Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopes of Walking Again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Hopes of Walking Again

Hello Everyone,

I'm a C6 C7 incomplete tetraplegic and I'm 7 months post. I have use of my right hand and my left is slowly getting better. I can kick out my right leg slightly and lift my right knee up. I can also bring my right hip in and out and pull my leg back when laying flat in bed. I can wiggle my toes on both feet. I am concerned that it has been too long to get it all back. Has anyone seen significant return after 7 months to the point that you are walking? I really am losing hope... I am only 24.

It wont come back you have to go after it. If you can wiggle it or move it keep wiggling and moving it. Strength is gone and you have to rebuild it along with stamina. My strength is far ahead of stamina and I dont expect it to change.
    Do not lose hope. Never surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by ACBLiNG View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I'm a C6 C7 incomplete tetraplegic and I'm 7 months post. I have use of my right hand and my left is slowly getting better. I can kick out my right leg slightly and lift my right knee up. I can also bring my right hip in and out and pull my leg back when laying flat in bed. I can wiggle my toes on both feet. I am concerned that it has been too long to get it all back. Has anyone seen significant return after 7 months to the point that you are walking? I really am losing hope... I am only 24.
    There is no rhyme or reason to spinal cord injuries. There's been C1's that walk out of the hospital and there's L5's that never leave the house. Don't give up hope, but be realistic. A book that really helped me was Mark Zupan's "Gimp". He's a C7 incomplete that fought as hard as anyone could to re-gain function, he can stand and walk (sort of) but in the end embraced the wheelchair and went on to become the poster-boy of wheelchair rugby.

You may want to pm Mac85, he has been to Project Walk and programs like it, he can give you some insight on the psychological and physical side of things.

In the meantime just do as much as you can. It's easy to get depressed and let life pass you by. Don't let SCI win.

I have no idea where you are but you should go to rehab. You will keep getting some return back for a couple of years so you are still a newby. I am a C5-C6 that was walking of 37 years on crutches. I wish I had gone to a chair many years ago.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Absolutely! and the more movement, therapy-even if someone is moving it for you- after injury- as soon ss possible- there is chance for "sprouting". Nothing guaranteed but do what you need to do and see what comes back!!! And make what you ahve stronger.
    CWO

Has anyone seen significant return after 7 months to the point that you are walking?

Yes, it is possible although walking was helped with a walker or crutches

Move and exercise every thing that will move. Wiggle your toes as much as you can. Find a rehab pool and a positive physical therapist and work out as much as possible. Every little thing that you get back makes things easier.

I've seen it with an older gentleman 5 years after. I doubt it was conidered return so much as he strengthened the core muscle groups by HARD work. He started out in a power chair only able to move his right arm. Now, 9yrs later, he is walking in the pool, completley independent and still works his butt off daily. He's 79 yrs old.

I'm 38 yrs post and work my butt off still. Since starting to work with a trainer, five years ago, my lower core is way more functional than it was even 7 years ago and much lower than my injury level.

You should be eating, drinking exercize as much as possible> With the return you are getting, slacking off any is a dis-service to you. Now is the time to maximize your ability. 7 months post is really new. From what I've heard, the cord can still be in shock or traumatized. When a doc tells you that after so many months post that is all you'll get is bs. Most of them don't see us 2 or 3 years later still gaining; it's a guesstament at most.

my best to you. every injury is different.

Hello Dear 24 Year old,
    sorry to hear about your awful injury. I too had an awful injury in Dec 2011 leaving me paraplegic with gradual recovery of one side of my lower body only during the first months.
    I only had flickers of a few muscles on the right side and was wheelchair bound for 4-5 months.

Generally, my muscles atrophied following spinal shock and the regeneration of those muscles was very worrying as I didnt feel I had them any more. Several physios cautioned me not to be too optimistic about walking again. I did all the standard exercises i.e. no devices or aids and this gave rise for optimism that I could recover some of the large leg muscles but it was dreadfully slow. The physio group then gave me a 'Neurotech' electrical stimulation system which I have used for some months now and it had helped to regenerate muscles that even the Physiotherapists dismissed as non functional any more. For example, the glutes were completely dead as little as 8 weeks ago and essential to walking. I now have the glutes working and now can walk say 500m without any walking aids.

I only had very very slight flickers in many muscles the Neurotech equipment brought them back. I made a mistake in the early stages by only using these devices once a day for thirty minutes, some doctors say use them up to 4 times a day.

Best Regards

Oconnor

Hey ACBLiNG, C4-5 incomplete here. I started walking 15 years post - when I read info on this site that let me know it was possible. I have documented my progress (and how I did it) here: swaggerback at wordpress dot com.

With your function, it looks like a real possibility. But, you're so newly injured that I'd expect it to be a little while before you discover everything that you'll get back (with spinal shock and healing times). Like others have said, you won't get anywhere unless you spend A LOT of time working at it. Wises' article on walking therapies on this site is very informative.