Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Who Plans to Attend Working 2 Walk 2011 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    I see them as my only hope given time constraints. Hopefully I would have my injection of umbilical cord blood and lithium once good restoration of function had been demonstrated, but my neurosurgeon is willing to perform any viable therapy.

If the ucbc and lithium show neuroprotection and no actual regeneration or plasticity, would your neursurgeon want you injected or would that be considered a viable therapy for you? Would at least the decompression and intense rehab help? I'm just curious.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-08-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Ill see you all in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Ill see you all in Washington.
    Travel safe! We'll have lots to learn about and good researchers we can talk to and ask questions. Glad you'll be there!!!

Thanks Grammy will do.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    If the ucbc and lithium show neuroprotection and no actual regeneration or plasticity, would your neursurgeon want you injected or would that be considered a viable therapy for you? Would at least the decompression and intense rehab help? I'm just curious.
    I don't know Grammy

I've read through as many of the papers that have been listed which constitute the rationale behind umbilical cord stem cells and lithium. All the papers used the stem cells at "acute" stages, (most after 1 week following SCI). Nothing at "chronic" stages. All the studies show a very modest effect of these particular stem cells of about 2 BBB points beyond that of cyclosporin which is used to prevent rejection. Not so good. There is no evidence that lithium promotes stem cell survival in the injured cord. The Wu paper examined lithium effects on stem cell proliferation when placed into the normal spinal cord only. The second Wu paper saw no effect of lithium alone on regeneration. There was only one additonal paper on this subject which was carried out only in vitro. All of the papers are in low impact journals. This does not give me much hope at all. I wish you only the best Christopher if you should decide you want this ucbc/lithium injection. Perhaps the decompression and intense rehab would be helpful. I'm fearful this concoction will not be quite what you are looking for in regards to actual regeneration or plasticity.

I've read through as many of the papers that have been listed which constitute the rationale behind umbilical cord stem cells and lithium. All the papers used the stem cells at "acute" stages, (most after 1 week following SCI). Nothing at "chronic" stages. All the studies show a very modest effect of these particular stem cells of about 2 BBB points beyond that of cyclosporin which is used to prevent rejection. Not so good. There is no evidence that lithium promotes stem cell survival in the injured cord. The Wu paper examined lithium effects on stem cell proliferation when placed into the normal spinal cord only. The second Wu paper saw no effect of lithium alone on regeneration. There was only one additonal paper on this subject which was carried out only in vitro. All of the papers are in low impact journals. This does not give me much hope at all. I wish you only the best Christopher if you should decide you want this ucbc/lithium injection. Perhaps the decompression and intense rehab would be helpful. I'm fearful this concoction will not be quite what you are looking for in regards to actual regeneration or plasticity.
    Very good points. Desperation breeds justification. We are closer but we are not close.

Why is Wise putting so much energy into clinical trials of these two therapies? It just doesn't make any sense.

What therapy is more hopeful, if any, Grammy? Do you have a child that's injured? What are you hoping for them?
    Last edited by Christopher Paddon; 10-10-2011 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    Why is Wise putting so much energy into clinical trials of these two therapies? It just doesn't make any sense.

What therapy is more hopeful, if any, Grammy? Do you have a child that's injured? What are you hoping for them?
    One word here: CHONDROITINASE,,, it makes no sense to me why nobody has tried it on humans when it is the most promising avenue for fascilitating axonal regrowth? I myself am willing to try it because with my mid-thoracic injury it only makes sense it would help a lot. In combination with some neuronal growth factor elements I think it could easily a first generation cure for some types of SCI!

Quote Originally Posted by tweez View Post
    One word here: CHONDROITINASE,,, it makes no sense to me why nobody has tried it on humans when it is the most promising avenue for fascilitating axonal regrowth? I myself am willing to try it because with my mid-thoracic injury it only makes sense it would help a lot. In combination with some neuronal growth factor elements I think it could easily a first generation cure for some types of SCI!

Im sure Tony Caggiano of Acorda will be able to shed some light on the hold ups at Working2Walk. From my understanding there is still some debate about the most efficient way of administering the enzyme. Injection, biomaterial or viral vectors are some methods currently being researched.