Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C5 Incomplete, ASIA B, How long should they be in rehab?

Outpatient has been good. At first it was hard to transition from 3 hours to 1.5 hours. The center he goes to has transportation so they pick him up and drop him off. My husband has had to work very hard. To maximize your return you must work at home as well. On 4/5 when we left hospital we went to walmart and he bought 10lb wrist weights. Every day he would have us strap them on and he would work out. WHen his outpatient OT person heard this she said he should use 1 pound weights and I understood her concern. My husband insisted that he was getting return and refused to listen to her. My point in saying this is you have to listen to the professionals but the individual who is fighting must have a voice as well. Also understand his evaluations. During inpatient he was successfull with 5 pound weights so why would you tell him to only use 1 pound at home? I cant say who was right or wrong but I do believe that his determination and will-power brought him where he is now. His advice to others is to take what you got and run it! If your left arm works then exercise to the point that you could take out Holyfield or Tyson.

With that kind of return so early on I hope you fight like hell and get them to approve a lengthy "recovery based rehab"! Shepard seems to be the best. I'm an incomplete. Although I spent 6 months in rehab, it wasn't based on gaining abilties(other than arms/hands) but just meeting goals from the chair. I'm a happy girl as is but I sure do wish I'd have known about Shepard 5 yrs ago. I just might have gotten alot more back. Best of luck to you both. Too many of us took the shitty advice and settled for less than what we deserved all bc we NEVER knew things were possible. You found a jewel in this site so early on.

It's not up to the dr. Yea, you need a dr. to write the orders for rehab so fight him, go around him,go above him! Threaten to sue for malpractice, whatever it takes.

If he doesn't get anything back after that battle, just know that life IS still possible. Hard ,but possible.

Wow, stuff sure has changed since my injury.. Personally I can't imagine 5 weeks for rehab for a tetra/quad..

Rehab for me was stay as long as you need, until you feel comfortable doing it on your own.

Reab back then was also washing your clothes, cooking..stuff you'd actualy do out in the real world. Not just working on balance, strengthening..

I actually feel sorry for new SCIs now a days..Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire..
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Quote Originally Posted by Reed-edm View Post
    Wow, stuff sure has changed since my injury.. Personally I can't imagine 5 weeks for rehab for a tetra/quad..

Rehab for me was stay as long as you need, until you feel comfortable doing it on your own.

Reab back then was also washing your clothes, cooking..stuff you'd actualy do out in the real world. Not just working on balance, strengthening..

I actually feel sorry for new SCIs now a days..Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire..
    It definately is a challenge. As a caregiver you feel overwhelmed and helpless. My hubby's inpatient no longer makes home visits so I had to take pictures/videos of my house and get recommendations from staff. Its very scary. I was trying to follow the hospitals schedule which was impossible. Its good to start that way if at all possible but you eventually have to find a schedule that fits your lifestyle. Other then teaching him how to put on his shirt and brush his teeth/wash his face we had to teach one another everything else. He can put on his left shoe but the right show is harder since he doesnt have fine motor skills and has foot drop. Is their a tool he can use to make this easier?

"Too many of us took the shitty advice and settled for less than what we deserved all bc we NEVER knew things were possible. You found a jewel in this site so early on.

It's not up to the dr. Yea, you need a dr. to write the orders for rehab so fight him, go around him,go above him! Threaten to sue for malpractice, whatever it takes.

If he doesn't get anything back after that battle, just know that life IS still possible. Hard ,but possible."

I love this post! Thank you! Just as an update, when I had my "heart to heart" with the Dr. on Friday he said that David would likely not get ANYTHING back. I was outraged, knowing he was only 3 1/2 weeks out from his injury, and decided right then and there we were not staying at Carolinas Rehabilitation. If the lead on his team, had no hope for help, I felt like it set the wrong tone for the rest of his Rehab. I spoke to Shepherd, who by the way completely disagreed and see a lot potential in David, and we are moving next Wednesday. We'll likely stay 2 months and he'll have 6 hours a day of rehab. So again, thank you for all your advice. I din't take no for an anser, and I think David will better off because of it!

Quote Originally Posted by soukeynas View Post
    I cant say who was right or wrong but I do believe that his determination and will-power brought him where he is now. His advice to others is to take what you got and run it! If your left arm works then exercise to the point that you could take out Holyfield or Tyson.
    I love this quote as well, and I have shared it with David. Thank you! I wish all the best for you and your husband!

i was injured august 9th 2009 a c5/c6 incomplete asia b i have feeling from head to toes i can move one finger on each hand and can move the toes on my right foot no leg movement yet but i'm hopefull i was in the hospital from aug 9th to the 18th when i was transported to RIC in Chicago i was in therapy from aug 18th till nov 21st so i was in therapy for a little over 3 months