Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GoShichi wheelchair accessible SUV unveiled at Houston Abilities Expo

GoShichi wheelchair accessible SUV unveiled at Houston Abilities Expo

GoShichi unveils the first wheelchair accessible SUV. The Suburban can accommodate a wheelchair user in either the driver or passenger side with seating for up to 7 additional passengers. Here are some pics, but go to the Expo this weekend to see it up close.

Very nice!

It's been asked elsewhere but perhaps you missed it, how much weight does the conversion add to a vehicle?

The weight of a couple of fatties. Not bad.

How much space is there for a wheelchair on drivers side?

So you transfer from you chair into the seat but then do you break down your chair and place it in the back? I dont get the advantage.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

No the seat rolls out just like a van.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Quote Originally Posted by imkitch View Post
    About 650 lbs.
    Your going to to kill me but I have explored making the platform out of aluminum to save weight. It would bolt on to the back steel section of the original platform. I only use a manual chair. Plus I could taper it down a little to help backing onto it. We have the aluminum but not sure how much weight I can save, plus I am sick of (supervising) working on crap.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Quote Originally Posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
    Your going to to kill me but I have explored making the platform out of aluminum to save weight. It would bolt on to the back steel section of the original platform. I only use a manual chair. Plus I could taper it down a little to help backing onto it. We have the aluminum but not sure how much weight I can save, plus I am sick of (supervising) working on crap.
    Seems like you've done a lot of work and made lots of mods since you got the truck. Are you overall pleased? It just seems to me if I'm going to spend that much money on something, it better be ready to roll as is. I do understand that options for pickups/SUVs are few but it appears to be it appears to be severely limited to the type of chair that will fit.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

DeadeEye please understand that my next comments are not pointed specificly at you, your question was very reasonable. The impression I get is that Braswellf5 is one of those guys who will customize ANYTHING.

Having said that.....

People taking shots at this design are starting to annoy me. I have never seen such a challenging vehicle to adapt done so well and anyone who says different needs to point out who's doing it or knock it off.

Goshichi has one competitor. Unfortunately I don't call a 4wd truck that has 4-5 inches of ground clearance in the middle of the truck (after a huge lift) a successful adaptation, their new offering is better as long as you can plan on having two parking spots available every time you get in and out but I can't afford a home with a 4 car garage for a 3 car family.

We all aught to be happy as hell that someone is FINALLY getting serious about doing more than cherry picking the absolute easiest vehicles to adapt and then telling us that's as good as it gets.

If you see a glaring fault in the trucks. Make the design improvements, build a better truck, get rich, and provide us all with perfection. Otherwise evaluate the vehicles usefulness to you for yourself and buy it or not. Posting negativity about somthing that is a massive step in the right direction is sabataging us all.

There are only two reasons that one of these is not already in my driveway.

1 - I have an insurance company that seems to think that their last/best chance of avoiding paying for big ticket items is to just not return my calls.

2 - The HD trucks are not yet available in Canada and that is what my lifestyle requires.
    (re: this second reason, imkitch will the 3500HD come available here at the same time the 2500hd does since they are essentially the same truck with different springs?)

Looking good
    John-B