Thread: Recent T5/T6 SCI

Smile Recent T5/T6 SCI

hello..my name is Joshua..im 31 years old and i have a T5/T6 spinal cord injury..complete..i was out hiking one evening..ended up on my back..with some broken ribs as well..one of the oddest things that happened during that time was..i felt no pain..i laid on my back..waiting for the paramedics..and made a phone call..i live in new mexico and am currently at a rehab hospital in Albuquerque..im wanting to find out as much information as i can about my injury..and any experiences from others about their injury to help me with mine..i have very good OT and PT therapists and am lucky to have had them give me the skills that will assist me with the rest of my life..i am also grateful to have found a resource with many others like me who will share experiences and knowledge..thank you..

Welcome, Joshua. As we always say, so sorry you had to find us, but glad you did.

There are a lot of people here who have gone this path before you. Please don't hesitate to ask questions. We can help. Also, take the time to read some of the articles by Dr. Young (find links on the home page). Join in, get active in these forums, and come back often.

(KLD)

Welcome Joshua,
    I got injured at 28 in 1979, complete T-8, I hope my 32 years of living with this difficult condition can be of value to you. If you enjoy being active I hope you develop an interest in handcycling, a lot of fun, good exercise, and great for your spirit.

Welcome to the forums, T-4 complete injury here over 30 years ago. You can still live a good life even though it may not seem that way to you now. It takes a lot of time and patience to adjust, but you will do it. Any question you have, fire away. Hang in there, first year is real tough, I do remember that from 1981, worst year of my life.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Welcome to the forum, and best wishes on your rehab!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by eliasnelisa View Post
    hello..my name is Joshua..im 31 years old and i have a T5/T6 spinal cord injury..complete..i was out hiking one evening..ended up on my back..with some broken ribs as well..one of the oddest things that happened during that time was..i felt no pain..i laid on my back..waiting for the paramedics..and made a phone call..i live in new mexico and am currently at a rehab hospital in Albuquerque..im wanting to find out as much information as i can about my injury..and any experiences from others about their injury to help me with mine..i have very good OT and PT therapists and am lucky to have had them give me the skills that will assist me with the rest of my life..i am also grateful to have found a resource with many others like me who will share experiences and knowledge..thank you..
    Welcome to Care Cure community. So sorry to read about your injury. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Sounds like your in good hands. Are you by chance a fellow Veteran if so there is a Veterans Forum here on this site. Be sure to join and also there's a spot where you can list all your military data. Be sure to sign up with your states department of Vocational Rehabilitation. Mine here in Florida has been very helpful to me and spent a lot of money on me for education, transportation and converting my van to a lowered floor mini van.
    Take Care,
    RAFS

Welcome Joshua, you have come to a great site for lots of information, to be able to ask anything you want and you will get lots of answers. SCI-Nurse is always quick to answer questions when she can and there are lots of us that have experienced most of the things you will need to know.
    I have been riding a chair now for six years after a motorcycle accident July 29, 2005 (T5 complete). Ended my flying career in a couple of seconds and sent me on a path to do different things.
    Take Care
    Geoffrey

You need to contact Shelley Unser at cufsf.org. She knows the ins and outs of Albuquerque, her daughter Cody is SCI'd from transverse myelitis.

Unfortunately I think she may tell you to go elsewhere for treatment, I think Cody still goes to Johns Hopkins.

But you have to work w/ what you have, and ABQ ain't that bad. You could be in one of those little ghost towns west of Tucumcari LOL, your rehab would really suck there!

All the same stuff-watch your urine, watch your skin, do pressure reliefs, work hard in rehab. It irritates me when ppl are told their injury is complete so early in the game, it takes up to 2 years of hard-ass work to know what your true outlook will be.

welcome im t8 and just quick basic things to let you know! plastic cushion shower chair and on the toilet seat rise you can glue pads on top when using the toilet. when i first got out of rehab they gave me a shower chair, toilet seat without cushion and i had the mentality of moving around rough not thinking i was not getting hurt cause i could not feel but end up with a pressure sore that took a month to heal. ebay has showerchair padded for 100 freeshipping. also you will have leakage and oxybutinin is a pill that works in helping one from peeing on themselves. good to have plastic on your bed as well hand rail so you can reach and grab to turn from side to side. well i have more info but those are the ones I had issue with when i first left rehab. suppostory their is one call magic bullet that work great when on the toilet, cost bout $60 for 100 of em. need more info let me know and i can only give you what i been through from expirence and as well there are many here who can help as well! God bless ya!
    Sammy
    life begins when you walk in spirit myspace.com/princeofpeace_luv