Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handicapped Parking Abuse/Disabled Civil Rights

Handicapped Parking Abuse/Disabled Civil Rights

I’ve lived independently for 25 years and currently the abuse of handicapped parking spaces has reached a point where I am physically unable to shop, go to the mall, drugstore or various restaurants because everybody has a HD parking placard and I cannot physically manage parking 100 feet from the entrance.

The MD’s that authorize them do not follow the medical guidelines and pass them out like candy.

If I were prevented from getting into a shop or restaurant because I was black it would be front-page news. Civil rights attorneys would be drooling buckets.

I have been ticketed (illegally) for parking in a regular spot when no HD spots were available.

Also, private and public parking authorities are no longer maintaining adequate HD spaces and ramps, especially in upscale, trendier shops.

If you can get info from your state DOT (like I did) you’d probably find that about 25-30% of drivers have a HD placard…and a second one. Nobody wants to address the issue where I live because, sadly, having a HD placard is a status symbol for some black folks.

Apparently FL has a statute that provides a hefty fine for any MD’s that frivolously sign for HD placards.

This is not trivial whining; how in the world is a newly SC-injured person expected to put extraordinary effort into living independently, only to find that she/he cannot even get into the grocery store, or post office, because every single HD spot is full; with 15% of the users having a valid disability and the rest fat or lazy malingers with a sore ankle and a sympathetic MD that inappropriately authorizes a HD parking placard?

I’d think that something so egregiously abused that so negatively affects the disabled would be a civil rights issue.

Would love to hear the experiences of others, especially what they did to address the problem.

Wtf?? You won't win any civil rights battles by using racist remarks.
    Quote Originally Posted by avictoria
    nobody wants to address the issue where i live because, sadly, having a hd placard is a status symbol for some black folks.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

How do you get a ticket for parking in a regular spot?

This is a excellent and well expressed point. It does need to be addressed more fervently..as you have..good work and keep up the effort! We need more activists like you who don't just bitch in their cars or vans when they can't find a place to park...it has become a point of negativity everytime we go try to park now..as in FLorida as you said..it is horrible and I personally have witnessed a NP (Nurse Practioner) ask a man in front of me "do you want me to give you a Handicapped permit letter?" He definately DIDNT qualify and it was done to keep business.

PS I hired a guy recently to do some home labor..who admitted he had one so he could not pay for parking when he went clubbing on Miami Beach!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

ideas we need ideas then advocacy

Thanks for the insight and replies.

I've seen Tree Service, Lawn Service and Roof Repair trucks filled with ladders and heavy equipment parked in HD spots with HD placards. The local police officer was kind enough to ask the tree service guy if he could call in his placard and sure enough--his HD placard was 'legitimate'. (The cop was thoroughly disgusted as well.)..the tree guy had suffered a sprained ankle 5 years earlier and his MD authorized him for a permanent HD placard. He couldn't walk more than 200 feet but could climb ladders all day I guess.

The nice lady at the local DMV told me she was disgusted by the number and apparent 'able-bodiedness' of the many, many folks that came in to get HD placards...umm she was a black lady.

As for my post being racist, you should also accuse me of being prejudiced against obese, other wise able bodied people, white blue-collar construction/laborers, and wealthy, white male Hummer drivers, because it's been my personal observation that those socioeconomic/societal groups account for a disproportionate amount of HD placard abuse.

I wonder if a formal letter or petition sent to the American Medical Association to complain about MD's that frivolously authorize HD placards would do any good???....especially if it was signed by other MD'S like Rehab physicians, Rehab nurses, etc as well as by we disabled folks????

Apparently Paralyzed Veterans of America had to raise **** to get legislation in FL enacted to make MD's liable for frivolous authorization. I sent a letter to my rep but unless A LOT of people make A LOT of noise nobody will do anything. I'm new to this forum and would love to see people here take an interest in this issue because if we can get a lot of people together with ideas and a bit of effort as a united voice we might be able to do something.

Would any of the medical professionals here care to give an opinion on this issue?

Before I get in trouble for using my lipstick to write "JERK" on work trucks with ladders parked in HD spots. heh heh

Thanks! get mad and get ideas and pass 'em along

Quote Originally Posted by avictoria View Post
    Thanks for the insight and replies.

I wonder if a formal letter or petition sent to the American Medical Association to complain about MD's that frivolously authorize HD placards would do any good???....especially if it was signed by other MD'S like Rehab physicians, Rehab nurses, etc as well as by we disabled folks????

Apparently Paralyzed Veterans of America had to raise **** to get legislation in FL enacted to make MD's liable for frivolous authorization. I sent a letter to my rep but unless A LOT of people make A LOT of noise nobody will do anything. I'm new to this forum and would love to see people here take an interest in this issue because if we can get a lot of people together with ideas and a bit of effort as a united voice we might be able to do something.

Thanks! get mad and get ideas and pass 'em along
    Yes, but if you cheat and there is no enforcement of such fines..what is the incentive! Trust me..it is given like candy..like you said and it needs to be stopped! a educational video would help..PSA put on local TV stations like the one Scorpion posted in French tv..I will try to find it ..here it is! http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=143491 very powerful! That would help alot..we need to get MAD like MADD!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

one more time...

How do you get a ticket for parking in a regular spot?

I don't know why the city parking official gave me a ticket for parking in a regular spot. He was ignoring others parking in the no-park zones adjacent to fire hydrants. I called the city attorney's office and they told me to disregard the ticket.

Ignorance of the parking statutes by those hired to enforce them.

sherocksandrolls,

that video is great. I'd like to get a video of the construction workers etc parking in HD spots.

Quote Originally Posted by avictoria View Post
    sherocksandrolls,

that video is great. I'd like to get a video of the construction workers etc parking in HD spots.
    Yes, I have often thought of that..they just dont get it and education is KEY..tv must place so many PSA's why not a really good video that really shows them (the public) in pictures how and why we need those spaces and the effect of the cheating..your first comments about losing independence is so powerful..people need to hear this.(I posted it on my fb!).then the pressure will be on..those who want to cheat. How many times do we see a litterer and say hey dont litter! well..PSA's have made us aware of drunk driving and littering..we need the same attention..as this is a EVERYDAY occurance for us..it affects us and out loved ones ( MY husband gets more pissed than me and then I dont; like that either!) I mean every time we go to the mall shouldnt be a negative experience!