Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: We just had an Earthquake

We just had an Earthquake

I'm sitting in the bathroom, Tonja's on the phone and all of a sudden the whole house LITERALLY MOVED BACK AND FORTH FOR ABOUT 10 seconds. Waiting to hear on the news...........HOLY CRAP that is a terrifying event.
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

5.8 near Mineral, VA.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by WolfeMan View Post
    I'm sitting in the bathroom, Tonja's on the phone and all of a sudden the whole house LITERALLY MOVED BACK AND FORTH FOR ABOUT 10 seconds. Waiting to hear on the news...........HOLY CRAP that is a terrifying event.
    Yes, it occurred on both Rutgers campuses in New Brunswick and Piscataway. It must have happened some distance away because the movement was side-to-side.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfeMan View Post
    I experienced the one in Central Virginia (2.1 on the Richter scale I believe) several years ago. Yeah, it definitely rocks your world and makes you wonder.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked and it was a 4.5 earthquake back in 2003 about 30 miles west of where I was at.
    Last edited by Patton57; 08-23-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Seeing it on the news now larry, based in virgina, felt in NYC upt to Mass. I was sitting on the bed and it starting bouncing a bit and couldn't figure it out. i logged on here and saw your post, then turned the news on.

Just hearing about it on CNN/FOX/MSNBC. Epicenter: Mineral, Virginia, evidently between Charlottesville and Richmond on Interstate 64. Magnitude: 5.8, now upgrading to 6.0. A very shallow quake at 3.7 miles underground. Reports coming out that buildings in Washington, DC are being evacuated. Worries about subsidence beneath monuments and buildings. Also reports about evacuating some buildings and museums in New York City. NYMEX commodities market closed. Shutting down Newark, LaGuardia, JFK and control towers evacuated.

How close are you to this general area, Larry? Prepare for aftershocks.

All the best,
    GJ (from California - we know the feeling!!!!)
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-23-2011 at 02:23 PM.

It shook for a good 15-20 seconds here (Cape Henry, at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.) I was drilling math facts at the kitchen table with my 9 year old. He stopped answering right away, looked at me and asked 'Why is the house moving?' It took me a good moment to realize it wasn't me just rolling around a bit, as usual, on these unleveled old wood floors!!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

How scarey Larry. (I did not say YOU are scarey,Larry)
    Has that ever happened before in your area?

My wife and I didn't feel a thing.

There was some real shaking in Baltimore. At first, I thought I was having spasms, until I saw things moving. Quakes like this are not normal for the East Coast.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.