Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TiLite front castor question

The fork stem (the bolt, titanium or otherwise) is what's screwed into the frame (i.e., caster barrel), so it's not something that's visible with the fork attached.

As for the nuts used to attach the casters, I think TiLite uses a caster cap (essentially a fancy washer) under the axle screw, which may give it a more elegant look.

Unlike Frog Legs, TiLite doesn't offer an array of color anodized aluminum hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    The fork stem (the bolt, titanium or otherwise) is what's screwed into the frame (i.e., caster barrel), so it's not something that's visible with the fork attached.

As for the nuts used to attach the casters, I think TiLite uses a caster cap (essentially a fancy washer) under the axle screw, which may give it a more elegant look.

Unlike Frog Legs, TiLite doesn't offer an array of color anodized aluminum hubs.
    Ah, wrong bolt then, I was talking about the axle bolt I guess. I don't have a problem with frog legs, was just making a comment that the tilite setup looks sturdier. As to anodized colors, my chair is just black and satin titanium. I don't have a cool burnt orange package like you fancy new york folks

Geometry Question...

I'll try to make this short, so if it doesn't make sense, let me know...

On a caster, the plane through the middle of the wheel must intersect and be parallel with the axis of the caster pivot.

So if you switch from a 1" wide to a 1.5" wide tire, you'd have to offset the wheel accordingly on the axle.

This would mean moving the middle of the 1.5" tire 1/4" closer to the unitine.

Is there enough room, or would the tire rub the fork?

(Note, this would only help eliminate a little "scrubbing" wear, because the tire would be dragging a little sideways, and reduce rolling friction some. Doubt that flutter would be increased?)
    Last edited by a la carte; 08-25-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Bump. Does anyone know if frog legs or tilite plan on making 5x1.25 front casters for the stock TiLite forks? Or should I just give up and buy new forks?

Im in the same boat here. I want to ditch these pizza cutters on the this rig. I find its always catching in small cracks, and think would benefit from a wider caster.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Bump. Does anyone know if frog legs or tilite plan on making 5x1.25 front casters for the stock TiLite forks? Or should I just give up and buy new forks?
    Call FL and ask.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    They are really nice if you roll indoors or on nicely paved surfaces. I just like the wider soft-rolls for urban wheeling. Another thing, they are super well made, I am looking at the frog legs unitines on my old chair and they look cheap and flimsy compared to the tilite forks and wheels.
    How do the wider wheels work on carpet, do they sink in or no? I have the one inch and these work ok, but like others have mentioned when you hit a crack, sometimes it can stop you in your tracks.

Hey Chas, can you confirm the bearing is an R8 and not an R6. I found this on the tilite site, thanks.
    http://estore.tilite.com/ecommerce/C...=985&IID=17848
    I'm running the narrow casters now and I haven't noticed much difference so far really

Quote Originally Posted by julian_wheels View Post
    Hey Chas, can you confirm the bearing is an R8 and not an R6. I found this on the tilite site, thanks.
    http://estore.tilite.com/ecommerce/C...=985&IID=17848
    Nope! From what I can tell from TiLite's eStore, my own AeroZ1 with stock (2-sided) forks and Billet Aluminum-Hub casters (3-spoke), and my years of roller skating, the standard caster bearing (like mine) is the ubiquitous 608 (which is also very common in roller skates and skateboards). TiLite started using the R6 bearing when they introduced their Performance Caster (coincident with introducing their Slip-Stream fork).

The R8's are commonly used in wheelchair forks and rear-wheels:
    Attachment 43753Attachment 43754

axle diameters:
    608 = 8mm ~5/16"
    R6 = 3/8"
    R8 = 1/2"
    Last edited by chasmengr; 02-07-2012 at 01:52 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Oh I'm sorry you were talking about in the fork and rear wheels not the caster its self. My bad. Good to know though