Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: video of me walking in paralell bars/ kafo braces

Keep working in the parallel bars. Practice, practice. Also, try just standing up straight in the bars. Just bearing your own weight it excellent for your body. You may get to the point where you have enough balance control to stand using just one hand for support. It's hard to tell from the video what muscles you are using but you are doing great.

My son is an L1 and he started in the parallel bars with KAFOs. From there he went to using a walker (with a wheelchair follow in case he fell). He eventually worked his way up to loftstrand crutches.

Another good thing to try is walking in a swimming pool. We had to use ankle weights because his feet floated. He also work an aquajogger to keep him upright and used a boogie board to balance himself as he walked. It was a very long process but he was able to use less equipment as he improved. Now he doesn't need any in the pool.

Best wishes.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Suggestion ... install a full length mirror on the wall so you have full view from head to toe. Seeing yourself move is important because you can make mental notes, then begin relating to what you'd like to improve upon. Movement for walking is all coordinated within your psoas muscles (google for video reference). Hundreds of pelvic lifts while you are laying on your back (if you are able to bend both knees and knees apart no wider than your hips). No need to lift them high, just enough for you to sense your lower back is helping your buttocks lift. (Ask someone to hold your ankles in place, if there's weakness)

Focus on your hips, not your feet. Imagine two headlights mounted on each hip, as you look at the mirror, focus your vision to the mirror looking at your hips, and try keeping the headlights straight ahead, not going side to side. Its not about covering distance either, each step with focus, effort and intention are generating muscle memory. Start slow, most important addition is "breathing" do not hold your breath when trying so hard. Holding your breath is contracting, and tightens muscle.

Let me know how this works for you...I am 15 years post C5&6 incomplete quad. My progress is in the process, and little by little I'm able to work through paralysis. I can walk assisted with crutches. The more experiment the more you'll discover, my suggestion is just another example when working with parallel bars and mirrors. Seeing yourself makes a huge difference alongside someone else telling you what to do. Furthermore keep a video log and study how you move. Suggesting you video tape yourself every 3 months. I applaud you for reaching-out and your determined energy.

Keep in touch...Liz

Smile

Hi pbryant22 keep up your determination

As Liz stated also I love the way of using mirror's

Martial Arts concept my friend Brian a Teacher in many styles of manipulation & defense told me Long ago after I was injured .

It is not how fast a person can go that counts ,but it is how precise the energy applied is used .

You are doing great ... Be Safe and I wish you the best .

Sincerely ;
    GL

update on brace walking

http://youtu.be/ki_XZPgB03A

here is me after 1 month in para bars, kafo's. working on it!

Wow just saw your video, looks like you have leg braces.
    may i ask you a question. I'm a T11 complete and will be fitted with leg braces for the first time at the end of this month, it is my dream to become a household walker not using the chair to get around would be wonderful so. What is your injury level, can you get around with leg braces in your house are they tiring to use. BTW good effort keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    Wow just saw your video, looks like you have leg braces.
    may i ask you a question. I'm a T11 complete and will be fitted with leg braces for the first time at the end of this month, it is my dream to become a household walker not using the chair to get around would be wonderful so. What is your injury level, can you get around with leg braces in your house are they tiring to use. BTW good effort keep it up.
    I am a T10, I got the braces a month ago. Its been alot of work but my plan is to go from bars to walker, cruthes, etc... for around the house. The most important thing I have learned is TRUNK! Being a T11 do you have any abs, back musles? that is where you start when I first got the braces I couldnt let go of the bars to save my life. now I am trying the one grip , letting go with both arms. Its nothing but my trunk that holds me. I can feel so much difference in my lower back and abs. Also sitting straight in the chair helps the trunk. I am getting in the bars twice a day right now. I have been able to use the walker outside of the bars, but I need alot more balance work to do. The most important thing is balance in my opinion. I am getting fitted for new KAFO's next week. the ones I have I bought used that were made for someone else. My doctor wouldnt write script for me for braces, I told him that whether he did or not wasnt stopping me. My goal is to get out of wheel chair with braces. If things change with muscles maybe be able to go to AFO's. It's alot of work but having faith , hard work who knows what can happen. Good luck to you. I will keep you in my prayers.

I take it that you are an incomplete,since you intend to go for AFO's which is good. you are still early and might get more return too. i think RGO's will be best suited for me as below injury is completly dead. Thanks for telling me to improve trunk control it's my weak point.

@ pbryant22.....Keep up the good work.

incomplete was injured Jan 8th this year.

you're doing great. I been at it for 2 1/2 years with my KAFO's and still can't stand with no hands on the bars, got to have a hand on the bar.
    Keep at it and you will reach your goal.