Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hopes of Walking Again

I had a motorcycle accident back in 1977 at the age of sixteen. I fractured C4 & C6 and shattered the front of C5. The surgeon took a piece of bone from my pelvis and fused everything back together.
    I did a stent in a Stryker bed and 6 months in a halo. When I was first injured, I had minimal movement of my arms with no hands and very little sensation.
    It took roughly a year to get to the point where I no longer used the chair on a daily basis. I use forearm crutches for mobility but, have a limited range.
    I have issues with all muscle groups below the deltoids but, everything works to some degree and somewhat normal sensation.
    I have the weak quad like hands and general overall strength issues. I am lucky in that I don’t have the neuropathic pain but, have have a lot of the used and abused type of joint/muscle pain. If I may suggest, push and enjoy the small achievements! This was a long slow process for me and if a person dwells only on walking part of it you will drive yourself crazy.
    Wishing you the best!

I had the most noticeable return between months 10 and 12. I walk with canes and still doing better at month 14. What everyone else here said.....work hard! Harder than you've ever worked at anything before. Give yourself the best possible chance!

I had huge return at that time. Rolled into a VA center, did a suspended treadmill experiment. Walked out 6 mo's later.

If you aren't aching and making yourself sick, you aren't trying hard enough. For now, this is your LIFE.

You have a window of 2 yrs. post injury, is the theory. True or not, I can't say. All I know is I beat that 2 years like the bitch it was. You're obviously an incomplete injury w/ great potential. You won't forgive yourself if you don't try.

Get in the pool!

Get as much therapy as physically possible!

Don't give up!

Every injury is different and while we all have similarities, we all got different returns. My girlfriend in rehab was your age and your level and it took her longer to get return but she had lots of movement like you and she walked/drove/childbirth eventually. There is a beautiful boy somewhere in Missouri that looks just like her. She gave up and drank herself to death when she lost a couple of family members. She had lots of other issues besides SCI before SCI....

I still had some feeling return 4 years later in my legs...at 23 years I am waiting for nerves to miraculously regrow....LOLOLOLOL or maybe some fins so I can swim like a dolphin or something. I am kidding
    by the way...don't lose your humor!

Good luck in your recovery. You have lots of living to do and lots of adventures to partake in!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Never give up!

I had a spinal cord injury in 1997 where I broke T9 & T10 that paralyzed me and caused the loss of my bowels and bladder. With lots of prayer, encouragement from family and friends and lots of physical therapy, I was able to progress from a wheelchair to a walker, then crutches, a cane and eventually to walking without any assistance. It was a long road and took a lot of hard work and patience.
    Read about my spinal cord injury here: http://www.shanegoddard.com