Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the site....

Post New to the site....

on September 19th, 2010 i was in a car accident, i lost control of my chevy s10. It slide off the road and flipped hitting a tree, my side was crushed my passenger only had a few scratches. I on the other hand was trapped, they had to use the jaws of life to get me out. then i was loaded in an ambulance to ride over to life flight where I was taken to Legacy Emanuel Hospital. There I was put through many tests, they found out I had broken many ribs, my scapula's, and my back, paralyzing me at the T10-T11. I then went through a 10 hour surgery to fix my back, and a week from then they had to use some of my rib as well as other things it lasted 8 hours. I spent 64 days in the hospital.

This has been hard on me going from an active horse person to someone in a wheelchair.

here is a link to a video with pics of before and after
    http://youtu.be/JSwC3HR3NXo

Sorry to hear Para Horse. YOu can still be an active horse person. Especially a T10-11.

It's a hard time for you right now. I guarantee, if you work hard and carry on with the cowgirl attitude, it will get much much better. NOw is the time to get as strong as you can. Riding the horse would really be beneificial in making your lower core even that much stronger.

Take Care, we all went thru what you are going thru now, so there are forums for women only that can help you also.

Hello fellow Oregonian. Glad you found this site, but sad about your new life. Looks like you have a great support group. Welcome.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Hi Para Horse,
    On March 20th 1994 I was driving my S10 truck and flipped it. Ejected me from the vehicle and broke my back. I too am paralyzed at T-10/11. Crazy how we were driving the same thing and had the same injury only 17 years later. PM me if you need any support or tips? There is lots of information on here.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Best wishes to you, Para-Horse-Girl, and welcome to the forum.

Welcome to Carecure. As you can see you have a lot of support here- and you can still be very active and have a great life!!!!!
    CWO

beautiful video...beautiful girl... looks like you have jumped back into life..as I did at 18 when my accident occurred..just keep moving forward..school, love, work, marriage, family, whatever and where ever life takes you..your video made me cry ..that song was made for you.

Thanks for sharing that..Deb
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Oh, Rachel, I am so sorry. You are so young. We are here for you to help you through this transition in your life. You still have a lot of life to live! You are welcome to PM me, also.
    Incomplete T-12/L-1

Hello "Para-Horse-Girl,"
    to the Care Cure Community.

All the best,
    GJ

Welcome Para-Horse, and HUGs!

Where do I begin? These words are not from me per se, but rather what you already know.

Having a relationship with horsemanship is absolutely an incredible gift, and continue unwrapping and develop how this language proceeds on with your progress. Firstly a horse also understands and mourns your loss, specially when s/he sees your approach and stops, and questions why both of you are no longer joined in a trot. Believe and trust as you always had prior to your injury, nothing will ever severe that relationship, not even paralysis.

Consider this path...search for equine-therapy, and observe their program. Consider a trial session. Experiencing several sessions will indicate so many answers, and remember with your knowledge you are contributing to your therapist's practice. They will learn from, its both ways. Furthermore movement from a horse's gait is very similar to humans. As you open up in comfort and ease, stimulating parasympatheic nerves will incrementally improved your proprioception, regaining your body awareness.

Para-Horse, I welcome further dialogue between you, me, and this forum community has to offer. Associate all information shared, and ownership of decision(s) will serve your intentions. HUGs!