Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much weight is need to build muscle?

How much weight is need to build muscle?

I read online that 30lbs of weight will help you build muscle using bench press, 2 arm curls etc. Anyone know if this is true? I know diet is important too but I'm just asking
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

You can do it with less if needed. The most important thing to remember is form and function. I see so many guys at the gym oushing heavy weights wrong; doing bicep curls with 90lbs. rocking back and forth like a rocking chair. Crazy.

Dang, you can tone muscle with rubber cords and bands. THe main thing to remember is isolating the muscle group oyu want to exercize and do it properly.

isnt it the heavier weight you use the faster and bigger your muscle will build?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Not entirely. It more like the more "work" your muscles do. For example, 50 reps with a 5 pound weight will build muscle faster than 10 reps with 20 pounds.

it all depends on your physic for fast results. muscles have memories in fitness world. i have not work out in 2 weeks but if i lift 30 to 40 dumb bells 4 days in a week, one would think i workout all year around.
    i would recommend 30 pounds and as well other excersizes...
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

papito1, using both arms for bicep curls and bench press?

Enough resistance to fatigue the muscles after 8-12 reps is
    the correct amount of weight.

I'm the same as you, Papito. I'm fortunate that I maintain
    muscle pretty well, even though I don't exercise as consistently
    as I should.

ya but my goal is to gain muscle mass and look built. not huge but with a good amount of muscle

I think heavy weights with less reps build bigger muscles then higher reps with less. I could be wrong though.

Back when. It was if you could do 15 reps you added 10%. Form is very important. Do the movements slowly. The slower the better. In both the contraction and extension. You will actually get more bulk from the slow extension.
    Usually to build bulk you work a muscle group every other day. That gives it time to regrow.
    Diet is also important. If you eat cheeseburgers and fry's you are wasting your time.