He disagreed. His answer was to do my bowel program at work and everything would be fine. I am going to a gastro doctor on Thursday and am hoping that she agrees with me. I'm thinking that since the bowels are her specialty and if she says I shouldn't be working, I don't need my physiatrist's medical opinion to stop working and apply for Social Security Disability.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll let you know what happens.
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

Quote Originally Posted by Susqu View Post
    Try ada.gov. There's a question and answer section that might help you. Your employer is required to give you reasonable accomodations as long as it doesnt cause undue hardship to the employer. Both are very flexible terms. Put your request for accomodation in writing and get the response also in writing.

Try to explore any flexibility to your working conditions with them first. Flexibility on your part and on theirs. Try to come up with alternate solutions to address their concerns. Another resource for you both may be the JAN, Job Accomodation Network.
    Thanks for the links. I have been on both of those sites quite a bit this week and have sent them both to my union reps so that they are fully informed of my rights and better able to help me.

I'm thinking that I am going to have my physiatrist put together my requests for reasonable accommodations so that they see that it's actually coming from a doctor and not just something I sat home and dreamed up. He also wants the phone number of my union rep so that he can explain to her that I have to have the accommodations, not that that's going to do much good.

Sigh, I am so frustrated, exhausted, and stressed out!!!
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

Just noticed 'Michigan' ... corrupt politicians and government over there.

Sorry you're going through this.

I've been off work since January. I'm not ready to give it up yet .. consider the decision carefully.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I had a similar issue. I filed a compliant with the EEOC. I won.
    http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

It is within your right to have your doctor write a reasonable accomodation according to eeoc law. however, your the one who is the employee.

I would advise you to write your complaints you believe are descrimination down.

Even if you file, that doesnt mean theres a case, it will likely end in mediation.

Good job Addisue!

If you want to go on SSDI, SCI is an automatic approval.