Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help for chair for 91yo mom

need help for chair for 91yo mom

My mom is in dire need of a good working mobile chair. She had a rascal scooter with large wheels for outside that is no longer working, and a jazzy pride for indoors that has always had a lot of problems, a lopsided seat, batteries that don't charge, and a very slow creep along speed, at best. The place she got it from was always charging her more money for repairs that didn't do anything. The batteries would last only a few months and then they would charge her $250-300 for new ones.

I had been offering to get her a good offboard charger for years and she wouldn't accept the idea, but now she is thinking to get a chair from craigslist, instead of going through medicare. There are quite a few chairs for sale in the area for less than $1000. She is NE of San Antonio. We need help to decide what chair would be good for her, for a reasonable price. She is medium size, has limited mobility, is able to get in and out of the chair with considerable difficulty, and that's it. She would like to still have a scooter to use for outside, as she lives in the country, but most importantly she needs a chair for inside the house and when someone takes her to the grocery.

There are a couple of ramps in the house, mostly to negotiate a step in the hallway right in the middle of the house, and another ramp from the garage to the house. She also has an issue with plugging the charger in at night as she has a hard time holding things with her hands. She does plug it in, and keeps the one she's not using plugged in, but this is difficult for her to accomplish, and the chargers in the chairs did not work very well, if they were even functional. It would be great if there was an easier way for her to connect the chargers to the grid.

I don't know what is listed on Craigs List in terms of chairs, but another site to be checking is Ebay, which often has decent chairs available. My guess is that you want something relatively compact. There is no reason to get a mid-wheel drive chair if it is mostly to be used indoors and you do not require the chair to tilt. Mid-wheels turn easier, but they are significantly longer because they have six wheels instead of four, so they are more awkward to use in tight spaces. Look at used Quickies and chairs made by Invacare. When you locate a possible chair post a link here and people will give you feedback BEFORE you purchase it. I have the end of my battery charger cord taped to a flat stick to make it easier for me to plug it in. That way the little end with the prongs is being held mostly rigid and all I have to do is aim correctly.

Can you get a neighbor to come check in the evening that the chair gets plugged in. I have set up with neighbors to take my mom to the store, doctors, etc. I pay them a pre arranged price.

Eileen, thank you for the great suggestions.
    Here are some chairs listed on craigslist in SA.

invacare pronto powerchair ~ 500
    http://www.discountscooters.com/in-pronto.html
    From a phone call it sounds to be in great condition.
    It was used by his dad who works out now and no longer needs it.

merit powerchair ~ 150
    http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/hab/2527664231.html
    owner got chair with other items, doesn't know anything about it
    says the chair itself is in great condition but doesn't know about the electronics
    it probably at least needs batteries

amigo scooter (for outside) ~ 400
    http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/hab/2545433545.html
    no longer needed - batteries good
    checked on street - has good speed & runs well
    Last edited by jl2r; 08-19-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Can you get a neighbor to come check in the evening that the chair gets plugged in. I have set up with neighbors to take my mom to the store, doctors, etc. I pay them a pre arranged price.
    BFD, good idea, thanks. I will mention this to my mom tonight. She does have friends who help her to shop and get checkups. Unfortunately I'm 1/2 the country away from her.

A lot depends on your moms abilities, but an Amigo scooter doesn't offer much in terms of back support or comfort. They tend to be used by the walking elderly more than the significantly disabled, and are not terribly comfortable if she was going to have to sit in it for any extended period. The other thing about the Amigo is that you have the column sticking up with the drive mechanism right between her knees, making sideward transfers the only type possible, and making it more difficult to reach anything directly in front of her unless she swivels the seat and comes at it sidewards, which I would find a major pain to deal with.
    To be honest, I have never heard of a Merit chair in my life, and I keep up with what is out there. I would be concerned that getting it serviced could be a nightmare if it is such a rarity
    The Invacare looks good, offering her both comfort and stability. Invacare is a well respected brand that should be easy to get parts for as needed.

Eileen, your evaluation is very helpful.
    My mom wants to look at the invacare chair.
    Thank you.

Have you checked with your local Lions Club or other service organization? Ours has a wheelchair warehouse for longtime loanout. Many of the powerchairs and scooters are like brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Have you checked with your local Lion Club? Ours has a wheelchair warehouse for longtime loanout. Many of the powerchairs and scootlers are like brand new.
    Patrick, that's a great idea, thanks.

I have a Quickie V121 which, as I understand it, MAY be discontinued. I use it for lengthly shopping trips and even outside around my country property. There are similar chairs at www.spinlife.com for a lot less than the ones mentioned above. Just a thought. Mine is a smaller, lighter use chair, but PLENTY adequate, I'd think, for her, and especially easier for her to navigate around her house. Hope this helps!

I should mention that my chair is a folding version. These are usually smaller chairs which can be broken down for transport, although not especially practical, I'd think. At any rate mine is certainly adequate for this active user. It was a gift so I didn't research power chairs earlier, but I'm VERY happy with it!
    Last edited by Lynne; 08-20-2011 at 08:48 AM.