Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, so I don't like spiders and snakes...

Unhappy Ok, so I don't like spiders and snakes...

Snakes are the worst! Today I was clipping large weeds and raking around an irrigation pivot well. One of the guys told me to hold very still because a snake was coming towards me. I froze but tried to see where the snake was in all the wheat straw laying around. I finally spotted him when he was going down into a hole. I'd just finished clipping weeds against the ground in that area and raking tall weeds out so they could be mowed and chopped up. (I didn't climb the well tower, but I thought about it.) I headed for the pickup since I was done anyway and noticed there were quite a few holes around that looked like the one he'd gone into. Within a couple minutes, he came right back out! Luckily I had a shovel in the pickup. Rattlesnakes can't be mistaken with their fierce rattles being shaken. I'm hearing lots of people in the area killing rattlesnakes this year! They are so poisonous. It freaks me out to think he could have easily struck me. I didn't have boots on, and my hands were close to the ground cutting off weeds right over that hole! I rode to town with my feet up on top of the pickup dash and still have king size goosebumps. Man, how I hate those things! I think I best have on boots when I turn the pivot sprinkler on in the middle of the night. That was just enough to ruin my day, but I did get to see 3 antelope at the edge of the field watching the commotion.

There is nothing I fear more than snakes. I can't even look at them in photos or on TV. I flip out.

That is another good thing about living in western Oregon. We do not have poisonous snakes here. At all.

Glad you did not get bit.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

We have several kinds of snakes around here, but the only really bad ones are the rattlesnakes. I'm hearing now that there is a den of them about 3 miles to the west. I hear about crazy fools that hunt rattlers for their skins, etc... they're nuts. They just scare me to death. I imagine our local hospital has anti-venom. I should call and make sure they have some available in case someone does get bitten. uck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    We have several kinds of snakes around here, but the only really bad ones are the rattlesnakes. I'm hearing now that there is a den of them about 3 miles to the west. I hear about crazy fools that hunt rattlers for their skins, etc... they're nuts. They just scare me to death. I imagine our local hospital has anti-venom. I should call and make sure they have some available in case someone does get bitten. uck!!!

Almost all snakes, especially rattlesnakes, will flee if you give them a chance. They only coil and rattle if you surprise them or approach them too fast.

I would think you would like the snakes. They are free and eat a lot of rats and field mice. They have the holes to escape the heat and they have the irrigation for water. The wheat and irrigation provides a perfect setting for raising mice. I would just let nature do her thing.

P.S. I am not a nut and give wide berth to all the poisonous snakes in our area... and we have many. We do have rattlesnake roundups here but they are captured and not killed. They are donated to colleges and hospitals for "miking" to manufacture anti-venom. (How would you like to milk a rattlesnake?)

Good luck with your "friends".
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I went to reptile gardens on vacation and watched a snake show. I thought I was done with the snake thing for the summer. I don't think anyone around here does milking for anti-venom, I think they just sell the skins for hatbands and send them in for taxidermy. They have their place in nature and of course the wheat field and water is perfect for their habitat. I guess I'm just too much of a "fraidy cat" ! I'd seen one eariler in the season to the east, down in a low wet draw area. This guy probably wouldn't have been killed except for the fact that he was making a home right at the electrical box of the well. Too many people work right at that well site so I was afraid someone would end up bitten if a den developed right there. I'm petrified of those guys!

OOh Grammy. Sounds scary. The only time I see snakes around here are small garter snakes at the lake, and even been quite a while since I've seen them.
    Our cousins about 100 miles away must have a nest because they are all over. Their 3 little boys sell them for $1 each to a place that supplies snakes for science projects are schools.
    I hate messing with nature though, and snakes do have their place in the chain.
    Glad your encounter had a happy ending.

"a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Snakes and spiders create some innate fear in me too, along with just generally making me feel like I would do anything I could to avoid running into them. I live in an urban environment, so I would pretty much have to hunt for a snake, but spiders seem to exist anywhere, and often my first notice of one having gotten inside is the cats staring at the wall in rapt attention. For them it is entertainment, for me it has a very high "yuck" factor.

Ya, I hear ya. I'm way overloaded when I encounter spiders and snakes!

Spiders don't bother me unless they are those big barn spiders with a body about as big as a nickel. One bit me on the finger once and it was like a bee sting.
    I would NOT like to see a rattlesnake!