Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Hot temps and quads tolerance?

Thanks guys for the info..I can't do Utah or Las Vegas..need to be Ca or Seattle or Vancouver or a combo of all 3! ) for my husbands work purposes..but I am sure others will love these recommendations!

I gallon of water at all times..that is scary stuff.

SO I have just arranged a house swap for Seattle and then another in plans for Victoria BC for early next year! yeah! that way I can stay in a great place and get to know the area..and see if it is for me or not. Of course I am going in their cold rainy season..but that is good as I will see how bad it is in Seattle Feb and March and not get lured by their summer lol!

yes VRBO is a great site but the search features stink for me..for example if I want to look up CA, wheelchair access, dogs allowed. single story, I cant do that unless I pick a specific city or area first..well I don't know the city names lol! I also like when they have a map of the location..that is cool..so I can see how far from LAX it is..

After Seattle I want to go to Vancouver or Ca. ) But no desert in summer for me )
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by dkwestern View Post
    How does the cool bandana work for you? The Cool Bandito and Ultra Sports Lightweight shirt look good too if the technology works (could wear under normal shirt). Humid heat wears me out quickly just sitting still.
    Worn around the neck or forehead, the Cool Bandana continually pulls the heat out of your bloodstream as it rushes past the veins in your neck. The coolness circulates throughout your whole body and brings your body temperature down to a comfortable level all day long. You literally get cooled from the inside out! Cool Bandanas are 35" long by 2" wide, with a 17" pocket in the middle that contains a polymer that absorbs water. Soak them in water for 10 or 15 minutes, then wear them around your neck like a bandana. They're ready to work all day long. AND when moisture dries out, the fabric flattens back to its original shape, reusable. These bandanas are available online at Amazon.com $4.95.

There was similar unit sold by ShaperImage years ago. It was a battery (AAA) operated mini-fan housed in hard plastic also worn much like a collar. The fabric bandanas delivers the same result, and cost less. Enjoy!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    The link provided on the previous discussion was an eye opener for sure! so thank you gjnl! ..and the thoughtful points made by Ry and Liz about excessive hot and cold extremes have really helped me to get my head around this..I think it is indeed not ideal for me to live out in Palm Desert/Springs area.. at least not in the summer months.

So I will rent out my house and just do a vacation rental for long term out in different areas in CA and in BC Canada until I can see what I can best acclimate too.

I have always found it very difficult to rent places that are in my budget and accessible ...so I know I am up for a challenge especially in CA. Palm Desert had beautiful homes and amazing views and they all seem to be built with literally no steps front or back..! It is like shangri-la for wheelers! Well at least wheelers who can sweat! lol.

PS LizZenu..you are clearly a beautiful person inside and out..thank you for your lovely response.
    Thank you for your warm and sincere acknowledgment! When time comes for considering California, list me amongst one of your resource. HUGs!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by LizZenU View Post
    Worn around the neck or forehead, the Cool Bandana continually pulls the heat out of your bloodstream as it rushes past the veins in your neck. The coolness circulates throughout your whole body and brings your body temperature down to a comfortable level all day long. You literally get cooled from the inside out! Cool Bandanas are 35" long by 2" wide, with a 17" pocket in the middle that contains a polymer that absorbs water. Soak them in water for 10 or 15 minutes, then wear them around your neck like a bandana. They're ready to work all day long. AND when moisture dries out, the fabric flattens back to its original shape, reusable. These bandanas are available online at Amazon.com $4.95.

There was similar unit sold by ShaperImage years ago. It was a battery (AAA) operated mini-fan housed in hard plastic also worn much like a collar. The fabric bandanas delivers the same result, and cost less. Enjoy!

Liz
    WOw what an amazing explanation of how they work! I didnt realize all that! seems like a dream come true! I saw them on another site recommended in a pm and I almost bought them for $24 each! so thanks for the affordable option! I will buy several for me and hubby..he is ab but always hot! lol dang.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by LizZenU View Post
    Thank you for your warm and sincere acknowledgment! When time comes for considering California, list me amongst one of your resource. HUGs!

Liz
    Will do Liz! Thank you! )

This thread confirms the research our daughter (freshman in high school-c5/c6) has done preparing a list for colleges. San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle are all on her radar. She has a list of schools that fall in more of a temperate temperature range with no/little snow so she can spend the most amount of time outside and not have the hassle of a Minnesota snow season. We might move with her, don't know but it doesn't hurt to start planning now. High school goes by quick and other locations may get put on her list but for now it is pretty narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    This thread confirms the research our daughter (freshman in high school-c5/c6) has done preparing a list for colleges. San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle are all on her radar. She has a list of schools that fall in more of a temperate temperature range with no/little snow so she can spend the most amount of time outside and not have the hassle of a Minnesota snow season. We might move with her, don't know but it doesn't hurt to start planning now. High school goes by quick and other locations may get put on her list but for now it is pretty narrow.

that is fantastic that she is such a thoughtful planner. Good for you too! My daughter is in college in San Fran and loves it. Not sure rain season in Seattle will be easy to manage for her, but Cali seems to be an excellent way to go.

Being too cold or too hot is so uncomfortable for us-and makes it hard to focus and concentrate. I will sit up against my heating unit behind my desk and can't move until I get the cold off..hate being cold. And as many have stated, too hot is dangerous. We have actually nixed our Seattle/Vancouver plans and will be staying in FLorida until AUgust. Then we will travel to Europe instead. Right now the FLorida weather is so ideal..it is truly paradise.
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 02-21-2012 at 02:28 PM.

I live in the mid-west and wear a cooling vest when I'm outdoors and temps are above 85 degrees. The vest keeps me cool for approximately 4 hours per set of thermo-strips. Cost for vest and two sets of thermo-strips is $330.00. Here's a link to the manufacturers site: http://www.steelevest.com/?page=Medical_L.htm