Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Frog Legs have Caster Flutter

My Frog Legs have Caster Flutter

I bought these casters earlier this year and they were great up until 2 months ago. They started fluttering and a tech was able to tighten them to correct it. But now they flutter even thought the bolt if tight. They aren't loose and roll straight. I've paid over $200 to have them tightened in the past 2 months and its starting to piss me off. I could have just bought a new pair.

What could be wrong? Can I do anything?
    Never Give Up!

To reduce flutter, the fork-stem nut needs to be snug.

Attachment 41772

I have 6” aluminum-hub (aka heavy) casters on my chair. Their weight makes them prone to flutter. I keep my forks very tight (just loose enough so they can still swivel when I turn). Keeping the forks quite snug really helps reduce caster flutter. Use lock tight, or a new nylon-insert lock nut to keep the forks tight.

(Tightening the axle has no effect on flutter. If correct internal and external spacers are in place on your axles, your axles should be wrench tight.)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thank you very much!!
    How hard is it to tighten if I do it?

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    To reduce flutter, the fork-stem nut needs to be snug.

Attachment 41772

I have 6” aluminum-hub (aka heavy) casters on my chair. Their weight makes them prone to flutter. I keep my forks very tight (just loose enough so they can still swivel when I turn). Keeping the forks quite snug really helps reduce caster flutter. Use lock tight, or a new nylon-insert lock nut to keep the forks tight.

(Tightening the axle has no effect on flutter. If correct internal and external spacers are in place on your axles, your axles should be wrench tight.)
    Never Give Up!

Got a socket wrench?

You may have to remove the caster to fit the wrench, just watch out for Murphy and his law.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    Thank you very much!!
    How hard is it to tighten if I do it?
    You're welcome. Like Stephen says, not hard at all once you get to them. I can get at mine without taking out the casters with a standard open-end/closed-end wrench. Of course, if you remove the nut to apply lock tight or install a new nut, that's when Murphy may take action.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Got a socket wrench?

You may have to remove the caster to fit the wrench, just watch out for Murphy and his law.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

These are Froglegs replacement caster wheels installed into Froglegs suspension forks on a Quickie GT, correct?

If so, I'm sorry to say you don't have a bolt in the location indicated by the well meaning gentlemen, earlier.

There are a few places you need to check:

Parts # 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 (re: flutter specifically the spacers shown at the bottom on either side of the caster wheel) all work together to keep the caster fork and wheel stable and aligned properly. If it's not stable (something is loose) or not aligned properly caster flutter will be noticeably worse.

Part #11 plays the same role as the bolt you've already been directed to, though it requires unhinging the Froglegs to access. It threads into something loose (9) , which has a set screw in the top (8) and side (10) which also may need a tweak from your wrench.

You indicated in your previous post there was some movement in the wheel itself, which you had never noticed before the new wheels. Is that still presenting itself? If so, can you elaborate on which direction the wheel is wiggling and try to relate that to a location in the diagram above?

It's unlikely, but the internal bearings may be a problem, too. Checking them out and/or heavier duty or new ones from Froglegs are still recommended, per the previous recommendation. I'd call them.

(Fwiw, even when torqued properly and aligned perfectly my GT Froglegs flutter when I bomb down ramps without rolling a wheelie, or anytime I let gravity get me going down hill at a decent clip...which here in Tidewater is pretty much restricted to ramps...no hills!)

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

My FL's Flutter Too...

But so did the original casters on my XTR...

I can often stop the flutter by leaning over the front end. This does 2 things and I'm not yet sure which is more important: 1) puts more weight on my 6"x1.5" soft rolls, which inceases their footprint, 2) changes the caster angle as the rear suspension unloads and the FL bumpers compress.

FWIW. Food for thought. I've got some tests in mind when I build my new chair...

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    If so, I'm sorry to say you don't have a bolt in the location indicated by the well meaning gentlemen, earlier.
    oops. Sorry. I didn't know what I didn't know. Thanks for the education!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    oops. Sorry. I didn't know what I didn't know. Thanks for the education!
    No worries, of course, I simply had prior info as to the type of chair in question!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    I bought these casters earlier this year and they were great up until 2 months ago. They started fluttering and a tech was able to tighten them to correct it. But now they flutter even thought the bolt if tight. They aren't loose and roll straight. I've paid over $200 to have them tightened in the past 2 months and its starting to piss me off. I could have just bought a new pair.

What could be wrong? Can I do anything?
    If you`ve got a quickie, forget it, you will have flutter always, quickie dosen`t have any sistem to tight the forks.

So go slower