Thread: Is this an MS attack?

Is this an MS attack?

In reviewing the symptoms of an MS attack...I realize that there are many different varieties, but I've never found what happens to me included in the descriptions.

Legs are always spastic, and I always have difficulty walking and getting in and out of bed...but...

Using this last Friday as an example...I went to bed about 9pm. Got in bed on my own without any more difficulty than normal. About 1am, I woke up and had to pee...I found my legs were locked and I couldn't move them. I had to ask my wife to swing them to the floor so I could stand and use my "facilities". She told me I felt like I had a slight fever as she helped me back into bed. About 3am I woke up shivering. My entire body was locked and I had great difficulty moving even my arms. At 7am, my wife again helped me stand, and I walked (with my walker) with great difficulty into the living room where I spent the day in my lift chair. I still had a fever.

Sunday and Monday I gradually improved as my fever subsided. Today, I'm back to normal and the fever is gone.

Do MS attacks come with a fever, or does a fever set off the attack?

I have never heard of an MS attack causing a fever, but a fever definitely worsens existing MS symptoms because our nerves lack myelin insulation - this means that internal heat amplifies signals and we can't handle them well. Whenever I have a fever, I become very stiff and spastic and can barely walk or even move (as you describe).

It sounds to me as if you had an infection that caused a fever, which in turn exacerbated your symptoms - not a new attack, but a temporary worsening of the things you always experience.

If your fever returns, it will be important for you to trace its source in order to bring it under control - so do see your doctor if that happens. It sounds like your body has taken care of the problem for now, since you have no fever today and your increased spasticity has subsided. Hope your fever stays gone!

My last three or four attacks have all been this way...a month or two apart. My PCP seems unconcerned (we're looking for a new one, but out here in nowhere iowa, its tough).

This is just another reason why I question if I really have MS.

I hear you. The medical care where I live is awful (unless the issue is a minor sports injury), and I've learned that when my doctors seem unconcerned, it's usually because they're stumped and don't know what to do next. I know you've been looking into options for having a diagnostic workup elsewhere, and I hope you'll be able to do that - it is so hard to have unanswered questions about the most basic issue: the diagnosis!

I am with Bonnette, sounds like an infection. Davids body acts that way with bladder infections. It could last seconds or hours.

May want to keep an eye on your blood pressure as well.

No fever for me, but everything else you mentioned, but I end up pissing my pants or the bed lol!!!!!!

Yes for depends!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please excuse me......