Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Hot temps and quads tolerance?

Dry Hot temps and quads tolerance?

Hello,

I am a south florida girl, been so since college and as a C 6-7 incomplete have no ability to regulate temps or sweat at all.

I suffer in cold temps..neck gets so sore from tension and legs freeze..and humid hot weather of florida summer swells my legs like crazy.

I have two questions I could really use some real life experience:

If anyone lives in Ca or areas out west were there is less humidity, do you still get swollen feet?

I am thinking of temp relocating to Palm Springs/Desert area and am worried about how I would tolerate the high temps with virtually no rain or humidity. I hear it is tolerated well for abs who sweat..as wind cools them, but would that be too dangerous for us? Here is what I read about the weather out there "The days warm up steadily during spring, usually passing 100°F (38°C) for the first time in May, though all months apart from Dec, Jan and Feb have recorded 100 degree days, something unmatched by any other US destination.
    The normal high temps are 110 with sun 354 days a high and a rainfall of just 5.8 inches per year."

Does anyone with no temp control have any experience in extreme high desert like heat that they can share?
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Hello "sherocksandsherolls."
    Recently there was a thread here that discussed living in the greater Phoenix area:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...hlight=phoenix

Phoenix has always been known for having a dry heat climate. Over the years with everyone wanting lush green lawns, midwestern trees, swimming pools and water features, the climate has changed significantly and friends and relatives that live there are complaining, especially this summer, about how humid the greater Phoenix area is.

Palm Springs/Desert has remained relatively dry, but truly....hot is hot and I find no difference in my ability (C6/7 complete) to tolerate 90° better when it is humid or dry. The lifestyle in these hot climates generally means you are going from one air conditioned space to another air conditioned space, with hopefully very short exposures to the outdoor temperatures, although a hot car/van can be a challenge to cool down quickly, if it has been sitting outside in the heat of the day.

All the best,
    GJ

I agree with the advice above. I have many clients who live in Phoenix or Tucson, and they pretty much stay indoors during the summer. Air conditioning is a medical necessity for them.

Keep in mind that both Palm Springs and the Phoenix area can get COLD in the winter, especially at night. While they don't get snow, temperatures in the low 30s or even 20s F are not unusual. This is also true of Las Vegas and most other desert areas.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hello "sherocksandsherolls."
    Recently there was a thread here that discussed living in the greater Phoenix area:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...hlight=phoenix

Palm Springs/Desert has remained relatively dry, but truly....hot is hot and I find no difference in my ability (C6/7 complete) to tolerate 90° better when it is humid or dry. The lifestyle in these hot climates generally means you are going from one air conditioned space to another air conditioned space, with hopefully very short exposures to the outdoor temperatures, although a hot car/van can be a challenge to cool down quickly, if it has been sitting outside in the heat of the day.

All the best,
    GJ
    Thats for the response GJ and KLD!..that is what I was wondering..if the humidity would actually make us who do not sweat for coolness, ..well cooler than dry heat..I mean it never gets 110 in FL! except in my van lol..

I am really concerned about safety.if it is that hot..and my car broke down or we had an earthquake and no electric..I don't know.

Just wondering if there were any quads out there that actually successfully lived there lol! I mean it is 90 here and I can spend time outside..I am not a big outdoor person anyway--lol Just outdoor cafes and concerts..itis not like I play golf or anything. SO I can take short amounts of time. Just wondering if 110 meant like NO time!

and I wonder if the earth would just swallow me up in a earthquake! Maybe I should just make sure I live in a one story earthquake spec built home too! Geez we just missed the chance of a cat 4 hurricane here in FL and I am thinking about going to the earthquake fault line zone! lol
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

California weather...

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    Hello,

I am a south florida girl, been so since college and as a C 6-7 incomplete have no ability to regulate temps or sweat at all.

I suffer in cold temps..neck gets so sore from tension and legs freeze..and humid hot weather of florida summer swells my legs like crazy.

If anyone lives in Ca or areas out west were there is less humidity, do you still get swollen feet?

I am thinking of temp relocating to Palm Springs/Desert area and am worried about how I would tolerate the high temps with virtually no rain or humidity. I hear it is tolerated well for abs who sweat..as wind cools them, but would that be too dangerous for us? Here is what I read about the weather out there "The days warm up steadily during spring, usually passing 100°F (38°C) for the first time in May, though all months apart from Dec, Jan and Feb have recorded 100 degree days, something unmatched by any other US destination.
    The normal high temps are 110 with sun 354 days a high and a rainfall of just 5.8 inches per year."

Does anyone with no temp control have any experience in extreme high desert like heat that they can share?
    Similar in temperature control as an incomplete quad (C5&6). Body temperature for me is challenged from cold to warmer temps. For an example I have to be very aware and careful when mild temperatures shifts from mid 60's to high 70's and above. My body requires a few weeks (2-3) for it to get used to spring/summer temperatures, if I ignore these temperature changes I am susceptible to autonomic-dysplexia. My body cooling system delayed and once ended up in ER.

I live within the San Francisco Bay peninsula and our climate is does not sway in extremes. We may experience a week of mid-80's to 90's during the day with cool breeze late afternoons; however, at night temp drops into mid-60's. I often visit my family in Palm Springs, and for me dry heat leaves me to fatigue in much shorter time. This cuts my activities of being outdoors and end up spending too much time indoors. I experience that moving from air conditioned room to just short distance outside in the open and then back to an air conditioned room is very uncomfortable because of the yoyo affect of my skin being exposed to cold and hot. This often results to being sunburned alot and my toes turn into looking like vienna sausages.

What do I do besides be aware of temperature conditions? I wear light-cotton or linen fabric, loose fitting and enough to cover my arms and legs. Long skirts for summer, and pants for colder weather. In addition, ski-pants for everyday use for colder temps. Drink enough water, a water spray bottle helps me stay cool. At times I also help cool my skin with soaked, wet hand towels and drape them across the nape of my neck. Here's cool bandana check it out. I use them often indoors and out. I learned about this product from a local motorcycling club.

http://coolbandanas.com/coolorder.htm

Colder season is bearable more so because I layer my clothing and peel-off as needed.

I hope my experience has somewhat given you a perception on how I handle extreme temperature conditions. I welcome other questions, take care, and be joyful.

Liz

I live in Phoenix. It's just important not to spend too much time outside and if you have to, make sure you have a spray bottle with you. We set a record temperature today at 114°. It was nasty but never you go has air-conditioning, sometimes it's a little too cold you go from the extreme heat into the grocery store freezer section. Winter and spring are awesome though, well at least spring is, it can actually be pretty cold in the winter with some days not even getting above 60° with nights dipping into the lower 30s but after a few months of summertime it's a wonderful break.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

thank you

The link provided on the previous discussion was an eye opener for sure! so thank you gjnl! ..and the thoughtful points made by Ry and Liz about excessive hot and cold extremes have really helped me to get my head around this..I think it is indeed not ideal for me to live out in Palm Desert/Springs area.. at least not in the summer months.

So I will rent out my house and just do a vacation rental for long term out in different areas in CA and in BC Canada until I can see what I can best acclimate too.

I have always found it very difficult to rent places that are in my budget and accessible ...so I know I am up for a challenge especially in CA. Palm Desert had beautiful homes and amazing views and they all seem to be built with literally no steps front or back..! It is like shangri-la for wheelers! Well at least wheelers who can sweat! lol.

PS LizZenu..you are clearly a beautiful person inside and out..thank you for your lovely response.
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 08-24-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LizZenU View Post
    Similar in temperature control as an incomplete quad (C5&6). Body temperature for me is challenged from cold to warmer temps. For an example I have to be very aware and careful when mild temperatures shifts from mid 60's to high 70's and above. My body requires a few weeks (2-3) for it to get used to spring/summer temperatures, if I ignore these temperature changes I am susceptible to autonomic-dysplexia. My body cooling system delayed and once ended up in ER.

I live within the San Francisco Bay peninsula and our climate is does not sway in extremes. We may experience a week of mid-80's to 90's during the day with cool breeze late afternoons; however, at night temp drops into mid-60's. I often visit my family in Palm Springs, and for me dry heat leaves me to fatigue in much shorter time. This cuts my activities of being outdoors and end up spending too much time indoors. I experience that moving from air conditioned room to just short distance outside in the open and then back to an air conditioned room is very uncomfortable because of the yoyo affect of my skin being exposed to cold and hot. This often results to being sunburned alot and my toes turn into looking like vienna sausages.

What do I do besides be aware of temperature conditions? I wear light-cotton or linen fabric, loose fitting and enough to cover my arms and legs. Long skirts for summer, and pants for colder weather. In addition, ski-pants for everyday use for colder temps. Drink enough water, a water spray bottle helps me stay cool. At times I also help cool my skin with soaked, wet hand towels and drape them across the nape of my neck. Here's cool bandana check it out. I use them often indoors and out. I learned about this product from a local motorcycling club.

http://coolbandanas.com/coolorder.htm

Colder season is bearable more so because I layer my clothing and peel-off as needed.

I hope my experience has somewhat given you a perception on how I handle extreme temperature conditions. I welcome other questions, take care, and be joyful.

Liz

How does the cool bandana work for you? The Cool Bandito and Ultra Sports Lightweight shirt look good too if the technology works (could wear under normal shirt). Humid heat wears me out quickly just sitting still.

If you’re still interested in moving out west you could look at say Saint George Utah. Utahan’s call it Little Palm Springs it is not as hot as Vegas or Palm Springs but does see temps in the triple digits during the summer months but not on a daily basis You may want to also check out my old home town of Cedar City Utah, temps there rarely get above 90 degrees in the summer and the spring and fall months are very mild with the winters being fairly mild but snow can be an issue for a day or two . Also the housing market in both towns are in the tank and homes can be picked up for about 2/3 of their actual price if not less. Nice thing about Cedar City is that within an a half hour drive you can be at 10,000 feet in elevation or you can be basking in the sun at Saint George.

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    Hello,

Hey,

We moved from the Midwest (Chicago) to get out of the rain, snow and humidity 25 years as a c4-c5 quad in that weather was enough for me. I now live in Las Vegas, Nevada for the past 6 years and I won't lie to you that 3 months out of the year it is hot. Dry heat my as* today is 112 and I like you don't sweat. I am up early and this is pretty much a 24 hour town so I head out early, workout, run errands and try to be back by 2 or 3 p.m. at the latest. A/C is great till the sun goes down around 7 or 8 p.m. then it is in the upper 80's again.

It does take some getting used to but I'm good with it now. I never drive anywhere without 1 gallon of water per person in the van, I have a spray bottle and small towel also. We are usually cooler than AZ cuz they are further South than us and so is Palm Springs, I also live at 4000 feet (the strip is about 3000) so it is cooler and windier up here. I'll take 9 months of great weather (it was 72 last Christmas day) and 3 months of heat any time. When I head out it's sunglasses and car keys and that's it.

Try this site for rentals all over the country..

http://www.vrbo.com/?cid=E_auto_IB_T...logo_image_LT1
    Last edited by darty; 08-25-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    ^^(A)^^