Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drug pumps for pain - SynchroMed II

Formerly The People's Republic of Palo Alto, Now The Urban Wasteland - Orange, CA

Question Drug pumps for pain - SynchroMed II

Hi everyone - I'm letting my insomnia get the better of me this evening as I'm rather preoccupied with a potential solution or at least the prospect of a fix for my chronic pain in my back.

I saw a new doctor - a movement disorder and neurological pain expert, and he suggested that it might be worthwhile to try an implanted drug pump that would deliver morphine directly into my spine. I received a little information about the treatment option, and have been doing some research on the SynchroMed II, the pump that the doctor mentioned.

All the research in the world isn't a replacement for hearing a real-life testimonial. Has anybody here used a SynchroMed II, or similar device for their pain management? What is your experience, pros and cons? What sort of service interval are we talking about regarding the battery life of the device, and servicing - drug refills, and such?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. My other option is status quo, which is just not acceptable for me. I'll have a nice opiate stash that'll last me till Judgement Day regardless of what I try to do, but I'm sick of feeling drugged out all the time just so I won't hurt...

And, while we're on the topic - are there any left field alternatives you might be aware of, that might be worth a try? I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Thank you all in advance!

I have a great Dr. on everything pain,and he too wanted me on a pump. I refused,because I don't want anymore poking at my broken body. I too have a stash at a safe location,but that is just me being paranoid that my home will burn down with all my meds. Better safe than sorry!LOL
    I will ask my Doc like I said he is the BEST and he will educate me on your question. I will let you know what he said if you haven't come up with a solution by then.

Gunnslinger8

Kinda provocative avatar I just noticed,maybe not. Sorry.

Hey PAP, is this doctor in the bay area? If so can you either post or PM me his contact info?

Thanks,
    T

Get away from me T8! LOL ( inside joke Pixie )

GS8

Formerly The People's Republic of Palo Alto, Now The Urban Wasteland - Orange, CA
    T8: Check your messages... I just sent the contact info for him. You're welcome. :-)

I'm leaning toward not going with this option - I'm very split on status quo, or a potential new headache that I'd have to deal with. Seems like it's going toward fixing one problem by creating another...

I've had a Medtronics pump since '96 for spasticity. Changed my life for the better. As I understand it, with pain meds, one needs to get the pump refilled quite often, even as often as every week or two. With just baclofen, I go 6 months between refills.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I had no idea you had to get refills. I can't afford to get refills that often. I'm glad I turned down the pain pumps now...every 2 weeks screw that.
    They wanted me to get Baclofen pump,but still too scared.
    Gunnslinger8

Read me ASAP, palo alto pixie

Please, please consider the pain pump. I Have had major back surgery that completely was damning, and had lots of other pains and issues associated and attributed from that. It was massive, I had actually thought life wasnt gona get any better. It got to where I couldnt walk more than 30mins. I have 3 young children, which almost depressed me, but they along with an amazing supportive husband kept me going.
    Anyhow they have a 24 trial for the pain pump. I noticed an instant relief. Two weeks ago fiinally got permanent pump in, and well life is just begining for me. ( without constant excruciating pain,anyway) theres a few side affects that get better, but i felt instant pain decrease.

There are class action lawsuits going on because they claim that pain pumps can cause Post-Arthroscopic Glenohumeral Chondrolysis (PAGCL) when they're used following arthroscopic surgery. I have no idea if that's a risk if you haven't used one post-surgery, but I'd at least ask your doc about it and ask on some pain management forums. I surely hope it's not a problem others.

i tried it, well the trial. my ervous systembelow my injury is so marginal I lost B&B and leg movement. It helped lesst than I'd hoped, did some but with CP it didnt really fill the bill

ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM