Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TiLite front castor question

TiLite front castor question

I have a zra series 2, with the "Tilte Slipstream single sided fork with titanium fork stem" and the "5 x 1 inch 5 spoke 2 piece billet aluminum wheel w/ soft roll tire". My old chair had the 5 x 1.5 inch soft roll wheels and I liked the wider front wheels, my question is: Is there a 1.5 inch soft roll wheel I can just swap out the 1 inch wheels for without buying a new fork? I like the slipstream fork and titanium fork stem, just want a wider front wheel.

Man, this is a super common request. You'd think TiLite woulda found a way to make it easily possible. Unless you enjoy access to a machine shop to custom make new axles, (someone here did this, the threads here somewhere), you need to swap the fork out, unfortunately. Either Tilite's OEM double sided - not what you prefer - or the Unitine from Froglegs. The stems don't need to go with changing the forks, do they?!?

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Man, this is a super common request. You'd think TiLite woulda found a way to make it easily possible. Unless you enjoy access to a machine shop to custom make new axles, (someone here did this, the threads here somewhere), you need to swap the fork out, unfortunately. Either Tilite's OEM double sided - not what you prefer - or the Unitine from Froglegs. The stems don't need to go with changing the forks, do they?!?
    I don't have access to a machine shop, really just wanted to buy castors that were a little wider and not change anything else. Bummer, what a waste. I guess I will just buy a set of unitines.

I am getting single sided casters . how do you like them? or should I shell out the money on frog legs?

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    I am getting single sided casters . how do you like them? or should I shell out the money on frog legs?
    They are really nice if you roll indoors or on nicely paved surfaces. I just like the wider soft-rolls for urban wheeling. Another thing, they are super well made, I am looking at the frog legs unitines on my old chair and they look cheap and flimsy compared to the tilite forks and wheels.

I am out side alot! so maybe I should go froglegs.

t8, TiLite Performance casters (on your ZRA2) use a different bearing (R8) than frog legs casters (608). One trick is to buy FL plastic-hub casters, and force the R8s into the plastic hubs. (R8s will NOT fit into aluminum hubs made for 608s without machining them.) I haven't done it, but heard about it. You'd also need to ensure the internal spacer is the correct length.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

BRASWELLF5 (Pete) is the one who machined replacement caster axles for the TiLite Slipstreams.

Tom, You really think the Unitines look cheap and flimsy? Can't say I share that opinion. I've been extremely pleased with the sets I've purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Tom, You really think the Unitines look cheap and flimsy? Can't say I share that opinion. I've been extremely pleased with the sets I've purchased.
    I am with Stephen on the Unitines. I have had them on my 2 chairs (Q7, ZRA) for almost 2 years now and love them. No problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    BRASWELLF5 (Pete) is the one who machined replacement caster axles for the TiLite Slipstreams.

Side by side compared to my tilite forks with the titanium fork stem, yeah the frog legs look cheap, especially the nuts used to hold the castor in. I rolled on unitines for over a year and had no problems, just the hardware on the tilite looks more rugged.