Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the site....

Hi Horse girl,

So sorry re. your accident - great that you found this site - many many people here who will be able to help you with the questions you might have. Take it easy....but take it.

Welcome to the site. Like everyone else said we're glad you found us but sorry you had to. I used to ride horses, back when I was a teenager, I even team penned It was a blast, one of my most favorite times of my life. Just recently I went on the spinal cord injury retreat up by Payson Arizona and one of the first things I did there was get on the horse. There was a special saddle and people the help, but it was great. Here's a picture of it:

And here's a little video of when I was younger working with the Cattle:
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Continue with your horses....They do make adaptive saddles.

I realized after years that I gave up something I didn't have to although I could not function at my prior level. Nothing beats the love of a horse and meeting him/her at the fence. We got horses 10 years after my accident when my daughter wanted to ride.

Welcome to Carecure and good luck in your therapy. (((hugs)))

This is also a good read and its true:

http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Love-St...4363611&sr=1-8

Its about a quadriplegic horse trainer on the Wind River reservation (I think). A beautiful story.

Don't give up your dreams.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Aw, what a beautiful video. I usually don't have the attention span to watch those things all the way through, but I didn't miss a second of yours.

Life is not over for you. Horses are not over. A fun life is not over. Relationships are not over. There are so many things ahead for you, so many joyful things.

Keep your eyes on what you WANT to do, where you WANT to be. Let the desire drive you to find ways to make it happen.

Lovely young person, I wish you every good thing.

Welcome.

It is extremely difficult to face life in a wc after being so active but it can get easier.

You really need to check n2 adaptive horse riding and get back on! There are other adaptive sports to give you a thrill again.

i want say welcome

and while everyone recommending is adaptive tack my advice is see if you NEED it t10-11 you shouldnt

im cerebral palsy hemp(i have quad limbs on my right and abled bodied limbs on left according to pts)

i was pigeon holed into you riding for disabled world
    i wanted to take my paradressage to the next level(having fun in grass arena at home to shows) so went and got classified and was told I would HAVE to use a safety bar on my saddle
    ]tried it once hated it asked for it to removed from my aids list was told NO WAY

I was had a choice submit and use stuff i dont need or change the goal(to ride normal dressage without adaptive tack) or give up

i chose to change the goal(to ride normal dressage without adaptive tack) i found a wonderful physio(a friend) and riding instructor (at a stables i found out of phone book) and we have gone from people telling me i cant use standard reins to walking,trotting off the lunge line with standard reins in 3 lessons we start working cantering on monday

when i can canter off the lunge line we will transition from enclosed stirrups to normal stirrups(i decided to wait)

after i finished my rehab lessons i will start standard lessons
    the reason i told you my story is to give you hope

1 thing i recommend is mid central control power chair if are wanting you to be independent in catching/leading your horse/s makes life so much easier

Welcome PHG,

I used to date a girl that rode quarter horses and she used to show in Western Pleasure. I sure miss riding on weekends.

All the best.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

riding

there is a girl in utah 19 a para compteing rodeo amber snyder saw a you tube on her

wheelinhorseman c6c7 riding daly
    i went riding in utah lea shes a para rides

Wellcome para horse girl, I cried when I watched the video. Not pity for you, but you have a remarkable story you have shared and have showed such strenght with that beautiful smile.

You remind me of my grandaughters they had horses and rode in competions, then swithched to showing lambs and have a big herd of cattle. We just had our county fair and they had so much fun and won quite a few trophies. They still love the horses, and you are a wonderful example of how your animals are such a part of your life.

There is a wonderful support staff here at ccc and many young people here also. I can understand how seconds changed your life it did mine also now 10 months ago. Car accident also my son in law was driving so we had some guilt to get over. My grandchildren give me the courage to keep trying and it has been the hardest thing I have ever done.

Best to you, I believe there may be a miracle someday especially since your injury is new. Don't give up....
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often