Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much weight is need to build muscle?

A recent study has shown that a training mode with lower weight and higher reps actually is more effective at inducing muscle anabolism and muscle growth.

http://www.brinkzone.com/bodybuildin...est-way-to-go/

Add in some protein and Creatine and you'll get all rocked up.

I think the jury is still out on creatine. Even the manufacturers admit it does nothing to increase strength, it is only for giving a person extra energy to be able to exercise longer. It requires a loading phase for your body to become accustomed to it and then you can only use it for about a month (after the loading phase) until you have to take a month off and start the routine all over again. I've been told by alot of wheelchair athletes not to use supplements, just eat right.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    I think the jury is still out on creatine. Even the manufacturers admit it does nothing to increase strength, it is only for giving a person extra energy to be able to exercise longer. It requires a loading phase for your body to become accustomed to it and then you can only use it for about a month (after the loading phase) until you have to take a month off and start the routine all over again. I've been told by alot of wheelchair athletes not to use supplements, just eat right.

I have read about creatine and I have taken creatine so I respectfully disagree. It does increase strength for short bursts of energy to do anything physical but does nothing for endurance. It does not require a loading phase. 5g a day is fine to take. You don't have to stop taking it after a month. In fact Dr. Wise Young wrote an extensive article about Creatine and SCI here.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...2@creatine.htm

Creatine is found in red meat and other things we eat everyday. It helps the flow of water to the muscle tissue enabling it to recuperate the lost nutrients it loses during a workout.

As far as 30 pound weights, it really depends on your fitness level. If you are trying to build muscle, then attempt to accomplish 3 sets of 8-10 reps. If you just want to stay tone, or being tone is your goal, a lesser weight with more repetitions is for you. Start with a weight that allows you to complete all repetitions.

Your last repetition should be difficult to complete. Over weeks or months as it becomes easier to complete all repetitions, it's time to increase the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Back when. It was if you could do 15 reps you added 10%. Form is very important. Do the movements slowly. The slower the better. In both the contraction and extension. You will actually get more bulk from the slow extension.
    Usually to build bulk you work a muscle group every other day. That gives it time to regrow.
    Diet is also important. If you eat cheeseburgers and fry's you are wasting your time.
    I concurr , in my experience if you are after muscle size do slow sets of 12 reps with a moderate weight . Actual strength is a different kettle of fish though, big weights low reps ,lots of sets.