Thread: Not news but interesting (Rob Summers Epid. Stim)

Thumbs up Not news but interesting (Rob Summers Epid. Stim)

"I think in a few years we will see this in a clinical setting, in wide use around world. Epidural stimulation and training – and perhaps a drug that will come along – will give so many the opportunity to recover. They didn't expect me stand on the third day. They didn't expect me to move my toes and knees and hips on command in seven months. They didn't *expect me to take steps. No one knows what the future holds."

http://www.christopherreeve.org/site...ob_Summers.htm
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by topperf View Post
    "I think in a few years we will see this in a clinical setting, in wide use around world. Epidural stimulation and training – and perhaps a drug that will come along – will give so many the opportunity to recover. They didn't expect me stand on the third day. They didn't expect me to move my toes and knees and hips on command in seven months. They didn't *expect me to take steps. No one knows what the future holds."

http://www.christopherreeve.org/site...ob_Summers.htm
    I think in a few years this will be simply forgotten.
    That an example of the so called "false hope" in my opinion.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

- That exact approach, yes, but; "and perhaps a drug that will come along" is not far off target and; "will give so many the opportunity to recover" is, IMO neither - I guess the message; keep on keeping on, is what I derive from this, and I still think that's an importent message.
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Yeah, maybe the aproach will be outdated soon, but the message is good for the SCI crowd. I prefer this kind of news than no read about SCI in the media.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Yeah, maybe the aproach will be outdated soon, but the message is good for the SCI crowd. I prefer this kind of news than no read about SCI in the media.
    Maybe.... but my concern is that money and researchrs will go more in that direction for a while, untill it will become clear to all the limits of this line of research. That would be a waste of time and money.

From CDRF FB page Aug 23rd 2011:

Christopher and Dana Reeve FoundationLast May, however, news broke of Summers' remarkable recovery. In an experiment funded in part by the Reeve Foundation, he was the first patient to get an epidural stimulator implanted over his spinal cord.

Lisa Woods Tremaine I want to caution you. I was paralyzed by this process.

Lisa Woods Tremaine And yes you can get more paralyzed because your spinal canal space is damaged already.

Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation Lisa: Would you please provide procedure clarification to information @ChristopherReeve.org ? Thank you!

Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation Lisa: Due to privacy concerns on your behalf, we felt it best to remove your last comments. Please email us privately at information@christopherreeve.org. Thank you. Be safe online.

Lisa Woods Tremaine Oh I expected you would.

Saw it coming. Nothing speaking truth can be reflected. My safety was my business .. I put it there . Like a free speech violation is how I see this.
    I'll be sure to inform the fda and others .
    So disappointing.

It is far easier to tell the truth than it is to remember a lie

Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation Lisa: Sorry you feel that way. You bring up an excellent point about misleading news, providing verification, scientific or otherwise, that we're all subject to when posting publicly online. Please share your story with us more privately. We have expert resources to assist you, with safeguards, to then accurately relay it back to our users if appropriate.