Thread: Stories for hope/info for Colorado opportunities

Smile Stories for hope/info for Colorado opportunities

Hello everyone!
    4 months ago my step father was in an accident on his ATV.
    He spent 3 weeks at Denver Health in the surgical ICU unit, and was (luckily) transferred to Craig hospital.
    After 3 months there, he was released. Craig was an awesome hospital, and probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

Officially, his injury is a c6-c7 incomplete. He has been getting stronger, and while he has no fine motor skill of his hands, he does have gross motor skills. He cannot move his legs or feet (though he has been able to coax his toe to move a few times). He seems to be getting some sensation. Sometimes he will say it feels like "needles" poking him.

Any stories of healing and or extensive rehabilitation that I can pass along would be very much appreciated.

Also, he was doing very well on the FES bikes at Craig. He and my mother live in Longmont, and cannot make it to Craig on a routine basis for his outpatient rehab. He is using the therapy pool at Longmont United, but we haven't been able to find anywhere nearby that offers access to the bikes. Does anyone know of any resources to by used FES bikes, or a rehab center near Longmont/Boulder that would have them?

He has stayed extremely positive (more so than I think I could be), and is absolutely convinced that he walk again some day. Please, if anyone can think of anything that may help in his continued rehab, I would appreciate it.

Thank you all, and I am so glad to have found this site!

Aubrey

tell him to hope for the best, BUT prepare for the worst. almost everyone gets sensation back but that doesn't have anything to do with motor nerves.

i've seen a lot of new injuries live in denial for a year until they suddenly realize that SCI is a lifelong commitment. it hits those guys very hard when their fantasy of "walking one day" disappears.

Welcome to the forum. It's still early days in your stepdad's rehab, and the Denver area has a lot of good professional support, that's a big plus. It's excellent that he was transferred to Craig shortly after the incident. Best wishes to you and your family.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 08-19-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: correction

Hi Aubrey,

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place to find answers to almost any question you could ask. The most important piece of advice I could offer you right now is to be patient...very patient.

I hope all goes well with your step fathers recovery.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

hey aubrey, i just wanted to check in and see how your family is doing. i'm from colorado but was hospitalised in australia. since i didn't have an injury per se (had a virus that attacked my spinal cord in the lumbar region) i did PT at parker adventist hospital on the south side of town and also do a lot at rose in denver. i used to live in boulder, is there maybe a rehab facility at boulder community hospital-foothills? or medical center of the rockies in loveland? a friend's dad had guillian-barre and was in the hospital and later at rehab at boulder community.

I don't see the harm in having a recovery 'fantasy'. In the beginning, it's hard to tell what motor and sensory skills will recover and there are a lot of surprises out there. A good attitude is a huge part of the battle. During the first several years, he will be discovering what will return and working on what motor capabilities he has. After that, he will refine what he has, adapting where possible and making the most of life.

Don't squash that hopeful spirit, yours or his. Those spirits are what cause us to look beyond the trauma to the possibilities. Life as an SCI individual is a creative process of constant reinvention. Are you up to it? Sure you are!

Please let us know how you do.

Welcome Aubrey. Encourage your step-dad to keep moving those toes!!! Any movement that far away from his injury site is a good thing and he should keep at it. You just never know how far he could go with it!! Good luck and keep us posted!

Never give up!

I had a spinal cord injury in 1997 where I broke T9 & T10 that paralyzed me and caused the loss of my bowels and bladder. With lots of prayer, encouragement from family and friends and lots of physical therapy, I was able to progress from a wheelchair to a walker, then crutches, a cane and eventually to walking without any assistance. It was a long road and took a lot of hard work and patience.
    Read about my spinal cord injury here: http://www.shanegoddard.com

I agree with wheelz99, unfortunately, but a 4 month injury is still pretty fresh & it's tricky to predict what the future may bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
    Please, if anyone can think of anything that may help in his continued rehab, I would appreciate it.
    1. Take a 5hr road trip to the Adaptive Sports Center in Crested Butte (I currently work there). Encourage new experiences that'll build his confidence and keep him active.

Video: http://adaptivesports.org/page.cfm?pageid=13805

2. If you're near Boulder, stop by the department of Open Space and Mountain Parks. There's a guy who works there named Topher who has a similar injury & would be a great source of peer support. Tell him that Scott Pruett referred you.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqWWfjnPNeQ

it is just too soon to tell. the cord shock and swelling may not go away for a few more months yet.

since he is incomplete, he may get a lot of recovery, or may not. and the stabbing burning broken glass feeling may go away, but will likely get worse over time.

I still have a recovery fantasy twelve years post.