Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: THE TIME HAS COME!

Larwatson, Vgraf thank you.

Onward and Upward!

The time has come!

Chastev, Carl R. and others

I agree and that is why I suggest that you call or fax Dr. Goldsmith with your questions and concerns. Be honest and upfront. Then please post what you find out. I believe the forum could be enhanced by some originality instead of constant misinformation and opinion.

Trying to help.

Arnie Fonseca
    602-390-9144

'' go to the source''

Arnie , when i asked you about Dr. Goldsmith you delivered a little homily about going to the source . you keep on pushing for people to ring or fax the good doctor and then to post what they find out ! how about if Dr. Goldsmith goes directly to the source and posts on here ? why is Dr. Goldsmith so reluctant to post on here ? not being ''net savvy'' won't wash ! i am a complete computer idiot [when i got this pile of thingamegigs late last year the technician who installed it had to show me how to turn it on] and i can do enough to follow this forum . i don't know if i am ''neurologically challenged'' [i hate being made conform to political correctness] but as someone who is crippled from sci this is an easier medium to use than having to juggle a phone and pen and paper! i would hope the man who is clever enough to deliver us from ''sci hell'' would have enough brains to find his way round this relatively simple site . don't bother with giving me the ''god bless'' bit , i want medical guidance not spirital intervention !
    thank you . Dogger

[This message was edited by dogger on Aug 06, 2002 at 10:00 PM.]

Interesting reading on this thread. I vaguely remember this whole thing from years ago at Boston University I believe. But if this seriously did work on completely transected cats (and I've seen transected cats walk on moving treadmills and then fall over when the thing stopped)why not raise the money for a small trial yourself, Arnie? In the US it would take the approval of an IRB for the surgery to be done in a hospital here but with animal safety background this should be a reasonable request. As far as raising funds, the CRPF funds their own consortium laboratories. And the mans' name is REEVE! But there are other sources of funds and of course you can always do fundraisers in conjunction with local service clubs.

Do we have any forum members who have complete transections due to gun shot wounds or knifings? Would you volunteer for this and why or why not?

The time has come!

Actually Sue the original post on this thread was presented by Dr. Harry Goldsmith. Your knowledge of the SCI research process sounds great. Also I believe Mr. Reeve has sought out knowlege of Omentum Transposition performed by Dr. Goldsmith. He even requested that a young lady from Germany, whose name is Andrea Zobel write him on her experience with this procedure. Andrea personally wrote two, four page letters to Mr. Reeve, the first was lost, she was told. She has yet to hear a response back from Mr. Reeve. This was in 1998. Maybe Dr. Young can shed some light on this situation. Or possibly you could contact Dr. Goldsmith with your thoughtful suggestions.

Thanks

Arnie Fonseca

Not taking sides here, but....

Sue, is this what you are reffering to? As this is new to me, I find this thread very interesting. I wonder if these two doctors were guilty of not following procedueres established by Dr. Goldsmith. If not, does anyone know what "procedures established in the research protocols" they are refferring to?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: CONTACT FOR COMMENTS:
    April 11,2001 Nancy Achin Sullivan
    Executive Director
    617-727-3086

STATE BOARD OF MEDICINE TAKES DISCIPLINARY ACTION

BOSTON-The state Board of Registration in Medicine took disciplinary action yesterday on the licenses of two physicians: Dr. Edward L. Spatz and Dr. Joe I. Ordia.

The Board voted to approve Consent Orders with both Dr. Edward L. Spatz and Dr. Joe I. Ordia. The Board found that Dr. Spatz and Dr. Ordia, both board certified neurosurgeons, engaged in misconduct in the practice of medicine, in their roles as principal investigators for experimental omental transposition surgery performed at Boston University Medical Center between 1992 and 1993, and
    for their failure to follow the procedure established in the research protocols. Omental transposition surgery was designed to move part of the omentum, a large apron of specialized tissue, to repair damaged spinal cords. The costly, experimental operations had no documented benefit for patients and little or no scientifically useful information was obtained. In addition, the Board found that there was no appropriate follow-up of the urgical patients.

The Board fined Dr. Spatz and Dr. Ordia $10,000.00 each for this conduct. Both physicians are also required to perform fifty (50) hours of community service within one year, and complete twenty (20) hours of continuing medical educational credits in the area of clinical research and informed consent ( in addition to that which is required for renewal of their medical license). Dr. Spatz is a 1951 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and maintains privileges at Boston University Medical Center and the Boston VA Hospital. Dr. Spatz also maintains a private practice in neurosurgery in Boston, Massachusetts. Dr, Ordia is a graduate of the University of Ibadan Medical School, and maintains privleges at Malden Hospital, Boston University Medical Center and the Boston VA Hospital. Dr. Ordia is also licensed to practice medicine in the states of California, New York and the District of Columbia.

The Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine licenses more than 30,000 physicians, osteopaths and accupuncturists. The Board was created to protect the public health and safety by setting standards for the practice of medicine and ensuring that doctors who practice in the Commonwealth are appropriately qualified and competent. The Board investigates complaints, holds hearings, and determines sanctions.

This answers my questions. www.medicalaw.net/new_page_6.htm

Scroll down to bottom of the page.

I believe the woman involved

in the Boston case who was posing as a therapist for the rehab fees was Barbara Devine as I remember. Seems like kind of conflicting stories though, one article stated the Operation did nothing and the other one states that the patiants saw improvements.

As I stated before, I am still hopeful that maybe Omentum Transposition can be combined with OEG's and create regeneration. I think combination therapies will be the key.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Let's have this thread go the way of the dinosaurs, shall we? Meeker, Arnie, thanks but no thanks. No credibility, no sale. Bigger fish to fry.

vgrafen

I agree with Vgafen. Hey Meeker and Arnie did you ever think about starting the Dr. Goldsmith fan club. Your off to a good start!